Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300 - Mandriva ; I want to be able to copy photos from my mobile phone to my Mandriva 2008 system, Using a standard USB cable and 'Wammu' all I can get from the phone in 'Nokia mode' is the name and phone number ...

  1. Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    I want to be able to copy photos from my mobile phone to my Mandriva 2008
    system,

    Using a standard USB cable and 'Wammu' all I can get from the phone in
    'Nokia mode' is the name and phone number part of the 'Contacts', nothing
    else; with Xgnokii I can't even 'find' the phone.

    Setting the phone to 'USB data mode' it is detected by Mandriva as
    '/dev/sda' (according to syslog) but no filesystem is found and Discdrake
    can't 'find' it at all. Transferring the MicroSD card to a USB card
    reader, Diskdrake does find it - but seems to think there is no filesystem
    present and the only option offered is to 'format' the card. I don't want
    to do that as the phone clearly has got data (including the photos) stored
    on that card - I've convinced myself of that by trying to find them
    through the phone's own interface while the card isn't present, and they
    aren't there; the phone can only find them when the memory card is
    present.

    So ... as I understand the phone's instruction book, it should be able to
    share data with other 'Bluetooth' devices. My question therefore is, has
    anyone got any advice about which bluetooth dongle to get, or avoid, to
    work with Mdv2008? (Preferably not too expensive, and available in the
    UK).

    I have no previous experience or knowledge of using bluetooth for anything.
    I've found but it
    seems the bluetooth gods don't want people to know which devices, if any,
    work with Linux.

    If anyone has got a Nokia 6300 and Mandriva swapping data in any way at
    all, I'd be interested to know.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  2. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    Whiskers wrote:

    > I want to be able to copy photos from my mobile phone to my Mandriva 2008
    > system,

    > So ... as I understand the phone's instruction book, it should be able to
    > share data with other 'Bluetooth' devices. My question therefore is, has
    > anyone got any advice about which bluetooth dongle to get, or avoid, to
    > work with Mdv2008? (Preferably not too expensive, and available in the
    > UK).

    I have a Sitecom dongle. It was the cheapest one I could find and it just
    works.

    > I have no previous experience or knowledge of using bluetooth for
    > anything. I've found
    > but it seems the
    > bluetooth gods don't want people to know which devices, if any, work with
    > Linux.

    Install either the gnome or kde bluetooth tools and away you go.

    > If anyone has got a Nokia 6300 and Mandriva swapping data in any way at
    > all, I'd be interested to know.

    I've found bluetooth to be the only way I could access any of the phones
    I've had, Motorola, Samsung and Sony Erricson. The only brand I've never
    tried is Nokia

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

  3. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    On 2008-01-21, sid wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> I want to be able to copy photos from my mobile phone to my Mandriva 2008
    >> system,

    >> So ... as I understand the phone's instruction book, it should be able to
    >> share data with other 'Bluetooth' devices. My question therefore is, has
    >> anyone got any advice about which bluetooth dongle to get, or avoid, to
    >> work with Mdv2008? (Preferably not too expensive, and available in the
    >> UK).

    > I have a Sitecom dongle. It was the cheapest one I could find and it just
    > works.

    That's good to know. I have a Sitecom PC Card dial-up modem that 'just
    works'.

    >> I have no previous experience or knowledge of using bluetooth for
    >> anything. I've found
    >> but it seems the
    >> bluetooth gods don't want people to know which devices, if any, work with
    >> Linux.

    > Install either the gnome or kde bluetooth tools and away you go.
    >>
    >> If anyone has got a Nokia 6300 and Mandriva swapping data in any way at
    >> all, I'd be interested to know.

    > I've found bluetooth to be the only way I could access any of the phones
    > I've had, Motorola, Samsung and Sony Erricson. The only brand I've never
    > tried is Nokia

    The only non-Nokia mobile I've ever had, was a Philips. I like Samsung
    stuff normally, and they're more Linux-friendly than some firms, but the
    Nokia came free with my service and that's my favourite price )

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  4. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    On 2008-01-21, sid wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> I want to be able to copy photos from my mobile phone to my Mandriva 2008
    >> system,

    >> So ... as I understand the phone's instruction book, it should be able to
    >> share data with other 'Bluetooth' devices. My question therefore is, has
    >> anyone got any advice about which bluetooth dongle to get, or avoid, to
    >> work with Mdv2008? (Preferably not too expensive, and available in the
    >> UK).

    > I have a Sitecom dongle. It was the cheapest one I could find and it just
    > works.

    [...]

    The man in my local Maplin had not only heard of Linux, he didn't bat an
    eyelid when I told him I wanted a bluetooth dongle to work with it. A
    little clattering of his keyboard and flicking through his paper catalogue
    and he recommended a 'no-name made in China' little green thing for 9.99
    (despite the catalogue price of 24.99) which is apparently a "version 2.0
    +EDR" with a range of up to 100m. (Which is pretty remarkable for
    something the size of my little finger and with no overt aerial).

    Harddrake spotted it pretty quickly and prompted me to let it install the
    essential software. It's recognised as a Broadcom BCM92045B3 ROM.

    The laptop and phone can 'see' each other (and two other phones nearby);
    all I need now is to work out how to convince them to communicate (or not
    to, as far as the other devices detected are concerned). But my head hurts
    after trying to reconcile the phone's instruction book and the 'Help' that
    comes with the KDE bluetooth tools, and the actual hardware and software.
    I think a good night's sleep and lots of coffee are called for to tackle
    that mountain.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  5. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2008-01-21, sid wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to be able to copy photos from my mobile phone to my Mandriva 2008
    >>> system,
    >>> So ... as I understand the phone's instruction book, it should be able to
    >>> share data with other 'Bluetooth' devices. My question therefore is, has
    >>> anyone got any advice about which bluetooth dongle to get, or avoid, to
    >>> work with Mdv2008? (Preferably not too expensive, and available in the
    >>> UK).

    >> I have a Sitecom dongle. It was the cheapest one I could find and it just
    >> works.

    > [...]
    >
    > The man in my local Maplin had not only heard of Linux, he didn't bat an
    > eyelid when I told him I wanted a bluetooth dongle to work with it. A
    > little clattering of his keyboard and flicking through his paper catalogue
    > and he recommended a 'no-name made in China' little green thing for 9.99
    > (despite the catalogue price of 24.99) which is apparently a "version 2.0
    > +EDR" with a range of up to 100m. (Which is pretty remarkable for
    > something the size of my little finger and with no overt aerial).
    >
    > Harddrake spotted it pretty quickly and prompted me to let it install the
    > essential software. It's recognised as a Broadcom BCM92045B3 ROM.
    >
    > The laptop and phone can 'see' each other (and two other phones nearby);
    > all I need now is to work out how to convince them to communicate (or not
    > to, as far as the other devices detected are concerned). But my head hurts
    > after trying to reconcile the phone's instruction book and the 'Help' that
    > comes with the KDE bluetooth tools, and the actual hardware and software.
    > I think a good night's sleep and lots of coffee are called for to tackle
    > that mountain.

    run as root the script with this stuff in it

    #!/bin/sh
    hcitool cc 00:19:a1:a4:c9:82 &&
    hcitool auth 00:19:a1:a4:c9:82 &&
    ( rfcomm connect 0 00:19:a1:a4:c9:82 16 /dev/null & ) #
    sierial profile, the port amd mac address may need to me moded
    ( rfcomm connect 1 00:19:a1:a4:c9:82 8 /dev/null & ) # modem
    profile
    sleep 2 # give it time to actuley work
    chmod 666 /dev/rfcomm0
    chmod 666 /dev/rfcomm1

  6. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2008-01-21, sid wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to be able to copy photos from my mobile phone to my Mandriva 2008
    >>> system,
    >>> So ... as I understand the phone's instruction book, it should be able to
    >>> share data with other 'Bluetooth' devices. My question therefore is, has
    >>> anyone got any advice about which bluetooth dongle to get, or avoid, to
    >>> work with Mdv2008? (Preferably not too expensive, and available in the
    >>> UK).

    >> I have a Sitecom dongle. It was the cheapest one I could find and it just
    >> works.

    > [...]
    >
    > The man in my local Maplin had not only heard of Linux, he didn't bat an
    > eyelid when I told him I wanted a bluetooth dongle to work with it. A
    > little clattering of his keyboard and flicking through his paper catalogue
    > and he recommended a 'no-name made in China' little green thing for 9.99
    > (despite the catalogue price of 24.99) which is apparently a "version 2.0
    > +EDR" with a range of up to 100m. (Which is pretty remarkable for
    > something the size of my little finger and with no overt aerial).
    >
    > Harddrake spotted it pretty quickly and prompted me to let it install the
    > essential software. It's recognised as a Broadcom BCM92045B3 ROM.
    >
    > The laptop and phone can 'see' each other (and two other phones nearby);
    > all I need now is to work out how to convince them to communicate (or not
    > to, as far as the other devices detected are concerned). But my head hurts
    > after trying to reconcile the phone's instruction book and the 'Help' that
    > comes with the KDE bluetooth tools, and the actual hardware and software.
    > I think a good night's sleep and lots of coffee are called for to tackle
    > that mountain.

    after running the script in the last pose run bitpim to access the
    phones filesystem direstly.

  7. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    On 2008-01-23, chris gareau wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2008-01-21, sid wrote:
    >>> Whiskers wrote:

    snip

    > run as root the script with this stuff in it
    >
    > #!/bin/sh
    > hcitool cc 00:19:a1:a4:c9:82 &&
    > hcitool auth 00:19:a1:a4:c9:82 &&
    > ( rfcomm connect 0 00:19:a1:a4:c9:82 16 /dev/null & ) #
    > sierial profile, the port amd mac address may need to me moded
    > ( rfcomm connect 1 00:19:a1:a4:c9:82 8 /dev/null & ) # modem
    > profile
    > sleep 2 # give it time to actuley work
    > chmod 666 /dev/rfcomm0
    > chmod 666 /dev/rfcomm1

    Sorry for the delay in following up; 'real life' got in the way. I'll get
    back to this soon, I hope.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  8. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    On 2008-01-23, chris gareau wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2008-01-21, sid wrote:
    >>> Whiskers wrote:

    [...]

    > after running the script in the last pose run bitpim to access the
    > phones filesystem direstly.

    I've had another go. Mandriva doesn't seem to include bitpim, but that
    isn't for Nokia phones anyway as far as I can see.

    Messing around and ignoering all 'Help' and instructions, I turned on the
    phone's Bleutooth and when I said 'Yes' to connecting to the laptop the
    phone had detected, the phone asked me for a 'password'. How to set or
    find this password was the chief source of confusion last time so out of
    curiosity I just typed something random into the phone - and was surprised
    to see a dialogue box on the laptop asking me to enter the same password
    as I'd just given the phone. Seems that's the secret; wild guesswork not
    reading the (very confusing and not closely related to the software)
    instructions. KBluetooth fires up Konqueror in a special Bleutooth mode
    and I can now get the photos off the phone, which was the immediate
    concern. Clunky but tolerable. Perhaps I can get the command line to do
    things more smoothly; more exploring.

    Wammu segfaults when I ask it to 'automatically search for phone'. Trying
    to take the 'guided' or 'manual' options has so far resulted in 'failed to
    find phone'. I'm still playing with Xgnokii trying to get that to work.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  9. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2008-01-23, chris gareau wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    >> after running the script in the last pose run bitpim to access the
    >> phones filesystem direstly.

    > I've had another go. Mandriva doesn't seem to include bitpim, but that
    > isn't for Nokia phones anyway as far as I can see.
    >
    > Messing around and ignoering all 'Help' and instructions, I turned on the
    > phone's Bleutooth and when I said 'Yes' to connecting to the laptop the
    > phone had detected, the phone asked me for a 'password'. How to set or
    > find this password was the chief source of confusion last time so out of
    > curiosity I just typed something random into the phone - and was surprised
    > to see a dialogue box on the laptop asking me to enter the same password
    > as I'd just given the phone. Seems that's the secret; wild guesswork not
    > reading the (very confusing and not closely related to the software)
    > instructions. KBluetooth fires up Konqueror in a special Bleutooth mode
    > and I can now get the photos off the phone, which was the immediate
    > concern. Clunky but tolerable. Perhaps I can get the command line to do
    > things more smoothly; more exploring.

    Well, at least you have some success

    > Wammu segfaults when I ask it to 'automatically search for phone'. Trying
    > to take the 'guided' or 'manual' options has so far resulted in 'failed to
    > find phone'. I'm still playing with Xgnokii trying to get that to work.

    I've tried various phone connection programs too, none off which have worked
    for me either
    I came to the conclusion that as long as I can transfer files to and from
    the phone that's about as good as it gets. None of the phone manufacturers
    are interested in Linux as an end user platform.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

  10. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    On 2008-02-18, sid wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    [...]

    > Well, at least you have some success
    >
    >> Wammu segfaults when I ask it to 'automatically search for phone'. Trying
    >> to take the 'guided' or 'manual' options has so far resulted in 'failed to
    >> find phone'. I'm still playing with Xgnokii trying to get that to work.

    > I've tried various phone connection programs too, none off which have worked
    > for me either
    > I came to the conclusion that as long as I can transfer files to and from
    > the phone that's about as good as it gets. None of the phone manufacturers
    > are interested in Linux as an end user platform.

    Sadly not, even though they are ready to use it themselves when it suits
    them; but Linux users aren't easily thwarted, as a group. This page
    looks promising
    (although it's about a different Nokia model and Debian not Mandriva, the
    usage examples of various command-line tools are interesting).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  11. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    On 2008-02-18, Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2008-02-18, sid wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    >> Well, at least you have some success
    >>
    >>> Wammu segfaults when I ask it to 'automatically search for phone'. Trying
    >>> to take the 'guided' or 'manual' options has so far resulted in 'failed to
    >>> find phone'. I'm still playing with Xgnokii trying to get that to work.

    >> I've tried various phone connection programs too, none off which have worked
    >> for me either
    >> I came to the conclusion that as long as I can transfer files to and from
    >> the phone that's about as good as it gets. None of the phone manufacturers
    >> are interested in Linux as an end user platform.

    > Sadly not, even though they are ready to use it themselves when it suits
    > them; but Linux users aren't easily thwarted, as a group. This page
    > looks promising
    > (although it's about a different Nokia model and Debian not Mandriva, the
    > usage examples of various command-line tools are interesting).

    [later]

    I just found this person who has submitted a patch for hal-info to get the
    Nokia 6300 in USB data mode recognised as a music player

    but quite how one applies the patch I don't know.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  12. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:37:33 -0500, Whiskers wrote:

    > I just found this person who has submitted a patch for hal-info to getthe
    > Nokia 6300 in USB data mode recognised as a music player
    >
    > but quite how one applies the patch I don't know.

    Open the file /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-usb-music-players.fdi
    in a text editor that can show the line numbers, such as kate.

    After line 87, which is the line at the end of the three lines with

    true

    paste in the new lines

    storage
    generic
    audio/mpeg
    audio/aac
    audio/x-ms-wma
    audio/x-wav
    music/

    Then run "service haldaemon restart".

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  13. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    On 2008-02-18, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:37:33 -0500, Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> I just found this person who has submitted a patch for hal-info to get the
    >> Nokia 6300 in USB data mode recognised as a music player
    >>
    >> but quite how one applies the patch I don't know.

    > Open the file /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-usb-music-players.fdi
    > in a text editor that can show the line numbers, such as kate.
    >
    > After line 87, which is the line at the end of the three lines with
    >
    > true
    >

    > paste in the new lines
    >
    > storage
    > generic
    > audio/mpeg
    > audio/aac
    > audio/x-ms-wma
    > audio/x-wav
    > music/
    >

    > Then run "service haldaemon restart".
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks )

    I've done that, but still Mandriva refuses to play with the phone via USB.

    I don't think there is a file system inside the phone which Mandriva can
    recognise at all.

    Syslog logs the following when I connect the phone in 'Data Starage' mode,
    but MCC doesn't 'see' a valid disc (which it does if I connect a
    conventional USB 'key drive'):

    Feb 19 16:40:25 tavy kernel: usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 15
    Feb 19 16:40:25 tavy kernel: usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    Feb 19 16:40:25 tavy kernel: scsi5 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    Feb 19 16:40:25 tavy kernel: usb-storage: device found at 15
    Feb 19 16:40:25 tavy kernel: usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: scsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access Nokia Nokia 6300 0000 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] 248321 512-byte hardware sectors (127 MB)
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] 248321 512-byte hardware sectors (127 MB)
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sda:
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: usb-storage: device scan complete
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Sense Key : No Sense [current]
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Add. Sense: No additional sense information
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Sense Key : No Sense [current]
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Add. Sense: No additional sense information
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Sense Key : No Sense [current]
    Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Add. Sense: No additional sense information

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~

  14. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:49:35 -0500, Whiskers wrote:

    > Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
    > Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sda:

    Looks like it doesn't have a recognized partition table, or it would
    have shown sda1, at least, after the sda: above.

    What does sfdisk -l /dev/sda show?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  15. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    On 2008-02-19, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:49:35 -0500, Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
    >> Feb 19 16:40:30 tavy kernel: sda:

    > Looks like it doesn't have a recognized partition table, or it would
    > have shown sda1, at least, after the sda: above.
    >
    > What does sfdisk -l /dev/sda show?
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    [root@tavy mark]# sfdisk -l /dev/sda

    Disk /dev/sda: 1017 cylinders, 4 heads, 61 sectors/track
    Units = cylinders of 124928 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

    Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
    /dev/sda2 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
    /dev/sda3 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
    /dev/sda4 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
    [root@tavy mark]#

    The phone itself, however, is quite convincingly showing me files ...

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:30:22 -0500, Whiskers wrote:

    > The phone itself, however, is quite convincingly showing me files ...

    From what I've found in google, the phone probably uses a filesystem
    called p3nfs. Try installing the p3nfs package from contrib. I'd
    download it and check out the docs, but I'm in the middle of downloading
    updates for both kde3 and kde4 from backports, so urpmi/rpm will be
    tied up for a day or so. I really should switch to dsl.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  17. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    On 2008-02-20, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:30:22 -0500, Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> The phone itself, however, is quite convincingly showing me files ...

    > From what I've found in google, the phone probably uses a filesystem
    > called p3nfs. Try installing the p3nfs package from contrib.

    Interesting. Ask.com found this (among other things)
    <http://www.siltala.net/2006/06/07/mo...le-system-on-l
    inux-with-p3nfs/> when I searched for ; that page
    mentions installing nfsapp on the phone, too. Hmmm, we could be getting
    warmer.

    This seems to be confirmation that the Nokia 6300 does run a version of
    Symbian

    > I'd
    > download it and check out the docs, but I'm in the middle of downloading
    > updates for both kde3 and kde4 from backports, so urpmi/rpm will be
    > tied up for a day or so. I really should switch to dsl.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    No need to experiment on my behalf, unless you want to for your own
    purposes, but thanks ) (and yes, DSL is much nicer than dial-up! - and
    I found it to be cheaper too).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  18. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    On 2008-02-20, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:30:22 -0500, Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> The phone itself, however, is quite convincingly showing me files ...

    > From what I've found in google, the phone probably uses a filesystem
    > called p3nfs. Try installing the p3nfs package from contrib. I'd
    > download it and check out the docs, but I'm in the middle of downloading
    > updates for both kde3 and kde4 from backports, so urpmi/rpm will be
    > tied up for a day or so. I really should switch to dsl.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Web site .

    The Mandriva 2008 i586 RPM for it omits all the binaries intended for
    'installing' on the phone, which is not a good start! I've downloaded
    "nfsapp-5.19-series60.v2.sis for the Nokia 6630, 6680, etc. (Symbian OS >=
    8.0)" direct from the web page to my Linux system and I'll report back when
    I've experimented further. As the Nokia 6300 apparently uses Symbian
    'series 40' this may not be the complete solution yet.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  19. Re: Bluetooth dongle & Nokia 6300

    On 2008-02-20, Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2008-02-20, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:30:22 -0500, Whiskers wrote:
    >>
    >>> The phone itself, however, is quite convincingly showing me files ...

    >> From what I've found in google, the phone probably uses a filesystem
    >> called p3nfs. Try installing the p3nfs package from contrib. I'd
    >> download it and check out the docs, but I'm in the middle of downloading
    >> updates for both kde3 and kde4 from backports, so urpmi/rpm will be
    >> tied up for a day or so. I really should switch to dsl.
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins

    > Web site .
    >
    > The Mandriva 2008 i586 RPM for it omits all the binaries intended for
    > 'installing' on the phone, which is not a good start! I've downloaded
    > "nfsapp-5.19-series60.v2.sis for the Nokia 6630, 6680, etc. (Symbian OS >=
    > 8.0)" direct from the web page to my Linux system and I'll report back when
    > I've experimented further. As the Nokia 6300 apparently uses Symbian
    > 'series 40' this may not be the complete solution yet.

    AAarrrgh!!! Nokia "System 40" isn't a Symbian OS of any sort; it's Nokia
    proprietary and a lot less versatile than Symbian. So the nsfapp program
    doesn't run on it at all - and the file system may not be Symbian-like
    either. (The advantages of 'System 40' are that it's a lot smaller and
    quicker than Symbian System 60).

    The only programs that a user can install are Java-dependent.

    --
    -- Whiskers

+ Reply to Thread