Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What? - Mandriva ; On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 03:17:00 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote: > > Hmmm, Ok, pick Custom Install here > http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/i...mdv2008/17.png > There is where I pick major package groups and bottom of screen here > http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/i...v08samos16.png > set check ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

  1. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 03:17:00 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:

    > Hmmm, Ok, pick Custom Install here
    > http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/i...mdv2008/17.png
    > There is where I pick major package groups and bottom of screen here
    > http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/i...v08samos16.png
    > set check box just above Help button bottom left.
    > Next screen will then allow you to do custom add/delete.

    You may want to click the circular arrows bottom of screen after going
    through sections. That allows you to pick other packages not seen when
    looking through the package sections.

    Beta 2 is out

  2. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > Hmmm, Under Memory, I clicked on Memory Module (A0)
    > Speed: was towards bottom.

    MCC/Hardware on my system does not have Memory. It
    lists memory controllers, but not memory.

    jim beard wrote,
    >> Hmmm. I mounted the DVD and copied the boot.iso to my hard drive.
    >> Then I simply used k3b to burn it to cd. K3b asked if I wanted to
    >> burn it direct as an ISO, and I gave it a yes. Three times k3b
    >> complained that the original and the burned copy differed, but
    >> md5sum for boot.iso and for /dev/hda matched, so I assume the
    >> copy was good. Will it boot? Or was copoying boot.iso from the
    >> DVD illegit? Guess I will find out.

    > I burnt boot.iso from looped back iso mount.
    > Your k3b complaint would seem to indicate bad burn.
    >
    > My 2008.0 32 bit k3b will not verify burnt cds.

    Burning boot.iso to a cd as an iso, whether as boot.iso
    from a dvd or from it bounted loop-back still gets an error
    message when the burn is verified. However, four times now
    md5sum boot.iso and md5sum /dev/hda against the burned boot.iso
    yield matching md5sums. I think k3b is trying to verify file
    against iso or vice versa.

    > $ cat /local/bin/mount_iso

    Thanks. Worked nicely.

    >>> /wherever/mm
    >>> urpmi --wget wget --auto
    >>> urpmi --wget rpm --auto
    >>> urpmi --wget perl-URPM --auto
    >>> urpmi --wget urpmi --wget --auto
    >>> urpmi --wget rpmdrake --auto
    >>> urpmi --wget rpm-helper --auto
    >>> service httpd stop
    >>> service postfix stop
    >>> service cups stop
    >>>
    >>> # now get all updates
    >>>
    >>> urpmi --wget --auto-select --auto
    >>>
    >>> check the rpm -qa again.
    >>>
    >>> Cut/paste 2008.0 stanza into menu.lst, and reboot just to keep
    >>> everyone honest.

    Added to bottom of mm script, cleaned up & commented as needed.

    > and lean back and watch screen for about an hour.

    I think I am going to back up my system, and then try
    the first beta again. If it works (I think it may, as
    /usr/lib64 loaded twice by ldconfig looks to me like a
    plausible culpret for my problems) then I will delete it,
    and go for the second beta.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> Hmmm, Under Memory, I clicked on Memory Module (A0) Speed: was towards
    >> bottom.

    > MCC/Hardware on my system does not have Memory. It
    > lists memory controllers, but not memory.
    >>

    > jim beard wrote,
    >>> Hmmm. I mounted the DVD and copied the boot.iso to my hard drive.
    >>> Then I simply used k3b to burn it to cd. K3b asked if I wanted to
    >>> burn it direct as an ISO, and I gave it a yes. Three times k3b
    >>> complained that the original and the burned copy differed, but
    >>> md5sum for boot.iso and for /dev/hda matched, so I assume the
    >>> copy was good. Will it boot? Or was copoying boot.iso from the
    >>> DVD illegit? Guess I will find out.

    >> I burnt boot.iso from looped back iso mount.
    >> Your k3b complaint would seem to indicate bad burn.
    >>
    >> My 2008.0 32 bit k3b will not verify burnt cds.

    > Burning boot.iso to a cd as an iso, whether as boot.iso
    > from a dvd or from it bounted loop-back still gets an error
    > message when the burn is verified. However, four times now
    > md5sum boot.iso and md5sum /dev/hda against the burned boot.iso
    > yield matching md5sums. I think k3b is trying to verify file
    > against iso or vice versa.
    >

    >> $ cat /local/bin/mount_iso

    > Thanks. Worked nicely.

    > Added to bottom of mm script, cleaned up & commented as needed.
    >
    >> and lean back and watch screen for about an hour.

    > I think I am going to back up my system, and then try
    > the first beta again. If it works (I think it may, as
    > /usr/lib64 loaded twice by ldconfig looks to me like a
    > plausible culpret for my problems) then I will delete it,
    > and go for the second beta.

    Reinstall of the initial Beta for 2008.1 installed fine.
    Seems ok.

    I have labeled disk partitions, and am going to try this
    out. If labels work, it will be time to start cleaning out
    the initial 2008.1 Beta and go to Beta 2.

    Many thanks to BitTwister and all.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > I have labeled disk partitions, and am going to try this
    > out. If labels work, it will be time to start cleaning out
    > the initial 2008.1 Beta and go to Beta 2.

    Labeling disk partitions did not work, perhaps because I
    did not umount them before labeling them using mcc.

    Changes written to fstab were two lines per partition,
    one line preceded by # specifying what the label was for
    in terms of /dev/sb. and a second line with the label,
    mountpoint and options.

    On reboot, the bootloader (grub) could not find the
    disk partitions.

    Resorted to the 2008.0 dvd in rescue mode. Instead of
    mounting the 2008.0 partitions under /mnt, it mounted
    the 2008.1 partition/filesystem under mnt. Went to
    /etc to restore fstab, and the shock of not finding
    ..fstab available to restore dropped my jaw.

    I started looking around to see what I needed to mount
    for a restore, and the problem became evident. Mounted
    /dev/sdb1, restored fstab, rebooted, and all is well.
    For the moment.

    Will have to review instructions from BitTwister, relabel
    (with partitions umounted), and try again. For the moment,
    I am keeping the initial Beta in place, just in case I
    botch 2008.0 beyond redemption.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:31:30 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >> I have labeled disk partitions, and am going to try this
    >> out. If labels work, it will be time to start cleaning out
    >> the initial 2008.1 Beta and go to Beta 2.

    > Labeling disk partitions did not work, perhaps because I
    > did not umount them before labeling them using mcc.

    Hmm, if you mean old partitions, I never used mcc. Just did a
    e2label /dev/XdYZ label_here

    > Changes written to fstab were two lines per partition,
    > one line preceded by # specifying what the label was for
    > in terms of /dev/sb. and a second line with the label,
    > mountpoint and options.

    Looking good. That is how mine looks. Part of post install is
    cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab_orig
    grep -v '^#' /etc/fstab > /tmp/fstab
    cp /tmp/fstab /etc/fstab

    The above removes comment lines.

    > On reboot, the bootloader (grub) could not find the
    > disk partitions.

    I assume you wrote GRUB to MBR, and did not use the boot loader menu
    during install. I do recommend post install step
    cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst_orig
    before doing any editing.

    > Resorted to the 2008.0 dvd in rescue mode. Instead of
    > mounting the 2008.0 partitions under /mnt, it mounted
    > the 2008.1 partition/filesystem under mnt.

    Guessing a typo or two there, no idea what is which.

    > Went to
    > /etc to restore fstab, and the shock of not finding
    > .fstab available to restore dropped my jaw.

    Guessing another typeo, unless you used /fstab.

    > I started looking around to see what I needed to mount
    > for a restore, and the problem became evident. Mounted
    > /dev/sdb1, restored fstab, rebooted, and all is well.
    > For the moment.

    if sdb1 is 2008.0 I hope you plugged in 2008.1 partition stanza with
    label for grub boot.

    > Will have to review instructions from BitTwister, relabel
    > (with partitions umounted), and try again.

    No umount needed when using e2label, Example:
    e2label /dev/sda6 2008_1 <---- creates the label
    blkid /dev/sda6 <---- displays block id info

    See:
    # blkid /dev/sda7
    /dev/sda7: LABEL="accounts" UUID="3342816f14" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"

    > For the moment, I am keeping the initial Beta in place, just in case
    > I botch 2008.0 beyond redemption.

    To check all labels, do a
    blkid /dev/sd*

  6. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > Hmm, if you mean old partitions, I never used mcc. Just did a
    > e2label /dev/XdYZ label_here

    I relabeled all ext2 ext3 partitions on sdb using e2label,
    edited fstab to match, and all is working.

    > I assume you wrote GRUB to MBR, and did not use the boot loader menu
    > during install. I do recommend post install step
    > cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst_orig
    > before doing any editing.

    Yes, I just take the default for location. I do keep
    two or three copies of menu.lst lying around, just in
    case.

    >> Resorted to the 2008.0 dvd in rescue mode. Instead of
    >> mounting the 2008.0 partitions under /mnt, it mounted
    >> the 2008.1 partition/filesystem under mnt.

    > Guessing a typo or two there, no idea what is which.

    My guess it the rescue disk looked for 2008, but paid
    no attention to .0 or .1 (if they existed).

    > if sdb1 is 2008.0 I hope you plugged in 2008.1 partition stanza with
    > label for grub boot.

    I used the stanza provided by the 2008.1 installer. That
    had the root=UUID=a... format. I'll see what the installer
    for Beta2 will do.

    > To check all labels, do a
    > blkid /dev/sd*

    Works for root. For user, nada.

    Looks like time to clean out first Beta and bring down
    second one.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 20:16:07 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Works for root. For user, nada.

    Yep, needs root privs for read block id device.

    > Looks like time to clean out first Beta and bring down
    > second one.

    Remember, Set label in MCC before format beta 1 partition.

  8. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 20:16:07 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Looks like time to clean out first Beta and bring down
    > second one.

    Just a reminder about your bug you opened on beta 1.

  9. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 20:16:07 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >> Looks like time to clean out first Beta and bring down
    >> second one.

    > Just a reminder about your bug you opened on beta 1.

    I requested deletion of the bugreport ?late this morning?,
    and concurrently passed on my suspicion that /usr/lib64
    being loaded twice may have played a part in the problem.

    Beta 2 is installed, and I am working my way toward getting
    it working. Some xine packages had to be added to the
    initial load before amarok could use it, and the alternative
    yau.p or something went comatose.

    I had used FBdrake to set up my display earlier, but first
    pass it did not find the proprietary nVidia drivers. This
    evening, before downloading them by name via mcc I again tried
    FBdrake like I was supposed to, and the proprietary drivers
    were found and downloaded. I don't yet have glxgears to see
    if that works, nor have I tested GLx screensavers. Tomorrow...

    I have a feeling it is going to take me a while to iron
    out the wrinkles in the Beta2, but so far all seem doable.

    If you see nothing from me, I am staying busy and working
    my way through things. Many thanks for all the help so far.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  10. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 05:21:38 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Beta 2 is installed, and I am working my way toward getting
    > it working. Some xine packages had to be added to the
    > initial load before amarok could use it, and the alternative
    > yau.p or something went comatose.

    I'll recommend getting the 64 bit install stable before adding in the
    32 bit mirrors. :-D

  11. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 05:21:38 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >> Beta 2 is installed, and I am working my way toward getting
    >> it working. Some xine packages had to be added to the
    >> initial load before amarok could use it, and the alternative
    >> yau.p or something went comatose.

    > I'll recommend getting the 64 bit install stable before adding in the
    > 32 bit mirrors. :-D

    Absolutely! I view 32-bit as an interim necessity to handle
    things that otherwise would no longer available, but my
    focus in in 64-bit in so far as possible.

    It is not a 2008.1 bug, but labeling a couple of disk
    partitions with mcc this morning accomplished nothing.
    When I reverted to /sbin/e2label all worked. This is
    the same problem encountered earlier, so I am beginning
    to believe it is an mcc bug rather than my bumbling.

    As a new feature for 2008.1, the grub boot menu has
    submenus. The install process found my old menu.lst
    and incorporated it in the new menu.lst as a submenu.
    You can also use the traditional method of adding
    stanzas (with allowance for paths as seen by the
    new OS, if needed).

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  12. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:46:44 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Absolutely! I view 32-bit as an interim necessity to handle
    > things that otherwise would no longer available, but my
    > focus in in 64-bit in so far as possible.

    Ok, I know the requirement for 32 bit mix. I just wanted to mention it.
    I had wondered if some of the problems was because of the mix.

    > It is not a 2008.1 bug, but labeling a couple of disk
    > partitions with mcc this morning accomplished nothing.

    You need to be a bit more informative about when and what you did and
    what was broke when.

    mcc post or pre-install works. As I misunderstand it, when doing a
    Hard disk install, you do not get the chance to set the mount point
    for the iso holding partition.

    I did not check, but feel there is a problem when formatting /
    while trying to get it to use a label during install.
    Hence the suggestion of pre-install label/formatting for /.
    Then again I have not tested that for several releases.

    Since I have all old partitions labeled, I can not say if labeling is a
    problem during install.

    > When I reverted to /sbin/e2label all worked. This is
    > the same problem encountered earlier, so I am beginning
    > to believe it is an mcc bug rather than my bumbling.

    Is this during install of other partitions besides /
    and not the partition holding the iso during a Hard disk install ?

    > As a new feature for 2008.1, the grub boot menu has
    > submenus. The install process found my old menu.lst
    > and incorporated it in the new menu.lst as a submenu.

    Yep, new feature added in beta 2. Not really a sub menu but a
    chain load of selection selected boot menu.
    A bit of a bother and a definite gotcha if you run a hot backup in
    another partition as I do.

    > You can also use the traditional method of adding stanzas (with
    > allowance for paths as seen by the new OS, if needed).

    Other distributions find/add the kernel/initrd type stanzas.

    I do not like having to pick again, but stanza updates done in
    other install's menu.lst do not have to be ported to "Production menu.lst"

    I think an extra carriage return will be easy enough when I go back
    and set all the other menu.lst to default to that install instead of
    "Production"

  13. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:46:44 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >> It is not a 2008.1 bug, but labeling a couple of disk
    >> partitions with mcc this morning accomplished nothing.

    > You need to be a bit more informative about when and what you did and
    > what was broke when.

    From memory:
    Prior to install of 2008.1, all partitions on both sda (where
    dual-boot XP, a VFAT partition, and storage partitions exist)
    and sdb (principal partitions for 2008.0) had traditional
    /dev/sdxn identifiers.

    The 2008.1 used UUID identifiers, which I did not care for.
    My first solution was to restore the old designations. Then,
    after contemplating your conversion to labels, I decided to
    do the same.

    With 2008.0 and my initial flaky 2008.1 both installed,
    I used the 2008.0 mcc to label all ext3 partitions. For
    each partition I would click on label, fill in the label,
    save it, and at the end (if I remember correctly) click
    yes to update the fstab.

    When I rebooted to see if it worked, it did not. Drives
    identified by label could not be found. Initially, I
    thought I had probably botched the syntax and simply restored
    the fstab with the old /dev/sd* designators.

    Then you stressed use of e2label, and I decided to try that
    on four partitions on sdb. After going through that routine,
    I edited fstab to use the LABEL=whatever syntax, and it worked.

    After that had worked for a while, and after removing the
    original 2008.1, reinstalling it (it worked the second time),
    and then removing it and installing the Beta 2, I decided to
    label remaining ext3 partitions. I believe I was in 2008.1
    Beta 2 at the time. I launched mcc, went into disk management,
    to expert mode, labeled everything not yet labeled that would
    take a label (if you try to label an NTFS partition, you get
    an error message, not a totally botched partition ), clicked
    to write changes to fstab.

    No changes written. So I edited fstab to make the changes.
    then rebooted. Partitions designated with the new labels
    were not recognized. Relabeled the partitions with e2label
    and rebooted. All worked.

    All relabeling was done with operating system(s) installed,
    not as part of the install process. I had thought about
    doing that, and decided I wanted to diverge from the simple
    and straightforward as little as possible until I had the
    Beta 2 up and running.

    And had I been really focused on this problem, I would have
    had a terminal window open on the side and checked each
    partition with blkid at every step and looked at fstab
    immediately after clicking on the button to write the changes
    there. But I did not.

    I suppose I could go back and change the label to a partition
    somewhere using mcc, have mcc write the change to fstab, and
    see if that works. But then I would just have to change it
    back...

    My major complaint at the moment is common to both 2008.0 and
    2008.1, that everything in Amarok except the music is slow
    and halting. I think this is the result of Amarok being
    upgraded for both 2008.0 and 2008.1, but rhythmbox works fine
    so I may likewise leave this problem to a future update.
    Of course, it could be my tinkering with both OS versions,
    but tracing that could be time-consuming.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  14. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 01:49:27 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    > From memory:
    > Prior to install of 2008.1, all partitions on both sda (where
    > dual-boot XP, a VFAT partition, and storage partitions exist)
    > and sdb (principal partitions for 2008.0) had traditional
    > /dev/sdxn identifiers.
    >
    > With 2008.0 and my initial flaky 2008.1 both installed,
    > I used the 2008.0 mcc to label all ext3 partitions. For
    > each partition I would click on label, fill in the label,
    > save it, and at the end (if I remember correctly) click
    > yes to update the fstab.
    >
    > When I rebooted to see if it worked, it did not. Drives
    > identified by label could not be found.

    I'll guess you did not modify root= argument in boot loader stanza.---.
    ,-------'

    title 2008_0 -----------------
    kernel (hd0,13)/boot/vmlinuz-desktop BOOT_IMAGE=2008_0 root=LABEL=2008_0 splash=0 vga=788
    initrd (hd0,13)/boot/initrd-desktop.img

    When using labels on install, stanza will be set correctly.

    > No changes written. So I edited fstab to make the changes.
    > then rebooted. Partitions designated with the new labels
    > were not recognized. Relabeled the partitions with e2label
    > and rebooted. All worked.

    Ok, just tried deleting a label on 2008.0 mcc
    fstab had sda8 instead of /dev/sda8.
    When back and labeled and checked fstab. Label was valid and would
    mount/umount.

    If you would, if still in 2008.1 use mcc
    to blank label field and see if fstab is changed to /dev/sdxx or just
    sdxx. If so we have found a problem.

  15. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 01:49:27 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >> From memory:

    > I'll guess you did not modify root= argument in boot loader stanza.---.
    > ,-------'

    > title 2008_0 -----------------
    > kernel (hd0,13)/boot/vmlinuz-desktop BOOT_IMAGE=2008_0 root=LABEL=2008_0 splash=0 vga=788
    > initrd (hd0,13)/boot/initrd-desktop.img

    Right. In menu.lst, the syntax for 2008.1 is root=UUID-xxx and
    for 2008.0 root=/dev/sdb1. But all fstab entries for ext2/ext3
    partitions are LABEL=labelname syntax, for both OS, and all works.

    > When using labels on install, stanza will be set correctly.

    That would make sense.

    > Ok, just tried deleting a label on 2008.0 mcc
    > fstab had sda8 instead of /dev/sda8.

    I tried the same, to same result.

    > If you would, if still in 2008.1 use mcc
    > to blank label field and see if fstab is changed to /dev/sdxx or just
    > sdxx. If so we have found a problem.

    I will reboot to 2008.1 and check.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  16. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > Ok, just tried deleting a label on 2008.0 mcc
    > fstab had sda8 instead of /dev/sda8.
    > When back and labeled and checked fstab. Label was valid and would
    > mount/umount.

    Likewise changing label for sdb6 under 2008.1.
    fstab had sdb6 rather than /dev/sdb6. Definitely
    a problem.

    BTW, 2008.1 has one improvement back to where it
    had been before 2008.0: Alt-Ctl-F12 provides
    the root console, so you can check the last page
    of boot messages (that go by on my system too
    fast to read), see when hourly cron jobs kick off,
    etc.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  17. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:18:37 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> Ok, just tried deleting a label on 2008.0 mcc
    >> fstab had sda8 instead of /dev/sda8.
    >> When back and labeled and checked fstab. Label was valid and would
    >> mount/umount.

    > Likewise changing label for sdb6 under 2008.1.
    > fstab had sdb6 rather than /dev/sdb6. Definitely
    > a problem.

    All right, Now I unclear about your problem of setting label and is it
    not being able to mount it.

    I hope you did not start the label with a slash.

    > BTW, 2008.1 has one improvement back to where it
    > had been before 2008.0: Alt-Ctl-F12 provides
    > the root console, so you can check the last page
    > of boot messages (that go by on my system too
    > fast to read), see when hourly cron jobs kick off, etc.

    Hehe, I have a script called xcon, to put a small window running
    xconsole watching messages and a xtail script with
    xterm running tail -f /var/log/messages

    Both are executed from my ~/.kde/Autostart/startup script.

    Snippet from my startup script

    kstart --desktop 1 --windowclass Kdesktop /local/bin/xcon
    /local/bin/xtail
    /local/bin/xmotz &

    startup script fires up apps in different windows. As soon as xcon
    creates the window I pin it to the desktop. Any time I need to scroll
    through messages, jump to firewall desktop and scroll up/down the
    xterm window.

    $ cat /local/bin/xcon
    #************************************************
    #* xcon - scrip to watch messages log
    #*
    #* Assumes /var/log/messages is world readable.
    #*
    #************************************************

    pgrep -U $USER xconsole
    if [ $? -eq 1 ] ; then
    xconsole -geom 1032x50+400+00 -file /var/log/messages &
    fi

    #*************** end xcon **********************

    $ set | grep _desktop
    _bank_desktop=6
    _binaries_desktop=2
    _browsing_desktop=4
    _fw_desktop=1
    _mail_desktop=8
    _root_desktop=5
    _usenet_desktop=3

    $ cat /local/bin/xtail
    #************************************************
    #* xtail - scrip to watch messages log
    #*
    #* Assumes /var/log/messages is world readable.
    #*
    #************************************************

    pgrep -U $USER tail
    if [ $? -eq 1 ] ; then
    kstart --desktop $_fw_desktop --windowclass Kdesktop xterm \
    -fn 7x13 -tn vt100 -fg white -bg seagreen -geom 170x24+10+130 \
    -e tail -f /var/log/messages \
    &
    fi

    #*************** end xtail **********************

    $ cat /local/bin/xmotz
    #************************************************* ***********
    #*
    #* log into motz account where .bash_profile starts news reader
    #* and logs out when reader is closed.
    #*
    #* Desktop is set by env variable $_usenet_desktop
    #*
    #************************************************* ***********

    _user=motz
    _target=$(hostname --fqdn)
    _app=slrn

    dcop kwin default setCurrentDesktop $_usenet_desktop > /dev/null

    pgrep -U $_user $_app
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    exit 0
    fi

    _cmd="sudo /bin/su -l $_user "

    echo -e "\033]2;$_target : $_user \007"

    xterm -title $_user -display $DISPLAY -geom 30x3+439+339 \
    -e $_cmd \
    &

    #****************** end xmotz *************************

  18. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:18:37 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:
    >> Likewise changing label for sdb6 under 2008.1.
    >> fstab had sdb6 rather than /dev/sdb6. Definitely
    >> a problem.

    > All right, Now I unclear about your problem of setting label and is it
    > not being able to mount it.

    I did not try to mount/umount it. I just looked at
    the line starting sdb6 and assumed this would not
    work at reboot time. I did not wish to reboot yet
    again (to clear current settings in use by the kernel)
    and see if the kernel would recognize sdb6 as
    /dev/sdb6.

    > I hope you did not start the label with a slash.

    Correct. I did start the location to mount the
    partition with a /, i.e.
    LABEL=2008beta /data2 ext3 noatime 1 2

    The above is from the 2008.0 fstab, not the one used to
    boot the Beta. That one is
    LABEL=2008beta / ext3 noatime 1 1

    > Hehe, I have a script called xcon, to put a small window running
    > xconsole watching messages and a xtail script with
    > xterm running tail -f /var/log/messages
    >
    > Both are executed from my ~/.kde/Autostart/startup script.

    Saved for perusal later. Once up and running, I have no
    problem with using a terminal window and watching anything
    I want to watch (usually nothing). My interest is in
    finding out how far the boot process made it when boot
    fails.

    Most of the boot stuff scrolls by as it happens, but
    after shorewall everything goes by so fast I cannot
    read it. If Alt-Ctl-F12 gives me the last screen of
    messages from the boot process, that is much appreciated.

    BTW, my complaint earlier about Amarok seems to have been
    a result of a bunch of updates to KDE. I updated with
    another bunch of them a few minutes ago (?47? packages, mostly
    kde stuff), and for a brief period the Context window and
    some other stuff that had quit working suddenly worked
    again. I rebooted, and the Context window was again
    blank, and the progress bar that shows how long a song
    has been playing once again was inoperative. Some KDE
    settings had to be redone as well. Such are the joys
    of being up-to-date. Given all the tinkering I am
    having to do as a result of updates to 2008.0, I might
    as well change to 2008.1 Beta! But that is going to
    change I am sure, so perhaps best to keep my main OS
    as is, I suppose.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  19. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    Top-posting deliberately. Upgrades to KDE have just wiped out
    my ability to find any keyboards under "Regional & Accessibility",
    then "Input actions". Instructions below worked once, but at the
    moment...

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  20. Re: Got 2008.1, Installed, Now What?

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:49:55 GMT, Jim Beard wrote:

    > I did not try to mount/umount it.

    Any time I dink with fstab line, I'll will mount/umount to verify it
    works. For / line that is not a practice I would recommend.

    > I just looked at
    > the line starting sdb6 and assumed this would not
    > work at reboot time.

    Well, I have lost the context of what was done when in my head.
    I thought you had indicated label would not work.
    I agree, fstab starting with sdb6 will not work, has to be /dev/sdb6.
    But that is not the label mode.

    > I did not wish to reboot yet
    > again (to clear current settings in use by the kernel)
    > and see if the kernel would recognize sdb6 as
    > /dev/sdb6.

    I will guess it would not. The fact that mcc is setting sdb6 instead
    of /dev/sdb6 is a bug.

    >> I hope you did not start the label with a slash.

    > Correct.

    Wrong label I hope. there are two terms in this conversation,
    label and mount point.
    Labels should not contain / and mount point needs one.

    > I did start the location to mount the
    > partition with a /, i.e.
    > LABEL=2008beta /data2 ext3 noatime 1 2

    No problem there. Just wanted to know if you had done something like
    LABEL=/2008beta /data2 ext3 noatime 1 2

    > The above is from the 2008.0 fstab, not the one used to
    > boot the Beta. That one is
    > LABEL=2008beta / ext3 noatime 1 1

    Good, no reason for that to not work if blkid /dev/sd* shows 2008beta
    on the correct partition.

    > Saved for perusal later. Once up and running, I have no
    > problem with using a terminal window and watching anything
    > I want to watch (usually nothing). My interest is in
    > finding out how far the boot process made it when boot
    > fails.

    Ok, my mistake, I set splash=0 in bootloader stanza. I always want to
    see if anything goes [FAILED]

    I do not need to run some app which fails and spend time debugging
    when I could have seen the failure during boot.

    > BTW, my complaint earlier about Amarok seems to have been
    > a result of a bunch of updates to KDE. I updated with
    > another bunch of them a few minutes ago (?47? packages, mostly
    > kde stuff), and for a brief period the Context window and
    > some other stuff that had quit working suddenly worked
    > again. I rebooted, and the Context window was again
    > blank, and the progress bar that shows how long a song
    > has been playing once again was inoperative. Some KDE
    > settings had to be redone as well. Such are the joys
    > of being up-to-date.

    Yes, I have had about 3 failures with backports enabled. About a week
    ago HAL failed after updates. Copied hotbkup partition back, disabled
    backport mirrors, ran updates again and system is stable once again.

    > Given all the tinkering I am
    > having to do as a result of updates to 2008.0, I might
    > as well change to 2008.1 Beta! But that is going to
    > change I am sure, so perhaps best to keep my main OS
    > as is, I suppose.

    Yes. next cooker fix could put you into the ditch.

    You might consider getting into the configure video server (beta) pick your
    card again and see what you can see.

    Running "gears" on an out of the box installs show about 500 frames
    for my ATI driver. Going through "Set up the graphical server" under
    Hardware in mcc tells me about a proprietary driver.

    gears now has 2596 frames in 5.000 seconds
    Made all my video run smoother.

    Last question, do you want to report the sdb6 not set as /dev/sdb6 or
    should I?