xearth markerfile - Mandriva

This is a discussion on xearth markerfile - Mandriva ; 2008.0 64 bit mode I am using xearth 1.1 for my desktop background under kde My xearth.desktop file looks like: [KDE Desktop Program] Command=xearth -markers -label -labelpos -5-150 -markerfile /home/myhomedir/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/programs/xearth.markerfile -proj merc -size %x,%y -ppm > %f Comment=XEarth by Kirk ...

  1. xearth markerfile

    2008.0 64 bit mode
    I am using xearth 1.1 for my desktop background under kde
    My xearth.desktop file looks like:

    [KDE Desktop Program]
    Command=xearth -markers -label -labelpos -5-150 -markerfile /home/myhomedir/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/programs/xearth.markerfile -proj
    merc -size %x,%y -ppm > %f
    Comment=XEarth by Kirk Johnson
    Executable=xearth
    PreviewCommand=xearth -size %x,%y -nomarkers -ppm > %f
    Refresh=5

    and my xearth.markerfile looks like:

    47.612 -122.338 "Seattle"
    40.742 -73.995 "New York"
    51.506 -0.127 "London"
    34.052 -118.243 "Los Angeles"

    But i never see any of the labels. The paths checkout ok. Is there an error
    here i dont see?
    Thanks
    Eric

  2. Re: xearth markerfile

    Eric wrote:

    > 2008.0 64 bit mode
    > I am using xearth 1.1 for my desktop background under kde
    > My xearth.desktop file looks like:
    >
    > [KDE Desktop Program]
    > Command=xearth -markers -label -labelpos -5-150 -markerfile
    > /home/myhomedir/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/programs/xearth.markerfile -proj
    > merc -size %x,%y -ppm > %f Comment=XEarth by Kirk Johnson
    > Executable=xearth
    > PreviewCommand=xearth -size %x,%y -nomarkers -ppm > %f
    > Refresh=5
    >
    > and my xearth.markerfile looks like:
    >
    > 47.612 -122.338 "Seattle"
    > 40.742 -73.995 "New York"
    > 51.506 -0.127 "London"
    > 34.052 -118.243 "Los Angeles"
    >
    > But i never see any of the labels. The paths checkout ok. Is there an error
    > here i dont see?
    > Thanks
    > Eric

    Well, i found out one thing by experimentation, if you remove the -ppm option
    xearth then shows all the markers and labels and so on. However, it
    introduces a new problem in that right clicking on the desktop no longer
    works (nothing happens). -ppm creates a 24 bit color image to stdout instead
    of writing directly to the x-window
    I found this in the source which tipped me off to that:
    /* look through the command line arguments to figure out if we're
    * using X or not (if "-ppm", "-gif", or "-test" is found, we're not
    * using X, otherwise we are).
    */
    Eric

  3. Re: xearth markerfile

    Eric wrote:

    > Eric wrote:
    >
    >> 2008.0 64 bit mode
    >> I am using xearth 1.1 for my desktop background under kde
    >> My xearth.desktop file looks like:
    >>
    >> [KDE Desktop Program]
    >> Command=xearth -markers -label -labelpos -5-150 -markerfile
    >> /home/myhomedir/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/programs/xearth.markerfile -proj
    >> merc -size %x,%y -ppm > %f Comment=XEarth by Kirk Johnson
    >> Executable=xearth
    >> PreviewCommand=xearth -size %x,%y -nomarkers -ppm > %f
    >> Refresh=5
    >>
    >> and my xearth.markerfile looks like:
    >>
    >> 47.612 -122.338 "Seattle"
    >> 40.742 -73.995 "New York"
    >> 51.506 -0.127 "London"
    >> 34.052 -118.243 "Los Angeles"
    >>
    >> But i never see any of the labels. The paths checkout ok. Is there an error
    >> here i dont see?
    >> Thanks
    >> Eric

    > Well, i found out one thing by experimentation, if you remove the -ppm
    > option xearth then shows all the markers and labels and so on. However, it
    > introduces a new problem in that right clicking on the desktop no longer
    > works (nothing happens). -ppm creates a 24 bit color image to stdout instead
    > of writing directly to the x-window
    > I found this in the source which tipped me off to that:
    > /* look through the command line arguments to figure out if we're
    > * using X or not (if "-ppm", "-gif", or "-test" is found, we're not
    > * using X, otherwise we are).
    > */
    > Eric

    Ok - got it, its just plain old not supported according to xearth.c when
    writing a gif or ppm instead of directly to X
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread