no more style in some applications - Mandriva

This is a discussion on no more style in some applications - Mandriva ; Hello, I assume I have trashed something in my Mandriva 2008.0 One installation. I do not see any styles in some applications. I can change the style in the control center and the control center itself does change, but Firefox, ...

  1. no more style in some applications

    Hello,

    I assume I have trashed something in my Mandriva 2008.0 One
    installation. I do not see any styles in some applications. I can change
    the style in the control center and the control center itself does
    change, but Firefox, Thunderbird and the Install Software MOdule
    (rpmdrake I think) only show s simple layout that somehow reminds me of
    older windozes.

    I believe that I deleted a library or something that is required here,
    but how do I find out what library?

    Thanks in advance

    Matthias

  2. Re: no more style in some applications

    Matthias Sommer wrote:

    > I believe that I deleted a library or something that is required here,
    > but how do I find out what library?

    At a command line, run
    rpm -Vqa > junk
    grep Unsatis junk
    and see if you come up with any unsatisfied dependencies.

    If so, look in the junk file to find out which ones.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: no more style in some applications

    Jim Beard schrieb:

    > Matthias Sommer wrote:
    >
    >> I believe that I deleted a library or something that is required here,
    >> but how do I find out what library?
    >>

    > At a command line, run
    > rpm -Vqa > junk
    > grep Unsatis junk
    > and see if you come up with any unsatisfied dependencies.
    >
    > If so, look in the junk file to find out which ones.

    Thanks, but this did not help me ahead.
    I discovered that in german localisation it's "fehlend", there are lot's
    of items listed but only documentation from /usr/share/doc.

    Regards
    Matthias

  4. Re: no more style in some applications

    Matthias Sommer wrote:
    > Jim Beard schrieb:
    >
    >> Matthias Sommer wrote:
    >>
    >>> I believe that I deleted a library or something that is required
    >>> here, but how do I find out what library?
    >>>

    >> At a command line, run
    >> rpm -Vqa > junk
    >> grep Unsatis junk
    >> and see if you come up with any unsatisfied dependencies.
    >>
    >> If so, look in the junk file to find out which ones.

    > Thanks, but this did not help me ahead.
    > I discovered that in german localisation it's "fehlend", there are lot's
    > of items listed but only documentation from /usr/share/doc.

    That looks like you have the libraries needed (and this fits with
    being able to change the style in the control center), so you
    are probably missing a stylesheet or config or conf or cfg file
    of some sort for each application that has the problem.

    Firefox and Mozilla both use dom_stylesheets.xpt so you might
    check to see if you have those. Otherwise, I would try
    reconfiguring the application (if possible). Start it from
    a command line, so you can see error messages.

    Otherwise, compare what you have installed with what is on
    the One disk in the bins that hold the applications with
    problems.

    My firefox and thunderbird reside in,
    /usr/lib64/firefox-2.0.0.11/
    /usr/lib64/thunderbird-2.0.0.6/

    If you have backups for your system, you might simply restore
    all but use the command option to not overwrite anything. This
    might not work, as some applications generate a default configuration
    file if one is missing so backup would not get you a good file.
    But, in those cases, you should be able to reconfigure from within
    the application.

    Cheers!

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely