Format Linux USB Hard Drive? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Format Linux USB Hard Drive? - Mandriva ; I installed Mandriva Linux 2006 in February 2006 to my LaCie 160 GB USB hard drive. My Windows XP laptop can't recognize the drive, so how do I format it?...

  1. Format Linux USB Hard Drive?

    I installed Mandriva Linux 2006 in February 2006 to my LaCie 160 GB
    USB hard drive. My Windows XP laptop can't recognize the drive, so how
    do I format it?

  2. Re: Format Linux USB Hard Drive?

    On Feb 12, 1:42*pm, "Tomi Häsä" wrote:
    > I installed Mandriva Linux 2006 in February 2006 to my LaCie 160 GB
    > USB hard drive. My Windows XP laptop can't recognize the drive, so how
    > do I format it?

    I tried installing Ubuntu Linux 7.10 to it, but wasn't able to re-
    partition it, so the hard drive might be broken...

  3. Re: Format Linux USB Hard Drive?

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 03:42:18 -0800, Tomi Häsä wrote:

    > I installed Mandriva Linux 2006 in February 2006 to my LaCie 160 GB USB
    > hard drive. My Windows XP laptop can't recognize the drive, so how do I
    > format it?

    You can run gparted from a Live CD to partition and format. If you have
    any doubts, run 'badblocks' on the drive first.

  4. Re: Format Linux USB Hard Drive?

    "Tomi Häsä" wrote in message
    >I installed Mandriva Linux 2006 in February 2006 to my LaCie 160 GB
    > USB hard drive. My Windows XP laptop can't recognize the drive, so how
    > do I format it?

    There is a convention that you should remove partitions with the same
    software/os that created them. Windoze really does a poor job of working
    with non windoze partitions.

    As suggested, boot from a love linux cd - ubuntu or knoppix will work, also
    can do it booting from a mandriva install cd/dvd.

    XP should be able to recognize the DRIVE, even with foreign partitions on
    it. I would check the drive on other machines to make sure it is reporting
    properly, and ensure your usb port is functioning correctly.

    Later tonight I'll check my usb/ext3 drive on the xp systems here, to see
    what I get.

    Stuart

  5. Re: Format Linux USB Hard Drive?

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 00:04:53 GMT, Stuart Miller wrote:

    > There is a convention that you should remove partitions with the same
    > software/os that created them.

    Then create/format partition with the OS tools which owns the format.
    Example: windows format, use windows tool.
    linux format, use linux tool.

  6. Re: Format Linux USB Hard Drive?

    "Stuart Miller" wrote in message

    > "Tomi Häsä" wrote in message
    >>I installed Mandriva Linux 2006 in February 2006 to my LaCie 160 GB
    >> USB hard drive. My Windows XP laptop can't recognize the drive, so how
    >> do I format it?

    > There is a convention that you should remove partitions with the same
    > software/os that created them. Windoze really does a poor job of working
    > with non windoze partitions.
    >
    > As suggested, boot from a love linux cd - ubuntu or knoppix will work,
    > also can do it booting from a mandriva install cd/dvd.
    >
    > XP should be able to recognize the DRIVE, even with foreign partitions on
    > it. I would check the drive on other machines to make sure it is reporting
    > properly, and ensure your usb port is functioning correctly.
    >
    > Later tonight I'll check my usb/ext3 drive on the xp systems here, to see
    > what I get.
    >
    > Stuart

    I stand corrected here.

    XP will do its usual 'happy' chime when I plug in the usb drive, but it does
    not show up on 'my computer'.
    I know the usb drive is working properly on my linux machine, so I guess its
    just windoze being itself.

    I can not offer any solution here - I don't want to mess with the drive and
    xp anymore.

    Stuart

  7. Re: Format Linux USB Hard Drive?

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:28:47 -0500, Stuart Miller wrote:

    > XP will do its usual 'happy' chime when I plug in the usb drive, but it does
    > not show up on 'my computer'.

    XP will not show the filesystems in my computer. If you go into control panel,
    administrative tools, manage computer, it will show the drive and unrecognized
    partitions.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  8. Re: Format Linux USB Hard Drive?

    On Feb 14, 7:28*am, "Stuart Miller" wrote:
    > I stand corrected here.
    >
    > XP will do its usual 'happy' chime when I plug in the usb drive, but it does
    > not show up on 'my computer'.
    > I know the usb drive is working properly on my linux machine, so I guess its
    > just windoze being itself.

    If I recall correctly, with Windows 2000 and/or Windows XP SP1 it was
    possible to format a hard drive using FAT32 (and NTFS), which is used
    by Linux (I guess), so maybe Microsoft has made an evil plan not to
    recognize/support FAT32 and/or Linux drives/partitions anymore...

  9. Re: Format Linux USB Hard Drive?

    Tomi Häsä wrote:
    > On Feb 14, 7:28 am, "Stuart Miller" wrote:
    >
    >>I stand corrected here.
    >>
    >>XP will do its usual 'happy' chime when I plug in the usb drive, but it does
    >>not show up on 'my computer'.
    >>I know the usb drive is working properly on my linux machine, so I guess its
    >>just windoze being itself.

    > If I recall correctly, with Windows 2000 and/or Windows XP SP1 it was
    > possible to format a hard drive using FAT32 (and NTFS), which is used
    > by Linux (I guess), so maybe Microsoft has made an evil plan not to
    > recognize/support FAT32 and/or Linux drives/partitions anymore...

    FAT32 /can/ be used by Linux, if you're using a USB key or a partition
    that has to be accessible to Windows. But it's not really recommended,
    otherwise.

    NTFS is not a Linux format either, although I believe support for it is
    improving in Linux. It's Windows' native format.

    So maybe you have formatted the drive as Ext2, Ext3, Reiser, XFS or one
    of the other non-Windows formats?

    If you boot Linux, with a live CD as Stuart suggested (I assume he meant
    live, although we all love it, too ) then the cfdisk program should
    let you delete all partitions on the drive and create one or more FAT32
    partitions on it. Then Windows may be able to see it.

    *** But please check and double-check that the drive you are ***
    *** cfdisking is the one you *wanted* to cfdisk!!! ***

    Unfortunately, there are different possibilities when partitioning a
    device for FAT32. (I'm not an expert on this. I reformatted a USB key
    recently; now it works on Linux and Windows but my CD player won't read
    it any more.) cfdisk may give a warning that the layout you have chosen
    will give Windows some indigestion. But the warnings are reasonably
    clear so you should be able to fix them.

    Frank

  10. Re: Format Linux USB Hard Drive?

    If you heard a cihme on XP but you can not see the external HD, go to
    computer management
    and click on the Disk Manager if you see your USB HD There you just need to
    Activate that hard drive sometimes it happens to me to this is a windows
    problem.
    i hope that will help u

    > "Stuart Miller" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tomi Häsä" wrote in message
    >>>I installed Mandriva Linux 2006 in February 2006 to my LaCie 160 GB
    >>> USB hard drive. My Windows XP laptop can't recognize the drive, so how
    >>> do I format it?

    >> There is a convention that you should remove partitions with the same
    >> software/os that created them. Windoze really does a poor job of working
    >> with non windoze partitions.
    >>
    >> As suggested, boot from a love linux cd - ubuntu or knoppix will work,
    >> also can do it booting from a mandriva install cd/dvd.
    >>
    >> XP should be able to recognize the DRIVE, even with foreign partitions on
    >> it. I would check the drive on other machines to make sure it is
    >> reporting properly, and ensure your usb port is functioning correctly.
    >>
    >> Later tonight I'll check my usb/ext3 drive on the xp systems here, to see
    >> what I get.
    >>
    >> Stuart
    >>

    > I stand corrected here.
    >
    > XP will do its usual 'happy' chime when I plug in the usb drive, but it
    > does not show up on 'my computer'.
    > I know the usb drive is working properly on my linux machine, so I guess
    > its just windoze being itself.
    >
    > I can not offer any solution here - I don't want to mess with the drive
    > and xp anymore.
    >
    > Stuart

  11. Re: Format Linux USB Hard Drive?

    On Feb 12, 1:42*pm, "Tomi Häsä" wrote:
    > I installed Mandriva Linux 2006 in February 2006 to my LaCie 160 GB
    > USB hard drive. My Windows XP laptop can't recognize the drive, so how
    > do I format it?

    I used Ubuntu 7.10 on my PS3 to format my LaCie hard drive. And then I
    was able to install Ubuntu 7.10 to my HP laptop also. If I recall
    correctly, before installing Ubuntu to my hard drive, I tried the
    cfdisk command to change the file system to W95 FAT32 (LBA), and then
    Windows XP recognized the hard drive, so the hard drive seems to be
    OK.

  12. Re: Format Linux USB Hard Drive?

    On Feb 14, 2:06*pm, "Tomi Häsä" wrote:
    > If I recall correctly, with Windows 2000 and/or Windows XP SP1 it was
    > possible to format a hard drive using FAT32 (and NTFS), which is used
    > by Linux (I guess), so maybe Microsoft has made an evil plan not to
    > recognize/support FAT32 and/or Linux drives/partitions anymore...

    I noticed Windows XP still has the [format] command in the Command
    Prompt, and you can select NTFS, FAT and FAT32 as the file system (see
    [help format] for more info).

+ Reply to Thread