No K-Mail? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on No K-Mail? - Mandriva ; All of a sudden my k-mail can't link with incoming or outgoing mail, while part of Kontact or standing alone. The web hookup to verizon is fine and the same 'incoming.verizon.net' works on seamonkey mail. Also I get a crash ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: No K-Mail?

  1. No K-Mail?

    All of a sudden my k-mail can't link with incoming or outgoing mail,
    while part of Kontact or standing alone. The web hookup to verizon is
    fine and the same 'incoming.verizon.net' works on seamonkey mail. Also I
    get a crash notice every time I turn off ktorrent. The KDE is 3.5.7, the
    one that shipped with 2008-Free. I have the new KDE4 on the machine but
    it sets as a separate os. Any ideas?

  2. Re: No K-Mail?

    Baldeagle wrote:
    > All of a sudden my k-mail can't link with incoming or outgoing mail,
    > while part of Kontact or standing alone. The web hookup to verizon is
    > fine and the same 'incoming.verizon.net' works on seamonkey mail. Also I
    > get a crash notice every time I turn off ktorrent. The KDE is 3.5.7, the
    > one that shipped with 2008-Free. I have the new KDE4 on the machine but
    > it sets as a separate os. Any ideas?

    I've ffound that each time I try to connect to kmail server a lock file
    appears in the .kde/share/apps/kmail folder:
    appName=kontact
    hostname=localhost
    pid=-1
    programName=Kontact

    Any ideas? Because I'm miffed

  3. Re: No K-Mail?

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 14:34:51 -0500, Baldeagle wrote:

    > All of a sudden my k-mail can't link with incoming or outgoing mail,
    > while part of Kontact or standing alone. The web hookup to verizon is
    > fine and the same 'incoming.verizon.net' works on seamonkey mail. AlsoI


    There was a thread here a week or so ago about Verizon notifying customers
    of spam coming from their computers, and saying to switch to authenticated
    connections.

    Make sure the outgoing is using port 587, with the correct username/password.
    and incoming with port 110, again, with the correct username/password.

    See http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...mailKMail18076

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  4. Re: No K-Mail?

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 15:01:37 -0500, Baldeagle wrote:

    > I've ffound that each time I try to connect to kmail server a lock file
    > appears in the .kde/share/apps/kmail folder:
    > appName=kontact
    > hostname=localhost
    > pid=-1
    > programName=Kontact
    >
    > Any ideas? Because I'm miffed


    Did you try changing the port, as per my prior response? Still having
    problems?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  5. Re: No K-Mail?

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 15:19:30 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 14:34:51 -0500, Baldeagle
    > wrote:
    >
    >> All of a sudden my k-mail can't link with incoming or outgoing mail,
    >> while part of Kontact or standing alone. The web hookup to verizon is
    >> fine and the same 'incoming.verizon.net' works on seamonkey mail. Also
    >> I

    >
    > There was a thread here a week or so ago about Verizon notifying
    > customers of spam coming from their computers, and saying to switch to
    > authenticated connections.
    >
    > Make sure the outgoing is using port 587, with the correct
    > username/password. and incoming with port 110, again, with the correct
    > username/password.
    >
    > See http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...mailKMail18076
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins


    Dave,

    Just as a point of information, I am a comcast customer in the
    metropolitan Philadelphia, Pa area. Despite Comcast's FAQ posting, using
    port 587 for outgoing SMTP mail does not work at all here. I continue to
    have to use port 25.

    George

  6. Re: No K-Mail?

    On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:17:10 -0500, George Czerw wrote:

    > Just as a point of information, I am a comcast customer in the
    > metropolitan Philadelphia, Pa area. Despite Comcast's FAQ posting, using
    > port 587 for outgoing SMTP mail does not work at all here. I continue to
    > have to use port 25.


    That was a mistake on my part, posting the link to the comcast faq, for
    a verizon customer, although the info there should be of use.

    As I understand it, verizon is now requiring port 587, while comcast
    has been gradually rolling out the change, and requires it for some
    customers, but as you pointed out, do not have it available for all.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

+ Reply to Thread