Know anything about lirc? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Know anything about lirc? - Mandriva ; I woud like to get the remote that came with a Hauppauge Nov-T-500 to work under Mandriva 2008. I installed the software with urpmi lirc lirc-remotes and dowmloaded a suitable lircd.conf from http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/ placing it in /etc. When I checked ...

  1. Know anything about lirc?

    I woud like to get the remote that came with a Hauppauge Nov-T-500 to work
    under Mandriva 2008. I installed the software with urpmi lirc lirc-remotes
    and dowmloaded a suitable lircd.conf from
    http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/ placing it in /etc. When I
    checked 'Services' under the MCC I found entries: lircd and lircmd, both
    at 'stopped'. They wouldn't start. /var/log/messages showed that the system
    had retried both four times. Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Know anything about lirc?

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:58:08 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    > I woud like to get the remote that came with a Hauppauge Nov-T-500 to
    > work under Mandriva 2008. I installed the software with urpmi lirc
    > lirc-remotes and dowmloaded a suitable lircd.conf from
    > http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/ placing it in /etc. When I checked
    > 'Services' under the MCC I found entries: lircd and lircmd, both at
    > 'stopped'. They wouldn't start. /var/log/messages showed that the system
    > had retried both four times. Any suggestions?

    I've use(d) lirc with both a serial and USB IR receivers. I have no clue
    what receiver you have or what application you are trying to use it with.
    Sounds like it's just not finding your receiver. There are many tool apps
    that come with the lirc package including irrecord for recording
    lircd.conf files, irw for testing those files, and some others for lower
    level testing. the very first thing you must do is make sure lircd loads
    the correct driver for your ir receiver device. Once you get that, the
    rest is fairly easy once you know what you're doing. So, which driver
    does your ir receiver device use? Don't know? Suggest you start with this
    search.

    1 - 10 of about 649,000 for hauppauge remote linux (About this page) -
    0.16 sec.
    #
    #
    Nova-T Remote & Linux - Hauppauge UK Forum
    Nova-T Remote & Linux Linux/Third party applications ... The Hauppauge
    remote control works far better on Linux then it does on Windows! ...
    www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=7085 - 89k - Cached

    That or another of the 649,000 entries should get you working.