Internet Problem, Off-Topic but.. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Internet Problem, Off-Topic but.. - Mandriva ; I have a Linksys WAG54GS ADSL/Router providing DHCP service to a small LAN. It has been working pretty well for many months. Yesterday web access ceased but I could get emails in and out and also access newsgroups. Today Linksys ...

  1. Internet Problem, Off-Topic but..

    I have a Linksys WAG54GS ADSL/Router providing DHCP service to a small LAN.
    It has been working pretty well for many months. Yesterday web access
    ceased but
    I could get emails in and out and also access newsgroups.

    Today Linksys emailed me a firmware update insisting on hand-holding me
    when I installed it. It went well and web access was restored. A couple of
    hours later it had gone again yet the WAG54GS seems to be working properly.

    Any suggestions of what might be wring would be gratefully received.

    A secondary problem is the DHCP business. Prior to using the WAG54GS we used
    static addresses for all our machines. Now only the printers have them. I
    would like to set up our Mandriva file server to deliver DHCP services so
    that we can access our file even if the WAG54GS goes down. This is
    unfamiliar territory for me so I am nervous of disrupting the work of my
    colleagues.

    Again advice would be welcome.

  2. Re: Internet Problem, Off-Topic but..

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > I have a Linksys WAG54GS ADSL/Router providing DHCP service to a small LAN.
    > It has been working pretty well for many months. Yesterday web access
    > ceased but
    > I could get emails in and out and also access newsgroups.
    >
    > Today Linksys emailed me a firmware update insisting on hand-holding me
    > when I installed it. It went well and web access was restored. A couple of
    > hours later it had gone again yet the WAG54GS seems to be working properly.
    >
    > Any suggestions of what might be wring would be gratefully received.
    >
    > A secondary problem is the DHCP business. Prior to using the WAG54GS we used
    > static addresses for all our machines. Now only the printers have them. I
    > would like to set up our Mandriva file server to deliver DHCP services so
    > that we can access our file even if the WAG54GS goes down. This is
    > unfamiliar territory for me so I am nervous of disrupting the work of my
    > colleagues.
    >
    > Again advice would be welcome.

    you need to install dhcpd on the file server

    you will also need to disable dhcp in the router

    I would leave 1 workstation with a static ip until you get the wrinkles
    worked out, so you can still access the router and turn dhcp back on if
    you give up for the night or something.

    here is the guts of my dhcpd.conf file to get you started

    option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.5;
    option routers 192.168.1.1;
    ddns-update-style none;
    allow booting;
    allow bootp;

    authoritative;
    # not authoritative;

    # the class know exist just for deny the response to other DHCP request
    class "known" {
    match hardware;
    one-lease-per-client on;
    ddns-updates on;
    ddns-domainname = "";
    option domain-name "";
    option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.5;
    ddns-hostname = pick-first-value(ddns-hostname, option host-name);
    option fqdn.no-client-update on;
    set vendor_class_identifier = option vendor-class-identifier;
    }

    # TAG: COMPUTER_LIST_BEGIN
    #host compute9{
    # hardware ethernet 00:02:b3:3f:7e:b7;
    # fixed-address compute9;
    # TAG: COMPUTER_LIST_END

    # subnet 192.168.200.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    option routers 192.168.1.1;
    default-lease-time 28800;
    max-lease-time 86400;
    option domain-name "";
    option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.5 , 192.168.1.1;
    next-server 192.168.1.5;
    pool {
    range 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.199;
    }
    # diehardp4
    host diehardp4.local {
    hardware ethernet 00:01:29:74:87:11;
    fixed-address 192.168.1.100;
    }
    # diehardamdlt
    host diehardamdlt.local {
    hardware ethernet 00:0b:cd:e8:45:4d;
    fixed-address 192.168.1.101;
    }
    # alyssamac
    host AlyssaMac.local {
    hardware ethernet 00:17:f2:c5:8c:a0;
    fixed-address 192.168.1.103;
    }
    # diehardamdlt wireless
    host diehardamdlt.local.wlan {
    hardware ethernet 00:02:8a:9f:9c:27;
    fixed-address 192.168.1.102;
    }
    }
    key dhcp-update {
    secret dhcp;
    algorithm hmac-md5;
    }
    zone local. {
    primary 192.168.1.5;
    key dhcp-update;
    }

    I like to use webmin to configure the server myself, makes things a lot
    easer.

    as for the webaccess problems, try pinging some websites

    www.mandriva.com
    www.diehard67.ca (my website)
    diehard67.dyndns.org (se server, not the one with diehard67.ca on it thow)
    whetever else you want, if you can send and receive email and news then
    web access is working, maby just not port 80

    if you can ping then the roter is letting trafic out

    pic over your settings in the router with a fine tooth comb, check it's
    logs mabe clues can be found

    personly I use dlink routers and the only time I can't access the
    internet is when it is my isps fault.

    hth

+ Reply to Thread