Default HP printer - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Default HP printer - Mandriva ; After my debacle with the tax forms, I hesitate to bring this here. But, since the potential of looking like a fool hasn't stopped me before, why should it now? I've had a HP PSC 2110 for years. I recently ...

  1. Default HP printer

    After my debacle with the tax forms, I hesitate to bring this here. But,
    since the potential of looking like a fool hasn't stopped me before, why
    should it now?

    I've had a HP PSC 2110 for years. I recently picked up a HP Deskjet
    5650, and now that I've used it a bit I'd like to change it to be my
    default printer. However, Printerdrake won't let me do it. Oh, it
    changes the default OK, but it won't stay that way. No matter what I've
    tried, the 2110 ALWAYS comes back to being the default. I even went so
    far as to remove each printer and re-install it, with the same results.
    (Sigh. Microsoft thinking - I know. But nothing else had worked - it was
    worth a try.) There is no way to make the 5650 the default and still
    have the 2110 installed.

    Maybe I'm missing something, but for the life of me I can't think of
    what it might be. So I ask you guys - Is there some reason why the
    printerdrake/HPLIP/CUPS system insists on keeping the 2110 as the default?

    TJ

  2. Re: Default HP printer

    TJ wrote:
    > I've had a HP PSC 2110 for years. I recently picked up a HP Deskjet
    > 5650, and now that I've used it a bit I'd like to change it to be my
    > default printer. However, Printerdrake won't let me do it. Oh, it
    > changes the default OK, but it won't stay that way. No matter what I've
    > tried, the 2110 ALWAYS comes back to being the default. I even went so
    > far as to remove each printer and re-install it, with the same results.
    > (Sigh. Microsoft thinking - I know. But nothing else had worked - it was
    > worth a try.) There is no way to make the 5650 the default and still
    > have the 2110 installed.
    >
    > Maybe I'm missing something, but for the life of me I can't think of
    > what it might be. So I ask you guys - Is there some reason why the
    > printerdrake/HPLIP/CUPS system insists on keeping the 2110 as the default?

    Have you taken a look at printer.conf in /etc/cups? There may be
    more than one printer.conf* file, if backups to changes have been
    automagically made. Changes made there might stick.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Default HP printer

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > TJ wrote:
    >> I've had a HP PSC 2110 for years. I recently picked up a HP Deskjet
    >> 5650, and now that I've used it a bit I'd like to change it to be my
    >> default printer. However, Printerdrake won't let me do it. Oh, it
    >> changes the default OK, but it won't stay that way. No matter what
    >> I've tried, the 2110 ALWAYS comes back to being the default. I even
    >> went so far as to remove each printer and re-install it, with the same
    >> results. (Sigh. Microsoft thinking - I know. But nothing else had
    >> worked - it was worth a try.) There is no way to make the 5650 the
    >> default and still have the 2110 installed.
    >>
    >> Maybe I'm missing something, but for the life of me I can't think of
    >> what it might be. So I ask you guys - Is there some reason why the
    >> printerdrake/HPLIP/CUPS system insists on keeping the 2110 as the
    >> default?

    > Have you taken a look at printer.conf in /etc/cups? There may be
    > more than one printer.conf* file, if backups to changes have been
    > automagically made. Changes made there might stick.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    OK, now I'm really confused - or maybe my computer is. Both printer.conf
    and printer.conf.0 (Not sure if that's a numeral or a letter) say the
    5650 is the default printer. A click on the "Manage Printing" entry of
    the K menu brings up a CUPS configuration page in Firefox that says the
    same thing. But if I look at the printers through MCC it still says the
    2110 is the default, and all the apps I've looked at call the 2110 as
    the default. I can change it in MCC, but if I leave and go back it says
    the 2110 is the default again. I thought maybe I had to reboot for the
    setting to take effect, but it didn't work.

    Now what?

    TJ

  4. Re: Default HP printer

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 21:48:41 -0500, TJ wrote:

    > Now what?

    delete all references to the printers installed via cups and mcc and start
    over again...things is gettin mo M$ like all the time ain't they?

  5. Re: Default HP printer

    TJ wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >> TJ wrote:
    >>> I've had a HP PSC 2110 for years. I recently picked up a HP Deskjet
    >>> 5650, and now that I've used it a bit I'd like to change it to be my
    >>> default printer. However, Printerdrake won't let me do it. Oh, it
    >>> changes the default OK, but it won't stay that way. No matter what
    >>> I've tried, the 2110 ALWAYS comes back to being the default. I even
    >>> went so far as to remove each printer and re-install it, with the
    >>> same results. (Sigh. Microsoft thinking - I know. But nothing else
    >>> had worked - it was worth a try.) There is no way to make the 5650
    >>> the default and still have the 2110 installed.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe I'm missing something, but for the life of me I can't think of
    >>> what it might be. So I ask you guys - Is there some reason why the
    >>> printerdrake/HPLIP/CUPS system insists on keeping the 2110 as the
    >>> default?

    >> Have you taken a look at printer.conf in /etc/cups? There may be
    >> more than one printer.conf* file, if backups to changes have been
    >> automagically made. Changes made there might stick.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > OK, now I'm really confused - or maybe my computer is. Both printer.conf
    > and printer.conf.0 (Not sure if that's a numeral or a letter) say the
    > 5650 is the default printer. A click on the "Manage Printing" entry of
    > the K menu brings up a CUPS configuration page in Firefox that says the
    > same thing. But if I look at the printers through MCC it still says the
    > 2110 is the default, and all the apps I've looked at call the 2110 as
    > the default. I can change it in MCC, but if I leave and go back it says
    > the 2110 is the default again. I thought maybe I had to reboot for the
    > setting to take effect, but it didn't work.
    >
    > Now what?

    The only thing I can think of is that KDE and specific applications
    have their own idea of what the default printer is, and they are
    sending to that by model number rather than to default.

    I wonder if uninstalling all printers, rebooting, and starting over
    would cure that?

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  6. Re: Default HP printer

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 21:48:41 -0500, TJ wrote:

    > same thing. But if I look at the printers through MCC it still says the
    > 2110 is the default, and all the apps I've looked at call the 2110 as
    > the default. I can change it in MCC, but if I leave and go back it says

    Looking at printerdrake and /usr/lib/libDrakX/printer/*, it appears to
    be using the lpoptions command, to set/get the default printer.

    What's in /etc/cups/lpoptions, and, if present, ~/.cups/lpoptions.

    Read man lpoptions, for bypassing printerdrake, and setting the
    options yourself.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Default HP printer

    I'll try this yet again. I made this post twice already. The first time
    was on Feb.7, and the second Feb. 12. Both went through TeraNews, and
    neither one has appeared yet. I'm now trying a different service,
    Motzarella. Maybe it'll work this time.

> [...]
    >> TJ wrote:

    >>> OK, now I'm really confused - or maybe my computer is. Both
    >>> printer.conf and printer.conf.0 (Not sure if that's a numeral or
    >>> a letter) say the 5650 is the default printer. A click on the
    >>> "Manage Printing" entry of the K menu brings up a CUPS
    >>> configuration page in Firefox that says the same thing. But if I
    >>> look at the printers through MCC it still says the 2110 is the
    >>> default, and all the apps I've looked at call the 2110 as the
    >>> default. I can change it in MCC, but if I leave and go back it
    >>> says the 2110 is the default again. I thought maybe I had to
    >>> reboot for the setting to take effect, but it didn't work.
    >>>
    >>> Now what?

    >> The only thing I can think of is that KDE and specific applications
    >> have their own idea of what the default printer is, and they are
    >> sending to that by model number rather than to default.
    >>
    >> I wonder if uninstalling all printers, rebooting, and starting over
    >> would cure that?
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > Nope, it didn't. Not by itself, anyway. That's what I tried first
    > this afternoon after reading mr b,s reply. I even uninstalled hplip
    > while I was at it. But that apparently wasn't thorough enough, as
    > after I installed the 5650, then the PSC, and everything looked fine,
    > when I went back the PSC was the default again.
    >
    > So I tried again, getting more drastic this time. I unplugged the
    > printers, then uninstalled hplip and Cups both. Then I went to
    > /etc/cups and eliminated both printer.conf files. Then I searched
    > about for a while, looking for something else that might be hanging
    > behind to screw things up. I didn't find anything, but then I didn't
    > know what I was looking for, anyway. When I finished, I shut down and
    > brought things back up. Then I looked at a couple of apps to
    > determine just what they now considered the default printer. They all
    > said "Postscript(Default)." Then for good measure, I shut down again
    > before putting things back.
    >
    > I brought things back by re-installing both cups and hplip - before
    > connecting the printers' usb cables. I then connected the 5650, which
    > brought up Printerdrake and installed some more packages before
    > installing the printer. The 5650 was installed as the default. Then,
    > I turned to the PSC 2110. It installed without a hitch.
    >
    > The 5650 now stays the default printer, as I wanted it to do. But I
    > don't think it was all the manipulation I described above that did
    > the trick. No, the more I think about it, I think it worked because I
    > installed the printers using different names this time. I doubt that
    > any leftover conf file that makes "HPPSC2110" the default will act
    > upon "PSC2110" in the same way.
    >
    > Sigh. I wish I'd thought of that before. No, it doesn't fix the
    > problem, it works around it. But that's all I need, and the whole
    > thing will be cleaned up when I do a clean install of 2008.1 in a few

  8. Re: Default HP printer

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:30:23 -0500, TJ wrote:
    > I'll try this yet again. I made this post twice already. The first time
    > was on Feb.7, and the second Feb. 12. Both went through TeraNews, and
    > neither one has appeared yet.

    I saw your posts.

    > I'm now trying a different service,
    > Motzarella. Maybe it'll work this time.

    I have yet to use printer drake.
    I powered up my usb printer, popups show up for cups and hp module
    install and away I went.

    http://localhost:631 allowed to login as root and configure just about
    everything I wanted.

  9. Re: Default HP printer

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:30:23 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >> I'll try this yet again. I made this post twice already. The first time
    >> was on Feb.7, and the second Feb. 12. Both went through TeraNews, and
    >> neither one has appeared yet.

    > I saw your posts.

    Well now, that's VERY interesting. The earlier versions don't show on
    Teranews, Google Groups, or Motzarella for me. Until this one, I had two
    posts showing in this thread - the one that started it and one early
    reply. Now why should you see them and not me? BTW, the Motzarella posts
    appear almost immediately.

    TJ

    >> I'm now trying a different service,
    >> Motzarella. Maybe it'll work this time.

    > I have yet to use printer drake.
    > I powered up my usb printer, popups show up for cups and hp module
    > install and away I went.
    >
    > http://localhost:631 allowed to login as root and configure just about
    > everything I wanted.

  10. Re: Default HP printer

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:52:04 -0500, TJ wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:30:23 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >>> I'll try this yet again. I made this post twice already. The first time
    >>> was on Feb.7, and the second Feb. 12. Both went through TeraNews, and
    >>> neither one has appeared yet.

    >> I saw your posts.
    >>

    > Well now, that's VERY interesting. The earlier versions don't show on
    > Teranews, Google Groups, or Motzarella for me.
    > Until this one, I had two
    > posts showing in this thread - the one that started it and one early
    > reply. Now why should you see them and not me?

    Here is the ones I saw. Watch out for line wrap.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...fe79339ebcd48e

    > BTW, the Motzarella posts appear almost immediately.

    They would since we are using the same server. :-D

  11. Re: Default HP printer

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:52:04 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:
    >>> I saw your posts.
    >>>

    >> Well now, that's VERY interesting. The earlier versions don't show on
    >> Teranews, Google Groups, or Motzarella for me.
    >> Until this one, I had two
    >> posts showing in this thread - the one that started it and one early
    >> reply. Now why should you see them and not me?

    > Here is the ones I saw. Watch out for line wrap.
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...fe79339ebcd48e
    >
    >> BTW, the Motzarella posts appear almost immediately.

    > They would since we are using the same server. :-D

    OK, the two attempts I referred to still aren't there. The post I made
    originally appears as quoted text at the end of the third attempt. That
    original was a followup, explaining what I finally did to resolve the
    matter. I only posted it because there appeared to be some interest in
    the subject, and I didn't want to leave people hanging. It was to have
    been my last post to this thread.

    So much for the plans of Mice and Men.

    TJ

+ Reply to Thread