strange login - Mandriva

This is a discussion on strange login - Mandriva ; I use MD 2008 pwp. I boot in text mode and finally end up with localhost login:_ and I give my user name Up comes xxxPassword:_ and the three x:es in front of 'Password' are the three first letters of ...

  1. strange login

    I use MD 2008 pwp.
    I boot in text mode and finally end up with
    localhost login:_ and I give my user name
    Up comes
    xxxPassword:_ and the three x:es in front of 'Password' are the three first
    letters of my login password.

    How can this be?
    I know very little about these things but this seems very strange to me.

    Maybe not a question, but still...?

  2. Re: strange login

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:08:42 +0100, Iordani wrote:
    > I use MD 2008 pwp.
    > I boot in text mode and finally end up with
    > localhost login:_ and I give my user name
    > Up comes
    > xxxPassword:_ and the three x:es in front of 'Password' are the three first
    > letters of my login password.

    I have never seen that problem and it is not right.

  3. Re: strange login

    Iordani wrote:
    > I use MD 2008 pwp.
    > I boot in text mode and finally end up with
    > localhost login:_ and I give my user name
    > Up comes
    > xxxPassword:_ and the three x:es in front of 'Password' are the three first
    > letters of my login password.

    Hmm. Maybe you're not waiting for the "password" prompt? For example,
    if your username is Iordani and your password is mandriva, maybe you're
    just typing

    Iordanimandriva

    instead of waiting for the password prompt to appear after typing your
    username and pressing . That might do it. Just a WAG.

    Adam

  4. Re: strange login

    Adam wrote:
    > ut
    > Hmm. Maybe you're not waiting for the "password" prompt? For example,
    > if your username is Iordani and your password is mandriva, maybe you're
    > just typing
    >
    > Iordanimandriva
    >
    > instead of waiting for the password prompt to appear after typing your
    > username and pressing . That might do it. Just a WAG.

    Yes, but wouldn't this imply that MD2008 accept a wrong password?

  5. Re: strange login

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:45:02 +0100, Iordani wrote:
    > Adam wrote:
    >> ut
    >> Hmm. Maybe you're not waiting for the "password" prompt? For example,
    >> if your username is Iordani and your password is mandriva, maybe you're
    >> just typing
    >>
    >> Iordanimandriva
    >>
    >> instead of waiting for the password prompt to appear after typing your
    >> username and pressing . That might do it. Just a WAG.

    > Yes, but wouldn't this imply that MD2008 accept a wrong password?

    What Adam is suggesting is you were in type ahead. System was sluggish
    in getting around to telling the console to not echo characters so the
    first few characters showed up in front of Password.

    Now if you were to log out again. Login with user id, wait until
    Password: show up then enter your password you would not see the
    problem.

    What I thought you indicated was that the xxxPassword showed up after
    hitting enter after user login id before starting to enter passwd.
    ..

  6. Re: strange login

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > Now if you were to log out again. Login with user id, wait until
    > Password: show up then enter your password you would not see the
    > problem.

    That's what I did, and that's what I did see.
    That is, the 'problem' did not happen again.

    > What I thought you indicated was that the xxxPassword showed up after
    > hitting enter after user login id before starting to enter passwd.

    That is what I'm saying, yes
    xxxPassword:_
    after entering user name and hitting 'enter'

  7. Re: strange login

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 00:34:15 +0100, Iordani wrote:

    >> What I thought you indicated was that the xxxPassword showed up after
    >> hitting enter after user login id before starting to enter passwd.

    > That is what I'm saying, yes
    > xxxPassword:_
    > after entering user name and hitting 'enter'

    Well, now you indicate a intermittent problem at best.

    Why not do an audit of the packages and their files.

    Click up a terminal, and enter the next 3 lines.
    su - root
    nice -n 19 rpm -Va > /tmp/verify
    exit

    When the terminal window disappears you know it's done and you then
    research what is in /tmp/verify.

    While the above runs for awhile, click up another terminal and do a
    man rpm
    because you are going to need to know what the funny characters mean
    before the file name. Example snippet.

    ..M?..... /etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap
    ...?..... /usr/sbin/suexec
    ..M?..... c /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb
    ..M?..... /etc/rc.d/init.d/kheader
    ...?..... /usr/lib/ssh/ssh-keysign
    ..M?..... /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd
    missing c /etc/cron.d/php
    .....L... c /etc/cron.daily/aide.check
    ...?..... /usr/sbin/aide

    Do look at the file to see if the flag makes sense. Example if
    /etc/hosts shows changed, that makes sense if you assigned a name to
    your system.

+ Reply to Thread