2.6.24 vanilla kernel will not boot Mdv 2007.1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2.6.24 vanilla kernel will not boot Mdv 2007.1 - Mandriva ; This is a new one for me. I tried to install the linux 2.6.24 kernel from kernel.org using the regular method: 1. download it from kernel.org and unpack into /usr/src 2. get the latest "linus" source (this from 2.6.23-0.rc8) 3. ...

  1. 2.6.24 vanilla kernel will not boot Mdv 2007.1

    This is a new one for me. I tried to install the linux 2.6.24 kernel
    from kernel.org using the regular method:

    1. download it from kernel.org and unpack into /usr/src
    2. get the latest "linus" source (this from 2.6.23-0.rc8)
    3. ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.24 /usr/src/linux
    4. cd /usr/src/linux
    5. make mrproper
    6. cp (config from linus source 2) ./.config
    7. make oldconfig (and accept all defaults)
    8. make all
    9. make modules_install
    10. make install
    11. lilo

    Problem is, when it tries to boot 2.6.24 it does

    creating root device
    unable to access resume device

    and then it kernel panics shortly thereafter.

    The lilo entry is:

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24
    label="2.6.24"
    root=/dev/hda3
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.24.img
    append="resume=/dev/hda2"

    which is identical to the 2.6.19.3 lilo entry which works.

    So I compared the .config from 2.6.19.3 and 2.6.24, and there were a lot
    of changes. This is an ATA system, and it isn't finding an ATA device,
    so I looked hardest in that section and found these changes (old->new):

    CONFIG_IDE=y -> CONFIG_IDE=m
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y -> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=m
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y -> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=m

    Seems likely to me that the kernel does not have IDE built into it, and
    cannot load it as a module because, well, it has no IDE in it and so
    cannot read the disk where the modules live. Is this reasonable or has
    some other IDE boot mode been added to recent kernels which should have
    worked around this issue?

    Anybody else seen this? If it isn't changing these 3 parameters back
    what is the fix?

    Thank you,

    David Mathog

  2. Re: 2.6.24 vanilla kernel will not boot Mdv 2007.1

    David Mathog wrote:

    > CONFIG_IDE=y -> CONFIG_IDE=m
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y -> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=m
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y -> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=m
    >
    > Seems likely to me that the kernel does not have IDE built into it, and
    > cannot load it as a module because, well, it has no IDE in it and so
    > cannot read the disk where the modules live.

    That was apparently it. Changed all of these m->y and booted.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  3. Re: 2.6.24 vanilla kernel will not boot Mdv 2007.1

    David Mathog wrote:
    > David Mathog wrote:
    >
    >> CONFIG_IDE=y -> CONFIG_IDE=m
    >> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y -> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=m
    >> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y -> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=m
    >>
    >> Seems likely to me that the kernel does not have IDE built into it,
    >> and cannot load it as a module because, well, it has no IDE in it and
    >> so cannot read the disk where the modules live.

    > That was apparently it. Changed all of these m->y and booted.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > David Mathog

    also creating the initrd will fix that problem

    mkinitrd command, can't remember how to use it thow.

+ Reply to Thread