firewire not recognizing DV camera - Mandriva

This is a discussion on firewire not recognizing DV camera - Mandriva ; to all, I'm having trouble getting Kino to grab DV. I tried: lsmod|grep 1394 it gives: raw1394 23448 0 ohci1394 29744 0 eth1394 15940 0 ieee1394 79384 4 sbp2,raw1394,ohci1394,eth1394 I changed the permissions to /dev/raw1394 to 777 but no luck. ...

  1. firewire not recognizing DV camera

    to all,

    I'm having trouble getting Kino to grab DV.

    I tried:
    lsmod|grep 1394

    it gives:

    raw1394 23448 0
    ohci1394 29744 0
    eth1394 15940 0
    ieee1394 79384 4 sbp2,raw1394,ohci1394,eth1394

    I changed the permissions to /dev/raw1394 to 777 but no luck.

    Kernel is:Linux somelaptop.invalid-net.nl 2.6.24-laptop-0.rc5.1mdv #1 SMP
    Wed Dec 12 15:03:30 CET 2007 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.40GHz
    GNU/Linux

    I checked /etc/modprobe.conf and it has the new stanza:

    install ohci1394 /sbin/modprobe eth1394; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
    ohci1394

    Running the command dvgrab gives:
    Error: no camera exists

    I have checked the cable and the camera is turned on.

    Pushing the Play button on the camera makes no difference.

    dvgrab is version 3.1

    Any help is appreciated!

    Thanks,

    G.C.

  2. Re: firewire not recognizing DV camera

    nospamGC wrote:
    > to all,
    >
    > I'm having trouble getting Kino to grab DV.
    >
    > I tried:
    > lsmod|grep 1394
    >
    > it gives:
    >
    > raw1394 23448 0
    > ohci1394 29744 0
    > eth1394 15940 0
    > ieee1394 79384 4 sbp2,raw1394,ohci1394,eth1394
    >
    > I changed the permissions to /dev/raw1394 to 777 but no luck.
    >
    > Kernel is:Linux somelaptop.invalid-net.nl 2.6.24-laptop-0.rc5.1mdv #1 SMP
    > Wed Dec 12 15:03:30 CET 2007 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.40GHz
    > GNU/Linux
    >
    > I checked /etc/modprobe.conf and it has the new stanza:
    >
    > install ohci1394 /sbin/modprobe eth1394; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
    > ohci1394
    >
    > Running the command dvgrab gives:
    > Error: no camera exists
    >
    > I have checked the cable and the camera is turned on.
    >
    > Pushing the Play button on the camera makes no difference.
    >

    > dvgrab is version 3.1
    >
    > Any help is appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > G.C.

    ok load dv1394 kernel module then try agane.

    let me know if this works, seems to work for me.

  3. Re: firewire not recognizing DV camera

    trouble getting Kino to grab DV.

    > ok load dv1394 kernel module then try agane.
    >
    > let me know if this works, seems to work for me.

    Thanks, module dv1394 loaded now. ls -la /dev/dv1394 shows:

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 2008-01-27 09:47 0 -> ../dv1394-0

    dvgrab 3.1 still reports:
    Error: no camera exists

    There's probably more to it...

    Thanks,
    G.C.

  4. Re: firewire not recognizing DV camera

    nospamGC wrote:

    > trouble getting Kino to grab DV.
    >

    >> ok load dv1394 kernel module then try agane.
    >>
    >> let me know if this works, seems to work for me.

    > Thanks, module dv1394 loaded now. ls -la /dev/dv1394 shows:
    >
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 2008-01-27 09:47 0 -> ../dv1394-0
    >
    > dvgrab 3.1 still reports:
    > Error: no camera exists
    >
    > There's probably more to it...
    >

    > Thanks,
    > G.C.
    darn

    after a bit of poking around all I needed to have loaded is ohci1394
    ieee1394 raw1394, I also have eth1394 loaded I did some exparimanting
    with firewire link to my laptop once.

    dvgrap didn't work without raw1394 loaded after loading it it worked fine

    ok this leaves the posibilities that the dv cable is bad or that the
    camara has to be told to send dv, look in the menu for the camara for dv
    options.

    also just for fun dubble check the connections between the camara and
    the cable, if the wires are loose it might explain your problem.

    my dv cable is a bit loose but works fine sofar the only time I droped
    frames is when I did the dvgrab tests for you.

  5. Re: firewire not recognizing DV camera

    > nospamGC wrote:
    >>
    >> trouble getting Kino to grab DV.
    >>

    >>> ok load dv1394 kernel module then try agane.
    >>>

    >> Thanks, module dv1394 loaded now.

    >> dvgrab 3.1 still reports:
    >> Error: no camera exists
    >>
    >> There's probably more to it...

    > darn
    >

    > dvgrap didn't work without raw1394 loaded after loading it it worked
    > fine
    >
    > ok this leaves the posibilities that the dv cable is bad or that the
    > camara has to be told to send dv, look in the menu for the camara for dv
    > options.

    Checked, camcorder has no such menu entries.

    > also just for fun dubble check the connections between the camara and
    > the cable, if the wires are loose it might explain your problem.

    Checked this by using a different cable, no luck.

    > my dv cable is a bit loose but works fine sofar the only time I droped
    > frames is when I did the dvgrab tests for you.

    Thanks for trying, Chris. I appreciate your help.
    Could you post your /etc/modprobe.conf and the output of uname -a?
    (and are you loading sbp2 in /etc/modprobe.preload as per :

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/
    (2008 Errata ; Firewire_devices_not_detected)?

    btw Ubuntu Gutsy with all updates on a different machine has problems
    grabbing DV too, I'm suspecting this problem to occur in the latest
    kernels. Still need to try downgrading to 2007 spring or alike.

    Thanks,
    G.C.

    Thanks,
    G.C.

  6. Re: firewire not recognizing DV camera

    nospamGC wrote:

    >> nospamGC wrote:
    >>>
    >>> trouble getting Kino to grab DV.

    >>> Thanks, module dv1394 loaded now.

    >>> dvgrab 3.1 still reports:
    >>> Error: no camera exists
    >>>
    >>> There's probably more to it...

    >> darn
    >>

    >> dvgrap didn't work without raw1394 loaded after loading it it worked
    >> fine
    >>
    >> ok this leaves the posibilities that the dv cable is bad or that the
    >> camara has to be told to send dv, look in the menu for the camara for dv
    >> options.
    >>

    > Checked, camcorder has no such menu entries.
    >
    >> also just for fun dubble check the connections between the camara and
    >> the cable, if the wires are loose it might explain your problem.

    > Checked this by using a different cable, no luck.
    >> my dv cable is a bit loose but works fine sofar the only time I droped
    >> frames is when I did the dvgrab tests for you.

    > Thanks for trying, Chris. I appreciate your help.
    > Could you post your /etc/modprobe.conf and the output of uname -a?
    > (and are you loading sbp2 in /etc/modprobe.preload as per :
    >
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/
    > (2008 Errata ; Firewire_devices_not_detected)?
    >
    > btw Ubuntu Gutsy with all updates on a different machine has problems
    > grabbing DV too, I'm suspecting this problem to occur in the latest
    > kernels. Still need to try downgrading to 2007 spring or alike.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > G.C.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > G.C.

    [diehard@diehardp4 ~]$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
    alias eth0 8139too
    alias sound-slot-0 snd_emu10k1
    install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe usb_storage; /bin/true
    install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci_hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd;
    /bin/true
    install ide-controller /sbin/modprobe piix; /bin/true
    alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
    alias eth1 eth1394
    [diehard@diehardp4 ~]$ uname -a
    Linux diehardp4 2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv #1 SMP Tue Nov 20 08:38:27 EST
    2007 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GNU/Linux
    [diehard@diehardp4 ~]$

  7. Re: firewire not recognizing DV camera

    Grabbing dv in Kino is still not working for me. This is the output of
    uname -a:

    Linux somehost 2.6.24-desktop-0.rc6.2mdv #1 SMP Fri Dec 28 15:06:13 BRST
    2007 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz GNU/Linux

    All the nescessary modules for the 1394 subsystem are loaded.

    Instead of 2007 Spring I´m going to try 2008.1 alpha 2 on a spare machine
    first. I'll post the results. If that doesn't work, I'm still going to
    try 2007 Spring.

    Thanks,
    G.C.

+ Reply to Thread