DHCP Problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on DHCP Problem - Mandriva ; Currently DHCP services on my 7-machine LAN are handled by a Linksys WAG54GS ADSL Modem/router. This is giving me trouble at present so when it is down, individual work-stations cannot make contact with the file-server. I want to transfer DHCP ...

  1. DHCP Problem

    Currently DHCP services on my 7-machine LAN are handled by a Linksys WAG54GS
    ADSL Modem/router. This is giving me trouble at present so when it is down,
    individual work-stations cannot make contact with the file-server.

    I want to transfer DHCP services to to the file server which runs under
    Mandriva 2006.0. This has always had a static address.

    I have set the network settings on the file server to do this but it will
    not work. Clearly I have misunderstood some of the requirements.

    From the settings dialog, under the TCP/IP Tab I have:

    IP Protocol: Protocol Static
    IP Address: 292.168.23.20 (the address of the server)
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: Here I have the address of the WAG54GS (?)
    DNS Servers: The two addresses shown by the WAG54GS Status window.
    Search Domain: My website address without the wwww.

    The DHCP Tab is greyed out.

    Can anyone help?

  2. Re: DHCP Problem

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Currently DHCP services on my 7-machine LAN are handled by a Linksys WAG54GS
    > ADSL Modem/router. This is giving me trouble at present so when it is down,
    > individual work-stations cannot make contact with the file-server.
    >
    > I want to transfer DHCP services to to the file server which runs under
    > Mandriva 2006.0. This has always had a static address.
    >
    > I have set the network settings on the file server to do this but it will
    > not work. Clearly I have misunderstood some of the requirements.
    >
    > From the settings dialog, under the TCP/IP Tab I have:
    >
    > IP Protocol: Protocol Static
    > IP Address: 292.168.23.20 (the address of the server)
    > Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    > Gateway: Here I have the address of the WAG54GS (?)
    > DNS Servers: The two addresses shown by the WAG54GS Status window.
    > Search Domain: My website address without the wwww.
    >
    > The DHCP Tab is greyed out.
    >
    > Can anyone help?

    Your IP Address should be a "private" IP address (like 192.168.0.2).
    Private in the sense that the address is one that is reserved for
    private internets as in RFC1918.
    Your Gateway should be the private address you use on your network to
    contact the router (like 192.168.0.1).
    Your DNS server should also be the private address of the router.

    (If the router's address is 192.168.x.y, then set your server to be
    192.168.x.2).

    You then have to run a DHCP service on your server.

    Robert

  3. Re: DHCP Problem

    Robert Harris wrote:

    > Your IP Address should be a "private" IP address (like 192.168.0.2).
    > Private in the sense that the address is one that is reserved for
    > private internets as in RFC1918.
    > Your Gateway should be the private address you use on your network to
    > contact the router (like 192.168.0.1).
    > Your DNS server should also be the private address of the router.
    >
    > (If the router's address is 192.168.x.y, then set your server to be
    > 192.168.x.2).
    >
    > You then have to run a DHCP service on your server.
    >
    > Robert

    I got quite exited by your reply. Unfortunately, the service (dhcpd) was not
    running and I cannot induce it to either. I tried dhcpd from a terminal and
    that told me that itcouldn't find dhcpd.conf. There was a sample file, the
    contents of which are:

    ddns-update-style none;
    subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    # default gateway
    option routers 192.168.0.1;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;

    option domain-name "domain.org";

    # Seting up an ip address is better here
    option domain-name-servers ns.domain.org;
    option nis-domain "domain.org";

    range dynamic-bootp 192.168.0.128 192.168.0.254;
    default-lease-time 21600;
    max-lease-time 43200;

    # we want the nameserver to appear at a fixed address
    host ns {
    next-server fixed.mandrakesoft.com;
    hardware ethernet 12:34:56:78:AB:CD;
    fixed-address 192.168.0.10;
    }
    }

    I thought possibly that rerunning the network setup would re-write
    dhcpd.conf but it didn't and I can only guess at what needs changing. If I
    tell you that we make the first three octets in each of our LAN-side
    addresses 192.168.23, should that be plugged into the conf file or is there
    more to it than that?

    Sorry to be such a pain.

    Alan

  4. Re: DHCP Problem

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:30:29 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    > Currently DHCP services on my 7-machine LAN are handled by a Linksys
    > WAG54GS ADSL Modem/router. This is giving me trouble at present so when
    > it is down, individual work-stations cannot make contact with the
    > file-server.

    Why would it be down? It should be on 24/7.

    > I want to transfer DHCP services to to the file server which runs under
    > Mandriva 2006.0. This has always had a static address.

    So put a switch behind the router and assign static addresses to all your
    machines. If the router goes down, it doesn't affect your network.

    > I have set the network settings on the file server to do this but it
    > will not work. Clearly I have misunderstood some of the requirements.
    >
    > From the settings dialog, under the TCP/IP Tab I have:
    >
    > IP Protocol: Protocol Static
    > IP Address: 292.168.23.20 (the address of the server) Netmask:
    > 255.255.255.0
    > Gateway: Here I have the address of the WAG54GS (?) DNS Servers: The
    > two addresses shown by the WAG54GS Status window. Search Domain: My
    > website address without the wwww.
    >
    > The DHCP Tab is greyed out.
    >
    > Can anyone help?

    Although I'd use the routers ip for dns, but it shouldn't matter. This
    looks ok assuming all the ip's are correct. Is your routers address
    actually 292.168.23.xx? If not that's your problem. The router is part of
    the internal network and it's address should be the same base address as
    all the machines in your network. IOW's if the router address is
    192.168.0.1 (which many default to), then all your machine adresses
    should be 192.168.0.<2-253>. I have a feeling you've assigned the wrong
    IP to your server, not matching the routers base IP.

  5. Re: DHCP Problem

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:30:29 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> Currently DHCP services on my 7-machine LAN are handled by a Linksys
    >> WAG54GS ADSL Modem/router. This is giving me trouble at present so when
    >> it is down, individual work-stations cannot make contact with the
    >> file-server.
    >>

    > Why would it be down? It should be on 24/7.

    It is down when I turn am trying to get the damn thing to work properly like
    it did up to Monday! From then I could receive and send emails and access
    newsgroups but not the WWW. A a result I have had long spells with Linksys
    tech support uploading new firmware and fiddling with the settings. That is
    why I referred to it as 'down'

    >> I want to transfer DHCP services to to the file server which runs under
    >> Mandriva 2006.0. This has always had a static address.

    > So put a switch behind the router and assign static addresses to all your
    > machines. If the router goes down, it doesn't affect your network.
    >
    >> I have set the network settings on the file server to do this but it
    >> will not work. Clearly I have misunderstood some of the requirements.
    >>
    >> From the settings dialog, under the TCP/IP Tab I have:
    >>
    >> IP Protocol: Protocol Static
    >> IP Address: 292.168.23.20 (the address of the server) Netmask:
    >> 255.255.255.0
    >> Gateway: Here I have the address of the WAG54GS (?) DNS Servers: The
    >> two addresses shown by the WAG54GS Status window. Search Domain: My
    >> website address without the wwww.
    >>
    >> The DHCP Tab is greyed out.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help?

    > Although I'd use the routers ip for dns, but it shouldn't matter. This
    > looks ok assuming all the ip's are correct. Is your routers address
    > actually 292.168.23.xx? If not that's your problem. The router is part of
    > the internal network and it's address should be the same base address as
    > all the machines in your network. IOW's if the router address is
    > 192.168.0.1 (which many default to), then all your machine adresses
    > should be 192.168.0.<2-253>. I have a feeling you've assigned the wrong
    > IP to your server, not matching the routers base IP.

    The 292 was a typo. It should have read 192.168.23.20. AS you can see from
    other mailings, dhcpd on the file-server is stopped. It wouldn't start
    because it couldn't see dhcpd.conf. When I checked there wan't one, jus a
    sample. I have pasted its contents into another mailing on tgis thread.

    Thanks for trying to help.

    Alan

  6. Re: DHCP Problem

    On 15 Feb at 16:00 Wes Newell wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Although I'd use the routers ip for dns, but it shouldn't matter. This
    > looks ok assuming all the ip's are correct. Is your routers address
    > actually 292.168.23.xx? If not that's your problem.

    It's obviously a typo. I don't think anyone would consider 292 valid

    [snip]

    --
    Tony van der Hoff | mailto:news_0711@vanderhoff.org
    Buckinghamshire, England

  7. Re: DHCP Problem

    In article <5cSdnd8dcM2twSjanZ2dnUVZ8sGvnZ2d@pipex.net>,
    Alan Secker wrote:

    > From the settings dialog, under the TCP/IP Tab I have:

    > IP Protocol: Protocol Static
    > IP Address: 292.168.23.20 (the address of the server)
    > Netmask: 255.255.255.0

    292 is outside the range 0..255, so the IP address you have there is
    not valid. Did you mean 192 (which would mean that the address is one
    from the RFC1918 allocations)?

    --
    Paul Martin

  8. Re: DHCP Problem

    Robert Harris wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> Currently DHCP services on my 7-machine LAN are handled by a Linksys
    >> WAG54GS ADSL Modem/router. This is giving me trouble at present so when
    >> it is down, individual work-stations cannot make contact with the
    >> file-server.
    >>
    >> I want to transfer DHCP services to to the file server which runs under
    >> Mandriva 2006.0. This has always had a static address.
    >>
    >> I have set the network settings on the file server to do this but it will
    >> not work. Clearly I have misunderstood some of the requirements.
    >>
    >> From the settings dialog, under the TCP/IP Tab I have:
    >>
    >> IP Protocol: Protocol Static
    >> IP Address: 292.168.23.20 (the address of the server)
    >> Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    >> Gateway: Here I have the address of the WAG54GS (?)
    >> DNS Servers: The two addresses shown by the WAG54GS Status window.
    >> Search Domain: My website address without the wwww.
    >>
    >> The DHCP Tab is greyed out.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help?

    > Your IP Address should be a "private" IP address (like 192.168.0.2).
    > Private in the sense that the address is one that is reserved for
    > private internets as in RFC1918.
    > Your Gateway should be the private address you use on your network to
    > contact the router (like 192.168.0.1).
    > Your DNS server should also be the private address of the router.
    >
    > (If the router's address is 192.168.x.y, then set your server to be
    > 192.168.x.2).
    >
    > You then have to run a DHCP service on your server.
    >
    > Robert

    Sorted, thanks to you. I edited dhcpd.conf and saved it. I had to run the
    system down and reboot for unconnected reasons. By this time I had Googled
    for details of dhcpd.conf. When I next looked at /etc in order to improve
    my editing, I found two files dhcpd.conf and dhcp.conf. They were very
    similar so I edited both of them. When I restarted dhcpd everything worked!
    Thanks again.

    Alan Secker

+ Reply to Thread