Shorting boot time by not loading unused modules ? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Shorting boot time by not loading unused modules ? - Mandriva ; Hi everyone, during boot time (Mandriva 2008), some modules are loaded, which is time consuming, and I probably cdon t need them... How to not have them loaded ? For instance slmodem or the nvidia modules are not relevant for ...

  1. Shorting boot time by not loading unused modules ?

    Hi everyone,

    during boot time (Mandriva 2008), some modules are loaded, which is time
    consuming,
    and I probably cdon t need them...
    How to not have them loaded ?

    For instance slmodem or the nvidia modules are not relevant for my
    laptop....

    Any hint ?

    Thanks
    Vincent

  2. Re: Shorting boot time by not loading unused modules ?

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:09:57 -0500, Vincent M wrote:

    > during boot time (Mandriva 2008), some modules are loaded, which is time
    > consuming,
    > and I probably cdon t need them...
    > How to not have them loaded ?

    Modules can be compiled into the kernel, or included in the initrd, during
    the kernel compile.

    Excluding the above, the loading of modules at bootup, is controlled by
    configuration files. /etc/modprobe.preload, /etc/modprobe.preload.d/*,
    and by init scripts /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, rc.syslocal, /etc/rc.d/init.d/*.

    Use mcc, select system, Manage services..., and stop, and unselect start
    on bootup, for all of the unneeded services.

    If you have some hardware, that udev/harddrake/haldaemon/whatever, is loading
    modules for, but you don't use that hardware, and don't want the module loaded,
    add it to /etc/modprobe.d/myblacklist. Create the file, similar to blacklist-mdv.