Need new newsgroup service - any suggestions? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Need new newsgroup service - any suggestions? - Mandriva ; I've been using a free account with Teranews, and they just aren't cutting it. Lately, post after post never makes it to Usenet, or takes a good week to get posted. I haven't been able to get a post up ...

  1. Need new newsgroup service - any suggestions?

    I've been using a free account with Teranews, and they just aren't
    cutting it. Lately, post after post never makes it to Usenet, or takes
    a good week to get posted. I haven't been able to get a post up since
    Feb. 6, and an inquiry has gone unanswered. That's just not
    acceptable, even with a free account. My ISP doesn't provide
    newsgroups, so I need a new service. Preferably free, but I can deal
    with low cost if necessary - the lower the better. I don't need
    binaries, so a low download limit shouldn't be a problem. I know a lot
    of people don't read Google Groups posts, so that's not a viable
    option. (Somebody please quote this, so those that filter Google
    Groups posts will see it, too. Thanks.)

    Any suggestions?

    TJ

  2. Re: Need new newsgroup service - any suggestions?

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:04:06 -0800 (PST), TJ wrote:
    > I've been using a free account with Teranews, and they just aren't
    > cutting it. Lately, post after post never makes it to Usenet, or takes
    > a good week to get posted.

    > Any suggestions?

    motzarella.org for text only.

  3. Re: Need new newsgroup service - any suggestions?

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:04:06 -0800, TJ wrote:

    > I've been using a free account with Teranews, and they just aren't
    > cutting it. Lately, post after post never makes it to Usenet, or takes a
    > good week to get posted. I haven't been able to get a post up since Feb.
    > 6, and an inquiry has gone unanswered. That's just not acceptable, even
    > with a free account. My ISP doesn't provide newsgroups, so I need a new
    > service. Preferably free, but I can deal with low cost if necessary -
    > the lower the better. I don't need binaries, so a low download limit
    > shouldn't be a problem. I know a lot of people don't read Google Groups
    > posts, so that's not a viable option. (Somebody please quote this, so
    > those that filter Google Groups posts will see it, too. Thanks.)
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TJ

    I use news.individual.net - costs about $15/year.

  4. Re: Need new newsgroup service - any suggestions?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:04:06 -0800 (PST), TJ wrote:
    >> I've been using a free account with Teranews, and they just aren't
    >> cutting it. Lately, post after post never makes it to Usenet, or takes
    >> a good week to get posted.

    >> Any suggestions?

    > motzarella.org for text only.

    I tried Motzarella about a year ago, and at that time they had problems
    getting feeds from some of the newsgroups I frequent. Maybe things are
    different now, so I'll give them another chance. This is my first post
    using that service, so I suppose it's a test message. (At least I didn't
    use "Test" as the subject line...)

    TJ

  5. Re: Need new newsgroup service - any suggestions?

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:22:32 -0500, TJ wrote:

    > I tried Motzarella about a year ago, and at that time they had problems
    > getting feeds from some of the newsgroups I frequent. Maybe things are
    > different now, so I'll give them another chance.

    Have not seen that problem. been pretty good except last two Saturday
    evenings late at night. There were brief login problems.

    > This is my first post using that service, so I suppose it's a test
    > message. (At least I didn't use "Test" as the subject line...)

    Thank you, thank you, thank you. :-)

  6. Re: Need new newsgroup service - any suggestions?

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 00:52:38 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    >> I've been using a free account with Teranews, and they just aren't
    >> cutting it. Lately, post after post never makes it to Usenet, or takes
    >> a good week to get posted.
    >> Any suggestions?

    > motzarella.org for text only.

    Seconded.

  7. Re: Need new newsgroup service - any suggestions?

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 00:52:38 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >>> I've been using a free account with Teranews, and they just aren't
    >>> cutting it. Lately, post after post never makes it to Usenet, or takes
    >>> a good week to get posted.
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> motzarella.org for text only.

    > Seconded.