Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What? - Mandriva ; On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:19:48 -0500, Jim Beard wrote: > Top-posting deliberately. Upgrades to KDE have just wiped out > my ability to find any keyboards under "Regional & Accessibility", > then "Input actions". Instructions below worked once, but ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 46 of 46

  1. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:19:48 -0500, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Top-posting deliberately. Upgrades to KDE have just wiped out
    > my ability to find any keyboards under "Regional & Accessibility",
    > then "Input actions". Instructions below worked once, but at the
    > moment...

    Isn't beta testing fun? With so many packages involved in an update
    to kde, there's a good chance you updated from a mirror that only had
    part of the updates. Retry the update in an hour or so, and see if that
    fixes it. Btw, does 2008.1 use kde3 or kde4?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  2. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:44:39 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Btw, does 2008.1 use kde3 or kde4?

    default install is kde3

    Recommendation I have seen was install kde3 then do the kde4 install.

  3. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    This is getting too long for interspersed or bottom-posting, so
    snippage:

    We seem to be in agreement on the format/syntax for fstab.
    I may be slow, but I get there.

    The earlier failure for labeling was after I had made changes
    using mcc to label. The fstab entries were (IIRC) correct,
    but partitions were not found on boot.

    One factor then, and now, is that in grub's menu.lst,
    root=UUID* is the syntax used, and it seems to work, even
    though I have labeled all ext3 partitions and the fstab
    contains the label-format lines. Apparently grub just
    needs to know some one way to find the partition, and then
    labels will work (if they are written somewhere to be found
    in the partitions).

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > Any time I dink with fstab line, I'll will mount/umount to verify it
    > works. For / line that is not a practice I would recommend.

    Point.

    > Yes, I have had about 3 failures with backports enabled. About a week
    > ago HAL failed after updates. Copied hotbkup partition back, disabled
    > backport mirrors, ran updates again and system is stable once again.
    >
    >> Given all the tinkering I am
    >> having to do as a result of updates to 2008.0, I might
    >> as well change to 2008.1 Beta! But that is going to
    >> change I am sure, so perhaps best to keep my main OS
    >> as is, I suppose.

    > Yes. next cooker fix could put you into the ditch.

    True. And backports have been very nice to me in the past. There
    does seem to be a lot of KDE updating going on, though, I that is
    wreaking some havoc. I lost my multimedia keys (recently set up
    IAW with instructions from David) and the routines to reenter them
    are missing from KDE Control. Wiped out by the updates, I assume.

    > You might consider getting into the configure video server (beta) pick your
    > card again and see what you can see.

    I tried that under 2008.0, and mcc demanded installation of task-x11.
    That wanted 28 dependencies, each a monitor package that does not
    match the one I have. One or more are probably generic packages that
    I should get, but would that make mcc happy? And if so, which?
    I am using a SOYO (whatever that is) flat LCD 1280x1024 display.

    > Running "gears" on an out of the box installs show about 500 frames
    > for my ATI driver. Going through "Set up the graphical server" under
    > Hardware in mcc tells me about a proprietary driver.

    That seems about a match for my nVidia card with generic drivers.

    > gears now has 2596 frames in 5.000 seconds
    > Made all my video run smoother.

    With the proprietary nVidia drivers installed, I get numbers in the
    800-975 frames a second range. There was a time when I was getting
    over 1,000 fps, but that disappeared.

    > Last question, do you want to report the sdb6 not set as /dev/sdb6 or
    > should I?

    Please report. My descriptions would probably just cause confusion.
    If I can confuse you, I surely can confuse the bug catchers without
    half trying.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:51:01 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:

    > The earlier failure for labeling was after I had made changes
    > using mcc to label. The fstab entries were (IIRC) correct,
    > but partitions were not found on boot.

    Ok, I will have to assume the boot problem was root= argument not set
    in boot loader config file.

    > One factor then, and now, is that in grub's menu.lst,
    > root=UUID* is the syntax used, and it seems to work, even
    > though I have labeled all ext3 partitions and the fstab
    > contains the label-format lines.

    Change root=LABEL=label_here and labled / will work.

    > Apparently grub just
    > needs to know some one way to find the partition, and then
    > labels will work (if they are written somewhere to be found
    > in the partitions).

    Not a grub deal once kernel/image takes over, fstab is then used to get /

    > True. And backports have been very nice to me in the past.

    Me too, most of the time. Other two problems were subtle. The HAL
    problem was too much for me.

    > There
    > does seem to be a lot of KDE updating going on, though, I that is
    > wreaking some havoc. I lost my multimedia keys (recently set up
    > IAW with instructions from David) and the routines to reenter them
    > are missing from KDE Control. Wiped out by the updates, I assume.

    Yeah, saw those posts, my keys on my
    HP Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

    > I tried that under 2008.0, and mcc demanded installation of task-x11.
    > That wanted 28 dependencies, each a monitor package that does not
    > match the one I have. One or more are probably generic packages that
    > I should get, but would that make mcc happy? And if so, which?
    > I am using a SOYO (whatever that is) flat LCD 1280x1024 display.

    You are not running a ATI driver so I cannot help.

    > That seems about a match for my nVidia card with generic drivers.
    >>
    >> gears now has 2596 frames in 5.000 seconds
    >> Made all my video run smoother.

    > With the proprietary nVidia drivers installed, I get numbers in the
    > 800-975 frames a second range. There was a time when I was getting
    > over 1,000 fps, but that disappeared.

    on 2008.1 it was 7xxx frames in 5 seconds.

    > Please report.

    OK.

  5. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:10:42 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:

    > Yeah, saw those posts, my keys on my
    > HP Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

    fail to work.

  6. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:44:39 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > Isn't beta testing fun? With so many packages involved in an update
    > to kde, there's a good chance you updated from a mirror that only had
    > part of the updates. Retry the update in an hour or so, and see if that
    > fixes it. Btw, does 2008.1 use kde3 or kde4?

    KDE 3.5.9.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; UNIX merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly!

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; UNIX merely expects users to be computer-
    friendly!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3