Compiz Fusion Transparent Cube On Mandriva 2008.0 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Compiz Fusion Transparent Cube On Mandriva 2008.0 - Mandriva ; I installed the compiz-fusion and emerald packages, and have got them working properly, except; I can't seem to get the transparent cube to work. I enabled the effect in the compiz manager, but when I rotate the cube it's still ...

  1. Compiz Fusion Transparent Cube On Mandriva 2008.0

    I installed the compiz-fusion and emerald packages, and have got them
    working properly, except;

    I can't seem to get the transparent cube to work. I enabled the effect
    in the compiz manager, but when I rotate the cube it's still solid.

  2. Re: Compiz Fusion Transparent Cube On Mandriva 2008.0

    Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > I installed the compiz-fusion and emerald packages, and have got them
    > working properly, except;
    >
    > I can't seem to get the transparent cube to work. I enabled the effect
    > in the compiz manager, but when I rotate the cube it's still solid.

    if you rotate the cube with the mouse you should get a transparent cube but
    with ctrl+alt+left arrow key i don't think you will.

  3. Re: Compiz Fusion Transparent Cube On Mandriva 2008.0

    On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 08:35:33 +0000, Darklight wrote:

    > Les B. Labbauf wrote:
    >
    >> I installed the compiz-fusion and emerald packages, and have got them
    >> working properly, except;
    >>
    >> I can't seem to get the transparent cube to work. I enabled the effect
    >> in the compiz manager, but when I rotate the cube it's still solid.

    > if you rotate the cube with the mouse you should get a transparent cube
    > but with ctrl+alt+left arrow key i don't think you will.

    OK The only way I can rotate the cube is holding ctrl-alt plus the mouse
    or the arrow key. In both cases, no transparency.

  4. Re: Compiz Fusion Transparent Cube On Mandriva 2008.0

    On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 05:19:18 -0600, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 08:35:33 +0000, Darklight wrote:
    >
    >> Les B. Labbauf wrote:
    >>
    >>> I installed the compiz-fusion and emerald packages, and have got them
    >>> working properly, except;
    >>>
    >>> I can't seem to get the transparent cube to work. I enabled the
    >>> effect in the compiz manager, but when I rotate the cube it's still
    >>> solid.

    >> if you rotate the cube with the mouse you should get a transparent cube
    >> but with ctrl+alt+left arrow key i don't think you will.

    > OK The only way I can rotate the cube is holding ctrl-alt plus the mouse
    > or the arrow key. In both cases, no transparency.

    Could it be a hardware issue? Maybe the system has enough juice to run
    MOST of the compiz effects, but the transparency pushes it over the top?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  5. Re: Compiz Fusion Transparent Cube On Mandriva 2008.0

    On Feb 5, 10:24 pm, JTJersey wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 05:19:18 -0600, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > >> if you rotate the cube with the mouse you should get a transparent cube
    > >> but with ctrl+alt+left arrow key i don't think you will.

    > > OK The only way I can rotate the cube is holding ctrl-alt plus the mouse
    > > or the arrow key. In both cases, no transparency.

    > Could it be a hardware issue? Maybe the system has enough juice to run
    > MOST of the compiz effects, but the transparency pushes it over the top?
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152

    Don't think that's the problem, because I was able to use the
    transparent cube in Beryl with Mandriva 2007 on the same laptop. Also
    I can't seem to get the inside-cube effect to work as well. Besides
    if it was pushing the hardware, it wouldn't just not work, it would be
    slow and sluggish.

  6. Re: Compiz Fusion Transparent Cube On Mandriva 2008.0

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 08:26:46 -0800, Evil Bastard wrote:

    >> Could it be a hardware issue? Maybe the system has enough juice to run
    >> MOST of the compiz effects, but the transparency pushes it over the
    >> top?

    > Don't think that's the problem, because I was able to use the
    > transparent cube in Beryl with Mandriva 2007 on the same laptop.

    It could well be the problem.

    Beryl was a *lot* more efficient in terms of resources. I had all the
    Beryl effects working on a machine that will barely run Compiz at all.

    > Also I
    > can't seem to get the inside-cube effect to work as well. Besides if it
    > was pushing the hardware, it wouldn't just not work, it would be slow
    > and sluggish.

    You could be pushing the hardware. Compiz's preferred failure mode is
    catastrophic instead of graceful.

  7. Re: Compiz Fusion Transparent Cube On Mandriva 2008.0

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 18:39:29 +0100, Mark South wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 08:26:46 -0800, Evil Bastard wrote:
    >
    >>> Could it be a hardware issue? Maybe the system has enough juice to
    >>> run MOST of the compiz effects, but the transparency pushes it over
    >>> the top?

    >> Don't think that's the problem, because I was able to use the
    >> transparent cube in Beryl with Mandriva 2007 on the same laptop.

    > It could well be the problem.
    >
    > Beryl was a *lot* more efficient in terms of resources. I had all the
    > Beryl effects working on a machine that will barely run Compiz at all.
    >
    >> Also I
    >> can't seem to get the inside-cube effect to work as well. Besides if
    >> it was pushing the hardware, it wouldn't just not work, it would be
    >> slow and sluggish.

    > You could be pushing the hardware. Compiz's preferred failure mode is
    > catastrophic instead of graceful.

    Well still no luck getting the transparency working in the cube. Also
    the inside cube isn't working either. I tried disabling all the plug-ins
    and most effects. Still ain't working.

    Anyone else having a problem with transparent cube on Mandriva 2008?

  8. Re: Compiz Fusion Transparent Cube On Mandriva 2008.0

    On Feb 12, 8:59 pm, "Les B. Labbauf" wrote:

    > >> Don't think that's the problem, because I was able to use the
    > >> transparent cube in Beryl with Mandriva 2007 on the same laptop.

    > > It could well be the problem.

    > > Beryl was a *lot* more efficient in terms of resources. I had all the
    > > Beryl effects working on a machine that will barely runCompizat all.

    > >> Also I
    > >> can't seem to get the inside-cube effect to work as well. Besides if
    > >> it was pushing the hardware, it wouldn't just not work, it would be
    > >> slow and sluggish.

    > > You could be pushing the hardware. Compiz'spreferred failure mode is
    > > catastrophic instead of graceful.

    > Well still no luck getting thetransparencyworking in the cube. Also
    > the inside cube isn't working either. I tried disabling all the plug-ins
    > and most effects. Still ain't working.
    >
    > Anyone else having a problem with transparent cube on Mandriva 2008?

    Well I figured out what the problem was, and it's so EASY DOH!!!

    Instead of using compiz in my startup programs, I changed it to compiz-
    fusion and now the transparency works!

+ Reply to Thread