Upgrading to 2008 question - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Upgrading to 2008 question - Mandriva ; I have Mandriva 2007 Powerpack installed working great - all my drivers, wireless, etc working great. I just got the Mandriva 2008 DVD (basic which does not contain the proprietary drivers, etc). If I install the 2008 over my 2007 ...

  1. Upgrading to 2008 question

    I have Mandriva 2007 Powerpack installed working great - all my drivers,
    wireless, etc working great. I just got the Mandriva 2008 DVD (basic
    which does not contain the proprietary drivers, etc).

    If I install the 2008 over my 2007 as an upgrade, will it mess-up my 2007
    drivers (which may not be included in the 2008), my settings, etc?

    mac

  2. Re: Upgrading to 2008 question

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:44:18 -0500, Mac wrote:

    > If I install the 2008 over my 2007 as an upgrade, will it mess-up my 2007
    > drivers (which may not be included in the 2008), my settings, etc?

    Question usually ask by someone without backups.

    And what would happen if half way through upgrade and your hardware
    craps out.

    Since we have no idea of what "drivers" you have in mind, how could we
    possibly give you a correct answer.

    I suggest you breakout about 12 of free space on your system. Format
    it as ext3, boot a rescue cd into the console mode

    mkdir /old /new
    mount -t auto /dev/XdYZ /old
    mount -t auto /dev/XdYZ /new

    cd /old
    cp -a /old/* /new
    cd
    umount /old /new

    (you solve for X [h,s], Y [a,b,c...] & Z [1,2,3..])

    /old is your current install
    /new is you newly formatted partition.

    boot current install

    Modify the /new_partition/etc/fstab to have / set to new partition and
    remove the new partition line.

    Modify your boot loader to allow selection of new addition.
    Boot it and do the upgrade test there.

    --
    The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
    Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

  3. Re: Upgrading to 2008 question

    Thank you ,
    good idea.

    "Bit Twister" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:44:18 -0500, Mac wrote:
    >
    >> If I install the 2008 over my 2007 as an upgrade, will it mess-up my 2007
    >> drivers (which may not be included in the 2008), my settings, etc?

    > Question usually ask by someone without backups.
    >
    > And what would happen if half way through upgrade and your hardware
    > craps out.
    >
    > Since we have no idea of what "drivers" you have in mind, how could we
    > possibly give you a correct answer.
    >
    > I suggest you breakout about 12 of free space on your system. Format
    > it as ext3, boot a rescue cd into the console mode
    >
    > mkdir /old /new
    > mount -t auto /dev/XdYZ /old
    > mount -t auto /dev/XdYZ /new
    >
    > cd /old
    > cp -a /old/* /new
    > cd
    > umount /old /new
    >

    > (you solve for X [h,s], Y [a,b,c...] & Z [1,2,3..])
    >

    > /old is your current install
    > /new is you newly formatted partition.
    >
    > boot current install
    >
    > Modify the /new_partition/etc/fstab to have / set to new partition and
    > remove the new partition line.
    >
    > Modify your boot loader to allow selection of new addition.
    > Boot it and do the upgrade test there.
    >
    > --
    > The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
    > If the above breaks your system, it's yours and you keep both pieces.
    > Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.
    > Do a, man command_here or cat command_here, before using it.

+ Reply to Thread