kernel Modules - Mandriva

This is a discussion on kernel Modules - Mandriva ; I am running Mandriva 2008 and tried out Virtual Box and then removed it by using the package manager. The problem I am having is at each boot it keeps trying to install the virtual box modules, I checked with ...

  1. kernel Modules

    I am running Mandriva 2008 and tried out Virtual Box and then removed it
    by using the package manager.

    The problem I am having is at each boot it keeps trying to install the
    virtual box modules,

    I checked with the module-init-tools the modules are not loaded.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Synergy

  2. Re: kernel Modules

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:19:05 -0500, Synergy wrote:

    > The problem I am having is at each boot it keeps trying to install the
    > virtual box modules,

    Sounds like you still have one of the following still installed ...
    dkms-vboxadd
    dkms-vboxvfs
    dkms-virtualbox
    vboxadd-kernel-*
    vboxvfs-kernel-*
    virtualbox-kernel-*
    virtualbox
    virtualbox-guest-additions
    x11-driver-input-vboxmouse
    x11-driver-video-vboxvideo

    Assuming you have /etc/cron.daily/rpm running, and have
    let it run since removing virtualbox, run
    grep vbox /var/log/rpmpkgs and
    grep virtualbox /var/log/rpmpkgs
    to see which ones still have to be removed.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: kernel Modules

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:18:44 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:19:05 -0500, Synergy
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The problem I am having is at each boot it keeps trying to install the
    >> virtual box modules,

    > Sounds like you still have one of the following still installed ...
    > dkms-vboxadd
    > dkms-vboxvfs
    > dkms-virtualbox
    > vboxadd-kernel-*
    > vboxvfs-kernel-*
    > virtualbox-kernel-*
    > virtualbox
    > virtualbox-guest-additions
    > x11-driver-input-vboxmouse
    > x11-driver-video-vboxvideo
    >
    > Assuming you have /etc/cron.daily/rpm running, and have let it run since
    > removing virtualbox, run grep vbox /var/log/rpmpkgs and
    > grep virtualbox /var/log/rpmpkgs
    > to see which ones still have to be removed.

    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was about to post a very similar
    message to the one Synergy posted as I am experiencing the very same.
    Have checked the rpms and have none of the above still installed.

  4. Re: kernel Modules

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:07:09 -0500, Jo Shloe wrote:

    > Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was about to post a very similar
    > message to the one Synergy posted as I am experiencing the very same.
    > Have checked the rpms and have none of the above still installed.

    Check /etc/modprobe.preload, all files in /etc/modprobe.preload.d.
    If it isn't there, check the services loaded from /etc/rc.d/init.d.
    If you find a file in /etc/rc.d/init.d/v????, you can use
    "chkconfig v???? off", to remove the various symlinks in
    /etc/rc.d/rc5.d, and other levels, and then delete the file from
    /etc/rc.d/init.d.

    If it isn't being loaded from one of the above, run "dkms status",
    to see if there's anything left there from vbox. In /var/lib/dkms,
    delete the sub-directory for the module you no longer want.

    The above should have been removed by removing the rpms for vbox,
    but if it wasn't, for example, due to the files being in use when
    the rpm was removed, the above should finish removing the vbox
    startup files.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: kernel Modules

    Dave thanks all is good now.

    Thank you for such a lot of good information.

    Regards
    Ronald

  6. Re: kernel Modules

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 01:25:56 +0000, Synergy wrote:

    > Dave thanks all is good now.

    Likewise here. The last part fixed it, dkms status showed virtualbox,
    vboxadd and vboxvfs. Deleted all three subdirs as you said. Thanks once
    again.

+ Reply to Thread