Samba and Vista (yes I know!) - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Samba and Vista (yes I know!) - Mandriva ; I have Vista on a new laptop. While it is against my grain, I do need to leave it there for a variety of reasons. My main computer is Mandriva 2005SE. I can access Mandriva computer from the Vista laptop. ...

  1. Samba and Vista (yes I know!)

    I have Vista on a new laptop. While it is against my grain, I do need to
    leave it there for a variety of reasons.

    My main computer is Mandriva 2005SE.

    I can access Mandriva computer from the Vista laptop. The real problem is
    that I can do it too easily! All that is needed on Vista is my user
    name, with NO password, and I have access to all my Mandriva data.

    I guess I am missing something obvious, because after much searching I
    have yet to find how I set up Samba on my Mandriva computer to require a
    password to enter from Vista.

    I would be so appreciative if someone could point me in the right
    direction.

    Thanks a lot

    Steve.

  2. Re: Samba and Vista (yes I know!)

    steve skrev:
    > I have Vista on a new laptop. While it is against my grain, I do need to
    > leave it there for a variety of reasons.
    >
    > My main computer is Mandriva 2005SE.
    >
    > I can access Mandriva computer from the Vista laptop. The real problem is
    > that I can do it too easily! All that is needed on Vista is my user
    > name, with NO password, and I have access to all my Mandriva data.
    >
    > I guess I am missing something obvious, because after much searching I
    > have yet to find how I set up Samba on my Mandriva computer to require a
    > password to enter from Vista.
    >
    > I would be so appreciative if someone could point me in the right
    > direction.
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    >
    > Steve.

    Hi Steve,
    I solved this problem with opening a console and as root do this
    command: smbpasswd -a your username (enter) and restart samba command:
    samba restart (in console as root. After this your sambaaccount should
    be passwordprotected, also make shure that samba is set up to use USER
    in global option, this is easily done with swat.

    Greets
    Roger

    --
    Mandriva Linux 2008 (Linuxcounter #432950)

    MSI K8TM, 1,0 Gb Memory, AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU
    ATI Sapphire Radeon X1600
    Be towards others the way
    you want to be treated yourself

  3. Re: Samba and Vista (yes I know!)

    >> Steve.

    > Hi Steve,
    > I solved this problem with opening a console and as root do this
    > command: smbpasswd -a your username (enter) and restart samba command:
    > samba restart (in console as root. After this your sambaaccount should
    > be passwordprotected, also make shure that samba is set up to use USER
    > in global option, this is easily done with swat.
    >
    > Greets
    > Roger

    Here is the top of my smb.conf file, hopefully it might help you a little:

    [global]
    workgroup = YOUR GROUP
    netbios name = YOUR COMPUTERNAME
    server string = Samba Server %v
    security = USER
    map to guest = Bad User
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 50
    printcap cache time = 60
    printcap name = cups
    dns proxy = No

    Cheers
    Roger

    --
    Mandriva Linux 2008 (Linuxcounter #432950)

    MSI K8TM, 1,0 Gb Memory, AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU
    ATI Sapphire Radeon X1600
    Be towards others the way
    you want to be treated yourself

  4. Re: Samba and Vista (yes I know!)

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:26:22 +0100, Roger wrote:

    > steve skrev:
    >> I have Vista on a new laptop. While it is against my grain, I do need to
    >> leave it there for a variety of reasons.
    >>
    >> My main computer is Mandriva 2005SE.
    >>
    >> I can access Mandriva computer from the Vista laptop. The real problem is
    >> that I can do it too easily! All that is needed on Vista is my user
    >> name, with NO password, and I have access to all my Mandriva data.
    >>
    >> I guess I am missing something obvious, because after much searching I
    >> have yet to find how I set up Samba on my Mandriva computer to require a
    >> password to enter from Vista.
    >>
    >> I would be so appreciative if someone could point me in the right
    >> direction.
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot
    >>
    >> Steve.

    > Hi Steve,
    > I solved this problem with opening a console and as root do this
    > command: smbpasswd -a your username (enter) and restart samba command:
    > samba restart (in console as root. After this your sambaaccount should
    > be passwordprotected, also make shure that samba is set up to use USER
    > in global option, this is easily done with swat.
    >
    > Greets
    > Roger

    Thanks Roger,

    Just what I needed. Solved all my problems (well this one anyway).

    Regards

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread