Computer won't turn off - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Computer won't turn off - Mandriva ; Hi, I upgraded to Mandriva 2008, and when I try to shutdown, it gets almost all the way, right up to the keyboard lights flashing on, then some click from the computer but the power supply keeps in going. (I ...

  1. Computer won't turn off

    Hi,

    I upgraded to Mandriva 2008, and when I try to shutdown, it gets
    almost all the way, right up to the keyboard lights flashing on, then
    some click from the computer but the power supply keeps in going.

    (I also put in a new power supply at the same time)

    Even more odd is that if I press then on/off button on the front of
    the case when the system is running, Gnome pipes up and says 'Are you
    sure you want to log off?'

    Any suggestions?

    Another annoying thing is that if I turn it off via the switch on the
    power supply, I have to wait a few minutes before turning it back on,
    otherwise the computer sounds like a car trying to start with no
    petrol.

    thanks

    PS. For some reason (ie I didn't want to use Kwallet) KMail lost the
    password to the email account. Oh thats OK, I can use the web mail
    system to send me a password reminder. Oh, hang on - how can I access
    the account to read that email?

    PPS. I get home and turn on the lights - bang. Fuse atomised. More
    tribulations. I am having a wide range of electricity related
    difficulties today.

  2. Re: Computer won't turn off

    spam-me.please@ntlworld.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I upgraded to Mandriva 2008, and when I try to shutdown, it gets
    > almost all the way, right up to the keyboard lights flashing on,
    > then some click from the computer but the power supply keeps in
    > going.

    My eMachine T6524 with Microstar board and Athlon 64 3500+ has did the
    same thing with PCLinuxOS 2007 and Mandriva 2007-8 but its shutting
    down fine now by using the tip below...

    ++++++++++++++++++++
    Go to the Control center - > Boot -> Setup how the system boots. Then
    click next and on the next screen click modify and enter this text:
    Code:

    acpi=off apm=power-off

    at the end of the line
    +++++++++++++++++++++

    --
    Patrick in IL.

  3. Re: Computer won't turn off

    On Feb 6, 11:40 am, Patrick Phillips wrote:
    > spam-me.ple...@ntlworld.com wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I upgraded to Mandriva 2008, and when I try to shutdown, it gets
    > > almost all the way, right up to the keyboard lights flashing on,
    > > then some click from the computer but the power supply keeps in
    > > going.

    > My eMachine T6524 with Microstar board and Athlon 64 3500+ has did the
    > same thing with PCLinuxOS 2007 and Mandriva 2007-8 but its shutting
    > down fine now by using the tip below...
    >
    > ++++++++++++++++++++
    > Go to the Control center - > Boot -> Setup how the system boots. Then
    > click next and on the next screen click modify and enter this text:
    > Code:
    >
    > acpi=off apm=power-off
    >
    > at the end of the line
    > +++++++++++++++++++++
    >
    > --
    > Patrick in IL.

    I did as you suggested, and that did indeed work.

    Unfortunately it also caused the computer to randomly lock up, usually
    within a few minutes of loading the desktop.

  4. Re: Computer won't turn off

    spam-me.please@ntlworld.com wrote:

    > I did as you suggested, and that did indeed work.
    >
    > Unfortunately it also caused the computer to randomly lock up,
    > usually within a few minutes of loading the desktop.

    I don't see how it would have anything to do with causing lockup's?
    All it does is turn off power management so PC can shutdown.

    Have you tried removing those shutdown commands and if the lockups
    stop?

    --
    Patrick in IL.

  5. Re: Computer won't turn off

    On 10 Feb, 02:38, Patrick Phillips wrote:
    > spam-me.ple...@ntlworld.com wrote:
    > > I did as you suggested, and that did indeed work.

    > > Unfortunately it also caused the computer to randomly lock up,
    > > usually within a few minutes of loading the desktop.

    > I don't see how it would have anything to do with causing lockup's?
    > All it does is turn off power management so PC can shutdown.
    >
    > Have you tried removing those shutdown commands and if the lockups
    > stop?
    >
    > --
    > Patrick in IL.

    Yes, I removed those commands and the lockups stopped.

    The only other thing I did (before posting anything) was stop the
    acpi, and the acpi daemon (I think) services, and also stopped them
    from coming on at boot. I expect that has the same effect as putting
    acpi=off line. Doing both shouldn't cause any ill effects.

    dan

  6. Re: Computer won't turn off

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:21:46 -0500, wrote:

    > The only other thing I did (before posting anything) was stop the
    > acpi, and the acpi daemon (I think) services, and also stopped them
    > from coming on at boot. I expect that has the same effect as putting
    > acpi=off line. Doing both shouldn't cause any ill effects.

    Just fyi.

    The acpi service simply tries to load the kernel modules, for monitoring
    information from acpi, such as the battery level, etc.

    The acpid service starts the daemon that will shutdown the system if the
    battery level gets too low, or the power button is pressed, etc.

    With acpi off, in the kernel options, starting of both services should
    do nothing. If the kernel option is not there, and you do not load
    start the services, the kernel will still receive acpi "events", but
    should be ignoring them.

    The kernel option is the key, when there is a problem between the kernel,
    and the hardware, regarding the handling of acpi events.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Computer won't turn off

    spam-me.please@ntlworld.com wrote:

    > Yes, I removed those commands and the lockups stopped.
    >
    > The only other thing I did (before posting anything) was stop the
    > acpi, and the acpi daemon (I think) services, and also stopped them
    > from coming on at boot. I expect that has the same effect as putting
    > acpi=off line. Doing both shouldn't cause any ill effects.

    I don't know what to suggest, I got that shutdown tip from PCLinuxOS
    users forum because I had shutdown problems with PCLinuxOS 2007, then
    recently installed Mandriva 2008 and it hung at shutdown same way, so
    thought I'd try the fix and its been working, and I've not had any
    lockups.
    --
    Patrick in IL.

  8. Re: Computer won't turn off

    On February 10, 2008 7:24 pm, in the newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in
    article <8781685.uOT1ay9Hxz@spooker>, Patrick Phillips wrote:

    > spam-me.please@ntlworld.com wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, I removed those commands and the lockups stopped.
    >>
    >> The only other thing I did (before posting anything) was stop the
    >> acpi, and the acpi daemon (I think) services, and also stopped them
    >> from coming on at boot. I expect that has the same effect as putting
    >> acpi=off line. Doing both shouldn't cause any ill effects.
    >>

    > I don't know what to suggest, I got that shutdown tip from PCLinuxOS
    > users forum because I had shutdown problems with PCLinuxOS 2007, then
    > recently installed Mandriva 2008 and it hung at shutdown same way, so
    > thought I'd try the fix and its been working, and I've not had any
    > lockups.

    Worked for me. It's good to have the machine turn off again. Mind you this
    an old DELL Optiplex GX1 form some time in the last millennium.
    --
    Cliff

+ Reply to Thread