Problems with Mandriva 2008 Powerpack - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Problems with Mandriva 2008 Powerpack - Mandriva ; Hi all. I've been using Mandrake/Mandriva for many years, beginning with Mandrake 8. Occasional minor problems but no biggies. Last week I bought Mandriva 2008 Powerpack and have several problems that I can't solve. 1) I can't change ownership or ...

  1. Problems with Mandriva 2008 Powerpack

    Hi all.

    I've been using Mandrake/Mandriva for many years, beginning with Mandrake
    8. Occasional minor problems but no biggies. Last week I bought Mandriva
    2008 Powerpack and have several problems that I can't solve.

    1) I can't change ownership or permissions on vfat drives. When I login
    to konqueror as root and try to change ownership, it tells me "You have
    insufficient access to the file to perform the change". I've tried
    standard and poor security levels. I tried "Tune permissions" under Linux
    Control Center, still can't change ownership or permissions.

    /etc/fstab:
    /dev/hda7 /mnt/winq vfat umask=0 0 0

    2) Something keeps locking my audio device. It works for a while then
    won't. Xine says "Audio device not available". I have to reboot to work
    again.

    3) Can't login to Powerpack support website. When I enter username and
    password, it ways "Fatal error: Call to undefined function curl_init()
    in /var/www/partners/store_dev/includes/functions/general.php on line
    1446"

    TIA

  2. Re: Problems with Mandriva 2008 Powerpack

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 14:33:12 -0500, Marshall wrote:

    > 1) I can't change ownership or permissions on vfat drives. When I login

    vfat filesystems do not store ownership, or permission. The error message
    is misleading, in that it should say something like "not supported by
    filesystem.

    > /etc/fstab:
    > /dev/hda7 /mnt/winq vfat umask=0 0 0

    I'd change the above to something like
    /dev/hda7 /mnt/winq vfat defaults,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0
    and ensure ls -ld /mnt/winq shows permissions of drwxrwxrwx. This,
    plus the umask=0 ensures everyone has full read/write to the vfat filesystem.

    > 2) Something keeps locking my audio device. It works for a while then
    > won't. Xine says "Audio device not available". I have to reboot to work
    > again.

    Which window manager are you running? Could be a problem with a conflict
    between xine and system notifications.

    In xine settings, on the gui tab, set the experience level to the master
    level. Restart xine. On the audio tab, set the driver to alsa, or whatever
    your window manager is using.

    > 3) Can't login to Powerpack support website. When I enter username and
    > password, it ways "Fatal error: Call to undefined function curl_init()
    > in /var/www/partners/store_dev/includes/functions/general.php on line
    > 1446"

    Can't help with that one, as I use the free edition.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Problems with Mandriva 2008 Powerpack

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 19:33:12 GMT, Marshall wrote:
    > Hi all.

    > I've been using Mandrake/Mandriva for many years, beginning with Mandrake
    > 8. Occasional minor problems but no biggies. Last week I bought Mandriva
    > 2008 Powerpack and have several problems that I can't solve.

    Can we assume you have defined mirrors (http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/)
    and installed all updates?

    > 1) I can't change ownership or permissions on vfat drives. When I login
    > to konqueror as root and try to change ownership, it tells me "You have
    > insufficient access to the file to perform the change".

    Guessing that error from fact doze does not understand permissions.

    > I've tried standard and poor security levels.

    I would put it back to original value. (High I think)

    > I tried "Tune permissions" under Linux
    > Control Center, still can't change ownership or permissions.
    >
    > /etc/fstab:
    > /dev/hda7 /mnt/winq vfat umask=0 0 0

    Hmm, that umask value should allow you to read/write files
    To test permissions, do a
    touch /mnt/winq/junk.txt
    rm /mnt/winq/junk.txt

    I do not mount the drive unless I need it. To allow users to mount
    mine I have
    $ grep win_d /etc/fstab
    /dev/sda5 /win_d vfat user,noauto,umask=0 0 0

    $ mount /win_d
    $ mount | grep win_d
    /dev/sda5 on /win_d type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,umask=0,user=bittwister)

    $ ls -al /win_d
    total 452
    drwxrwxrwx 4 bittwister bittwister 16384 1969-12-31 18:00 .
    drwxr-xr-x 38 root adm 4096 2008-02-03 19:38 ..
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 bittwister bittwister 1288 2008-01-02 22:37 cupon.rtf
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 bittwister bittwister 1276 2008-01-02 22:36 cupon.txt
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 bittwister bittwister 661 2007-07-23 14:40 ff.txt

    > 2) Something keeps locking my audio device. It works for a while then
    > won't. Xine says "Audio device not available". I have to reboot to work
    > again.

    Reboot should not be required, Just log out/into your account.
    Do check who is running artsd.

    $ ps aux | grep artsd
    1500 6511 0.0 0.5 9260 5408 ? S Feb03 0:37 /usr/bin/artsd -F 12

    $ id
    uid=1500(bittwister) gid=1500(bittwister)
    groups=22(cdrom),80(cdwriter),81(audio),1500(bittw ister)

    As you can see, 1500 is me. Guessing you will be 500 or 501.

    I have seen the problem but cannot recreate it reliably. But then
    again, I figured it was because I have several users using it.
    If you have more than one user, I suggest adding them to the audio group.
    At least try adding root and marshall to the audio group.

    Other suggestions, get into the KDE control center

    KDE Components
    Session Manager
    set Start with an empty session

    Sound & Multimedia
    Sound System
    check the full-duplex box
    Auto-Suppend after 1 second

    System Notifications
    KDE Sysstem Notifications
    Click Turn Off All
    The KDE Window Manager
    Click Turn Off All

  4. Re: Problems with Mandriva 2008 Powerpack

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 14:59:29 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 14:33:12 -0500, Marshall wrote:
    >
    >> 1) I can't change ownership or permissions on vfat drives. When I login

    > vfat filesystems do not store ownership, or permission. The error
    > message is misleading, in that it should say something like "not
    > supported by filesystem.
    >
    >> /etc/fstab:
    >> /dev/hda7 /mnt/winq vfat umask=0 0 0

    > I'd change the above to something like /dev/hda7 /mnt/winq vfat
    > defaults,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0 and ensure ls -ld
    > /mnt/winq shows permissions of drwxrwxrwx. This, plus the umask=0
    > ensures everyone has full read/write to the vfat filesystem.

    Thanks Dave.

    After I changed the security level to poor and relaxed every security
    setting I could find, then rebooted, I gained write permissions to the
    drive (still can't change ownership though).

    With previous versions of Mandrake/Mandriva, konquorer as root has always
    allowed me to change ownership and permissions of vfat drives. I'm not
    sure what it was really doing if vfat doesn't store this information but
    it made the drives so I could write to them.

    I'm worried that if I change anything or tighten the security level back
    to standard, I'll lose my permissions that I spent hours gaining. I've
    never had trouble changing ownership or permissions on earlier versions
    of Mandrake/Mandriva. And I've never had to reboot the entire system for
    changes to take affect (yuck, smells like Windows).

    >> 2) Something keeps locking my audio device. It works for a while then
    >> won't. Xine says "Audio device not available". I have to reboot to work
    >> again.

    > Which window manager are you running? Could be a problem with a
    > conflict between xine and system notifications.
    >
    > In xine settings, on the gui tab, set the experience level to the master
    > level. Restart xine. On the audio tab, set the driver to alsa, or
    > whatever your window manager is using.

    Okay, I changed xine from default to alsa.

    I'm using KDE 3.5.7. How can I tell if it's using alsa?

    >> 3) Can't login to Powerpack support website. When I enter username and
    >> password, it ways "Fatal error: Call to undefined function curl_init()
    >> in /var/www/partners/store_dev/includes/functions/general.php on line
    >> 1446"

    > Can't help with that one, as I use the free edition.

    It's a bit discouraging when I try to login to their support after I paid
    $59 for Powerpack and get a fatal error!

  5. Re: Problems with Mandriva 2008 Powerpack

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 21:04:27 GMT, Marshall wrote:

    > After I changed the security level to poor and relaxed every security
    > setting I could find, then rebooted, I gained write permissions to the
    > drive (still can't change ownership though).
    >
    > I'm worried that if I change anything or tighten the security level back
    > to standard, I'll lose my permissions that I spent hours gaining.

    Well you may want to check after the next hour to see if they still
    are what you wanted.

    Security section of Mandriva Control Center will allow you to keep
    custom permission settings had you bothered to use it regardless of
    security level.

    I keep my custom settings in
    /etc/security/msec/perm.local

    # head -4 /etc/security/msec/perm.local
    /var/log/messages current 644
    /local/doc document.document 2775
    /local/doc/* bittwister.document 664
    /local/doc/news.total document.document 664

    > I've
    > never had trouble changing ownership or permissions on earlier versions
    > of Mandrake/Mandriva.

    Yep, security is getting tighter and tighter and more and more code
    checking return codes from procedures/system calls.

    > And I've never had to reboot the entire system for
    > changes to take affect (yuck, smells like Windows).

    You still should not have to when using the proper tools for the job.
    Change fstab entry, just umount/mount should get the new settings.
    When root owned artsd process, I su - root, deleted it, exit.
    KDE complained sound system was dead, restarted it, and I had sound again.

    > It's a bit discouraging when I try to login to their support after I paid
    > $59 for Powerpack and get a fatal error!

    If me, I would make sure java worked, http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

    Then I would check http://qa.mandriva.com/ for a bug report.

    If Java works and no bug report, I would open a bug report to get support

  6. Re: Problems with Mandriva 2008 Powerpack

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 16:04:27 -0500, Marshall wrote:

    > With previous versions of Mandrake/Mandriva, konquorer as root has always
    > allowed me to change ownership and permissions of vfat drives. I'm not
    > sure what it was really doing if vfat doesn't store this information but
    > it made the drives so I could write to them.

    Most likely just changing the permission of the mount point directory.

    > I'm worried that if I change anything or tighten the security level back
    > to standard, I'll lose my permissions that I spent hours gaining. I've
    > never had trouble changing ownership or permissions on earlier versions
    > of Mandrake/Mandriva. And I've never had to reboot the entire system for
    > changes to take affect (yuck, smells like Windows).

    Shouldn't have to reboot. Update the security settings for msec, and then
    run msec (as root).

    > Okay, I changed xine from default to alsa.
    > I'm using KDE 3.5.7. How can I tell if it's using alsa?

    Run kcontrol. Select Sound & Multimedia, then Sound System. On the hardware
    tab, ensure the audio device is set to alsa. On the general tab, select the
    Auto-suspend, and set the timeout to something low, like 10 seconds.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Problems with Mandriva 2008 Powerpack

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 21:57:54 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 21:04:27 GMT, Marshall wrote:
    >>
    >> After I changed the security level to poor and relaxed every security
    >> setting I could find, then rebooted, I gained write permissions to the
    >> drive (still can't change ownership though).
    >>
    >> I'm worried that if I change anything or tighten the security level
    >> back to standard, I'll lose my permissions that I spent hours gaining.

    > Well you may want to check after the next hour to see if they still are
    > what you wanted.

    What do you mean by next hour?

    > Security section of Mandriva Control Center will allow you to keep
    > custom permission settings had you bothered to use it regardless of
    > security level.
    >
    > I keep my custom settings in
    > /etc/security/msec/perm.local
    >
    > # head -4 /etc/security/msec/perm.local /var/log/messages current
    > 644
    > /local/doc document.document 2775 /local/doc/*
    > bittwister.document 664 /local/doc/news.total document.document
    > 664

    I've never heard of /etc/security/msec/perm.local, so I did some
    research. I learned that "Tune permissions on system" in the security
    section of Control Center is the GUI version of msec (which I tried
    earlier). I created a custom setting for path /mnt/winq with the
    permissions I want. According to help, I can move my custom setting up
    and down in the GUI, supposedly so it takes priority over the stricter
    system settings, but it won't let me move above the system settings. It
    says they aren't editable, and apparently they're not overrideable
    either.

    I still don't understand what happened. I had deleted my custom setting
    with the GUI before I rebooted (/etc/security/msec/perm.local exists but
    is empty). After the reboot, my ordinary user has write permissions in /
    mnt/winq but I have no idea why. Maybe leaving the security level at poor
    is what did it?

    >> I've
    >> never had trouble changing ownership or permissions on earlier versions
    >> of Mandrake/Mandriva.

    > Yep, security is getting tighter and tighter and more and more code
    > checking return codes from procedures/system calls.
    >
    >> And I've never had to reboot the entire system for changes to take
    >> affect (yuck, smells like Windows).

    > You still should not have to when using the proper tools for the job.
    > Change fstab entry, just umount/mount should get the new settings. When
    > root owned artsd process, I su - root, deleted it, exit. KDE complained
    > sound system was dead, restarted it, and I had sound again.

    I'll try that next time I lose sound. Does it mean that something isn't
    properly releasing system resources when it's done? Is this why you
    mentioned system notifications? AFAIK that's the only thing that uses the
    sound system other than xine. I've never had problems with system
    notifications before.

    >> It's a bit discouraging when I try to login to their support after I
    >> paid $59 for Powerpack and get a fatal error!

    > If me, I would make sure java worked, http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
    >
    > Then I would check http://qa.mandriva.com/ for a bug report.
    >
    > If Java works and no bug report, I would open a bug report to get
    > support

    According to the site, my java works okay. My original plan was to search
    Mandriva's bug list. That's where I tried to login and got the fatal
    error. But I just tried to do a search without logging in and it let me.
    So I'll poke around there to see if there are bug reports that resemble
    my problems.

    Thanks BT.

  8. Re: Problems with Mandriva 2008 Powerpack

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 01:30:07 GMT, Marshall wrote:
    > On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 21:57:54 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >> Well you may want to check after the next hour to see if they still are
    >> what you wanted.

    > What do you mean by next hour?

    msec runs on the hour. It sets permissions found in
    cat /usr/share/msec/perm.$SECURE_LEVEL and
    cat /etc/security/msec/perm.local (if you have one)

    > I've never heard of /etc/security/msec/perm.local,

    man msec

    > so I did some research.
    > I learned that "Tune permissions on system" in the security
    > section of Control Center is the GUI version of msec (which I tried
    > earlier). I created a custom setting for path /mnt/winq with the
    > permissions I want. According to help, I can move my custom setting up
    > and down in the GUI, supposedly so it takes priority over the stricter
    > system settings, but it won't let me move above the system settings. It
    > says they aren't editable, and apparently they're not overrideable
    > either.

    You can set what you want done in the custom section to override those
    other system settings. The custom settings run last.

    I am the only user on this system so I want a xconsole window pinned
    to the desktop showing /var/log/messages. To have messages access I have

    # grep messages perm.local
    /var/log/messages current 644

    Which overrides 640 set via
    # grep /var/log/ /usr/share/msec/perm.$SECURE_LEVEL
    /var/log/* root.root 640

    Just after install I do a
    chmod 644 /var/log/messages

    And now bittwister can do a
    xconsole -geom 1032x50+400+00 -file /var/log/messages &
    and can keep an eye on /messages.

    > I still don't understand what happened. I had deleted my custom setting
    > with the GUI before I rebooted (/etc/security/msec/perm.local exists but
    > is empty). After the reboot, my ordinary user has write permissions in /
    > mnt/winq but I have no idea why. Maybe leaving the security level at poor
    > is what did it?

    What can happen, is you dinked with permissions and there is no overriding
    value in /usr/share/msec/perm.$SECURE_LEVEL, then permissions stick.

    >> You still should not have to when using the proper tools for the job.
    >> Change fstab entry, just umount/mount should get the new settings. When
    >> root owned artsd process, I su - root, deleted it, exit. KDE complained
    >> sound system was dead, restarted it, and I had sound again.

    PS: found out log out/in KDE also fixes problem.

    > I'll try that next time I lose sound. Does it mean that something isn't
    > properly releasing system resources when it's done?

    Since it is intermittent and I have not bothered to run the problem down,
    I cannot say what is happening, when.

    When you logout, root is going to own the devices, one of which is sound.
    As you login, permissions and owner change to the login id.
    Maybe we are seeing a race condition, I cannot say. I gave you my
    settings and have not seen the problem in quite awhile.
    Then again, system is up 24/7 and bittwister is not logged out unless
    there is a mass KDE update. I will log out/in just to keep everybody honest.

    > Is this why you mentioned system notifications? AFAIK that's the
    > only thing that uses the sound system other than xine. I've never
    > had problems with system notifications before.

    What I gave you is what I have set. In the past (release 8.x or 9.x)
    there was one notification which locked up sound for me. Since I have
    several users needing sound I do not need the extra competition of
    desktop notifications. I have also seen /dev/dsp busy from some games
    so I set the 1 second idle usage.

  9. Re: Problems with Mandriva 2008 Powerpack

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 16:04:27 -0500, Marshall wrote:

    >> With previous versions of Mandrake/Mandriva, konquorer as root has always
    >> allowed me to change ownership and permissions of vfat drives. I'm not
    >> sure what it was really doing if vfat doesn't store this information but
    >> it made the drives so I could write to them.

    >Most likely just changing the permission of the mount point directory.

    Agreed. vfat has no permissions. The concept is not there. There is nothing
    in the file pointer to allow permissions to be stored.
    You can change the permissions of ALL of the files using the umask option in
    /etc/fstab (eg umask=0)
    man mount

    >> I'm worried that if I change anything or tighten the security level back
    >> to standard, I'll lose my permissions that I spent hours gaining. I've
    >> never had trouble changing ownership or permissions on earlier versions
    >> of Mandrake/Mandriva. And I've never had to reboot the entire system for
    >> changes to take affect (yuck, smells like Windows).

    NOr do you need to now. The only change you really need to reboot for are
    a)Kernel change
    b)change of the / partition.

    >Shouldn't have to reboot. Update the security settings for msec, and then
    >run msec (as root).

    ??

    >> Okay, I changed xine from default to alsa.
    >> I'm using KDE 3.5.7. How can I tell if it's using alsa?

    >Run kcontrol. Select Sound & Multimedia, then Sound System. On the hardware
    >tab, ensure the audio device is set to alsa. On the general tab, select the
    >Auto-suspend, and set the timeout to something low, like 10 seconds.

  10. Re: Problems with Mandriva 2008 Powerpack

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 13:50:21 -0500, Unruh wrote:

    > NOr do you need to now. The only change you really need to reboot for are
    > a)Kernel change
    > b)change of the / partition.

    c) reload a kernel module, that is in use.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  11. Re: Problems with Mandriva 2008 Powerpack

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 13:50:21 -0500, Unruh wrote:

    >> NOr do you need to now. The only change you really need to reboot for are
    >> a)Kernel change
    >> b)change of the / partition.

    >c) reload a kernel module, that is in use.

    Well, yes, unless you can stop it from being in use. (ie close all programs
    which use it) That may be impossible, in which case reboot is, I agree, the
    only option.

    >Regards, Dave Hodgins

    >--
    >Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

+ Reply to Thread