Creative WebCam Optia Under Mandriva 2007.1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Creative WebCam Optia Under Mandriva 2007.1 - Mandriva ; I have a Creative Optia Webcam I am trying to get working under Mandriva 2007.1 When I plug it in to the USB port it lights up for a moment, but then I am not able to access it. I ...

  1. Creative WebCam Optia Under Mandriva 2007.1

    I have a Creative Optia Webcam I am trying to get working under Mandriva
    2007.1

    When I plug it in to the USB port it lights up for a moment, but then I
    am not able to access it. I get the following output from dmesg

    usb 3-2: USB disconnect, address 4
    usb 3-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
    uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device VF0380 Live! Cam Optia Pro (041e:4065)
    Device initialization failed: the default format and/or frame are not
    valid.
    uvcvideo: <3>uvcvideo: Failed to initialize the device (-22).
    5:3:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x84
    usb 3-2: USB disconnect, address 5
    usb 3-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
    uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device VF0380 Live! Cam Optia Pro (041e:4065)
    Device initialization failed: the default format and/or frame are not
    valid.
    uvcvideo: <3>uvcvideo: Failed to initialize the device (-22).
    6:3:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x84

    Running wmwebcam gives me
    Can't open device /dev/video.

  2. Re: Creative WebCam Optia Under Correction it's 2008.0

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:50:13 -0600, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > I have a Creative Optia Webcam I am trying to get working under Mandriva
    > 2008.0
    >
    > When I plug it in to the USB port it lights up for a moment, but then I
    > am not able to access it. I get the following output from dmesg
    >
    > usb 3-2: USB disconnect, address 4
    > usb 3-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5 usb 3-2:
    > configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device
    > VF0380 Live! Cam Optia Pro (041e:4065) Device initialization failed: the
    > default format and/or frame are not valid.
    > uvcvideo: <3>uvcvideo: Failed to initialize the device (-22). 5:3:1:
    > cannot get freq at ep 0x84
    > usb 3-2: USB disconnect, address 5
    > usb 3-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6 usb 3-1:
    > configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device
    > VF0380 Live! Cam Optia Pro (041e:4065) Device initialization failed: the
    > default format and/or frame are not valid.
    > uvcvideo: <3>uvcvideo: Failed to initialize the device (-22). 6:3:1:
    > cannot get freq at ep 0x84
    >
    > Running wmwebcam gives me
    > Can't open device /dev/video.

  3. Re: Creative WebCam Optia Under Mandriva 2007.1

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:50:13 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > I have a Creative Optia Webcam I am trying to get working under Mandriva
    > 2007.1
    > uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device VF0380 Live! Cam Optia Pro (041e:4065)

    According to
    http://connect.creativelabs.com/open.../AllItems.aspx
    that webcam is handled by uvc v4l2. More info at http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/

    Run "modprobe -v uvcvideo" If needed (i.e. not automatically done by loading
    the uvcvideo module, load v4l2_common, and if
    not already loaded, videodev,
    v4l1_compat, compat_ioctl32 and usbcore. Then connect the webcam, and check
    syslog to see if it is being registered.

    The software that will work with v4l2 webcams is limited. Google groups doesn't
    seem to be responding right now. When it is, look for the thread here titled
    "Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe", from early January, for some
    applications the do and do not work with v4l2.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Creative WebCam Optia Under Mandriva 2007.1

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 00:02:51 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:50:13 -0500, Les B. Labbauf
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Creative Optia Webcam I am trying to get working under
    >> Mandriva 2007.1
    >> uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device VF0380 Live! Cam Optia Pro (041e:4065)

    > According to
    > http://connect.creativelabs.com/open...cam%20Support/

    AllItems.aspx
    > that webcam is handled by uvc v4l2. More info at
    > http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/
    >
    > Run "modprobe -v uvcvideo" If needed (i.e. not automatically done by
    not already
    > loaded, videodev, v4l1_compat, compat_ioctl32 and usbcore. Then connect
    > the webcam, and check syslog to see if it is being registered.
    >
    > The software that will work with v4l2 webcams is limited. Google groups
    > doesn't seem to be responding right now. When it is, look for the
    > thread here titled "Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe", from
    > early January, for some applications the do and do not work with v4l2.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Would I be better off returning it and getting another camera like a
    logitech?

  5. Re: Creative WebCam Optia Under Mandriva 2007.1

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 00:14:27 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > Would I be better off returning it and getting another camera like a
    > logitech?

    Try the uvcvideo first. If it doesn't work, or doesn't work with the
    software you want to use it with, then consider a replacement. Whatever
    the make/model, find out whether or not it works with linux, and which
    driver is needed, before you buy it.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Creative WebCam Optia Under Mandriva 2007.1

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 00:16:33 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 00:14:27 -0500, Les B. Labbauf
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Would I be better off returning it and getting another camera like a
    >> logitech?

    > Try the uvcvideo first. If it doesn't work, or doesn't work with the
    > software you want to use it with, then consider a replacement. Whatever
    > the make/model, find out whether or not it works with linux, and which
    > driver is needed, before you buy it.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    I had read on several webpages that this should have just been plug and
    play.

    The MCC Hardware browser does recognize the cam:

    Identification
    Vendor: ‎Creative Technology Ltd

    Media class: ‎Video|Video Control

    Connection
    Bus: ‎USB

    Bus PCI #: ‎1

    PCI device #: ‎2

    Vendor ID: ‎0x041e

    Device ID: ‎0x4065

    Sub vendor ID: ‎0x0000

    Sub device ID: ‎0x0000

    Misc
    Module: ‎unknown

    tried the modprobe uvcvideo but no luck yet. Will keep trying. I am
    hoping I don't have to return it.

  7. Re: Creative WebCam Optia Under Mandriva 2007.1

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 05:58:48 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 00:16:33 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> Try the uvcvideo first. If it doesn't work, or doesn't work with the
    >> software you want to use it with, then consider a replacement. Whatever
    >> the make/model, find out whether or not it works with linux, and which
    >> driver is needed, before you buy it.

    > I had read on several webpages that this should have just been plug and
    > play.

    Most newer webcams use the uvcvideo driver with the v4l2 interface. It's
    only a matter of time for the older applications to add support for the
    v4l2 interface, or be replaced by apps that have it.

    With the uvcvideo module loaded, what do you get in syslog, when you
    connect the webcam?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins