Restricting Mandriva update applet. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Restricting Mandriva update applet. - Mandriva ; I do a lot of swapping between Mandriva and Windows, or I may simply log out for some reason. Every time I log back in, the Mandriva update applet checks the repositories again, first thing, and gets in the way ...

  1. Restricting Mandriva update applet.

    I do a lot of swapping between Mandriva and Windows, or I may simply log out
    for some reason.

    Every time I log back in, the Mandriva update applet checks the repositories
    again, first thing, and gets in the way of anything I want to do myself
    with the Internet connection. It seems to me that once a day should be
    often enough. Can I change this anywhere?

    Doug.

  2. Re: Restricting Mandriva update applet.

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:18:29 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Every time I log back in, the Mandriva update applet checks the repositories
    > again, first thing, and gets in the way of anything I want to do myself
    > with the Internet connection. It seems to me that once a day should be
    > often enough. Can I change this anywhere?

    If you were to do a
    grep applet /var/log/messages you might see something like
    Jan 16 01:29:12 wm80 mdkapplet[26362]: Checking config file: Not present

    So doing a
    locate mdkapplet | grep bin/
    we find /usr/bin/mdkapplet

    Looking through there you might find three lines of code like
    my %config = getVarsFromSh('/etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet');
    $config{UPDATE_FREQUENCY} ||= 3*60*60; # default to 3hours
    $config{FIRST_CHECK_DELAY} ||= 25 * 1000; # default to 25 seconds

    Those 3 lines would suggest that you could create the indicated
    sysconfig file the variables set
    UPDATE_FREQUENCY=
    {FIRST_CHECK_DELAY=
    to whatever you like.

  3. Re: Restricting Mandriva update applet.

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:04:18 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:18:29 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>
    >> Every time I log back in, the Mandriva update applet checks the repositories
    >> again, first thing, and gets in the way of anything I want to do myself
    >> with the Internet connection. It seems to me that once a day should be
    >> often enough. Can I change this anywhere?

    > If you were to do a
    > grep applet /var/log/messages you might see something like
    > Jan 16 01:29:12 wm80 mdkapplet[26362]: Checking config file: Not present
    >
    > So doing a
    > locate mdkapplet | grep bin/
    > we find /usr/bin/mdkapplet
    >
    > Looking through there you might find three lines of code like
    > my %config = getVarsFromSh('/etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet');
    > $config{UPDATE_FREQUENCY} ||= 3*60*60; # default to 3hours
    > $config{FIRST_CHECK_DELAY} ||= 25 * 1000; # default to 25 seconds
    >
    > Those 3 lines would suggest that you could create the indicated
    > sysconfig file the variables set
    > UPDATE_FREQUENCY=
    > {FIRST_CHECK_DELAY=
    > to whatever you like.

    You may want to try putting spaces before/after the equal sign.

  4. Re: Restricting Mandriva update applet.

    On Jan 16, 11:06 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:04:18 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    > > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:18:29 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > >> Every time I log back in, the Mandriva update applet checks the repositories
    > >> again, first thing, and gets in the way of anything I want to do myself
    > >> with the Internet connection. It seems to me that once a day should be
    > >> often enough. Can I change this anywhere?

    > > If you were to do a
    > > grep applet /var/log/messages you might see something like
    > > Jan 16 01:29:12 wm80 mdkapplet[26362]: Checking config file: Not present

    > > So doing a
    > > locate mdkapplet | grep bin/
    > > we find /usr/bin/mdkapplet

    > > Looking through there you might find three lines of code like
    > > my %config = getVarsFromSh('/etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet');
    > > $config{UPDATE_FREQUENCY} ||= 3*60*60; # default to 3hours
    > > $config{FIRST_CHECK_DELAY} ||= 25 * 1000; # default to 25 seconds

    > > Those 3 lines would suggest that you could create the indicated
    > > sysconfig file the variables set
    > > UPDATE_FREQUENCY=
    > > {FIRST_CHECK_DELAY=
    > > to whatever you like.

    > You may want to try putting spaces before/after the equal sign.

    Thanks for this assistance ::
    related post at http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?s=
    22e1fa888ca1238a40b2dd8d7415f9c0&showtopic=48544&pid=361174&start=0&#entry361174

    to re-enable autostart of the mdkapplet i had to
    gedit /root/.MdkOnline/mdkonline and change
    AUTOSTART=FALSE to AUTOSTART=TRUE

    >System >Preferences >Advanced >Session > Mandriva Online Applet

    didn't seem to do the trick.

    Not sure if this is related, but GNOME panel applets (even the volume
    indicator) seem to be problematic sometimes at startup, I get an error
    message giving me the option to delete the applet from my panel. I
    find this happens whether or not I am using 3D effects and regardless
    of my video driver. Any ideas?

  5. Re: Restricting Mandriva update applet.

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 05:17:32 -0800 (PST), iSafari wrote:

    > related post at http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?s=
    > 22e1fa888ca1238a40b2dd8d7415f9c0&showtopic=48544&pid=361174&start=0&#entry361174

    Well, their comments could lead the newbie hacker to modify the code.
    That was not my intent. My suggestion was to add variables and values
    to the configuration file used by the code.
    That way then next update to code does not wipe out your settings.

    If you wanted system wide setting you would create
    /etc/sysconfig/mdkonline and enter
    UPDATE_FREQUENCY=nnnnn
    FIRST_CHECK_DELAY=ffff

    Where nnnn is number of seconds.
    ffff is number of seconds x 1000

    Or each user would need to add those lines to
    $HOME/.MdkOnline/mdkonline

    Note: Just guessing about variable name based a quick glance at code.

    > to re-enable autostart of the mdkapplet i had to
    > gedit /root/.MdkOnline/mdkonline and change
    > AUTOSTART=FALSE to AUTOSTART=TRUE

    Hmmm, /root/.MdkOnline. You should not be running as root unless you
    need root privs to do something.

    Another point, ~/.MdkOnline/mdkonline does not exists on a new install
    or when a new user is created, yet the applet shows up in task bar and
    does run. Guessing you created $HOME/.MdkOnline/mdkonline with
    AUTOSTART=FALSE
    because of someone's post.

    You dinking with /root/.MdkOnline/mdkonline should have no impact with
    MdkOnline update when you log in normally in your user account.

    I hope you are not normally logged in as root. :-(

    >>System >Preferences >Advanced >Session > Mandriva Online Applet

    > didn't seem to do the trick.
    >
    > Not sure if this is related, but GNOME panel applets (even the volume
    > indicator) seem to be problematic sometimes at startup, I get an error
    > message giving me the option to delete the applet from my panel. I
    > find this happens whether or not I am using 3D effects and regardless
    > of my video driver. Any ideas?

    I use KDE as my desktop manager so I can not help with gnome. I have seen
    no complaints in the news group about your problem.

    I wonder if slow sound service startup/access causes your volume complaint.
    Once in a while I will get a KDE popup complaint/retrying about my
    sound server failure. Then again, I am logged in 90% of the time so I
    have no idea about how often it happens.

    I wonder if you have used http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ to set your
    update mirrors and have all updates installed.

    As an Oh, By The Way for any lurkers:

    I was able to get my mdkonline applet back into the task bar by getting
    out of KDE, deleting ~/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositions and
    startx to bring KDE back up. Downside is, I had move all my short cuts back
    where they were on the desktop.

  6. Re: Restricting Mandriva update applet.

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:19:14 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 05:17:32 -0800 (PST), iSafari wrote:
    >
    >> related post at http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?s=
    >> 22e1fa888ca1238a40b2dd8d7415f9c0&showtopic=48544&pid=361174&start=0&#entry361174
    >>

    > Well, their comments could lead the newbie hacker to modify the code.
    > That was not my intent. My suggestion was to add variables and values
    > to the configuration file used by the code.
    > That way then next update to code does not wipe out your settings.
    >
    > If you wanted system wide setting you would create
    > /etc/sysconfig/mdkonline and enter
    > UPDATE_FREQUENCY=nnnn
    > FIRST_CHECK_DELAY=ffff
    >
    > Where nnnn is number of seconds.
    > ffff is number of seconds x 1000
    >
    > Or each user would need to add those lines to
    > $HOME/.MdkOnline/mdkonline

    Found out that $HOME guess is untrue.

    /etc/sysconfig/mdkonline would be the file to create to set your own values.

    > Note: Just guessing about variable name based a quick glance at code.

    OK, I'm through playing around.
    Created a code snippet from /usr/bin/mdkapplet

    Created /etc/sysconfig/mdkonline with
    UPDATE_FREQUENCY=10800
    FIRST_CHECK_DELAY=36000000

    Logged out/in KDE
    mouse over online applet showed a check in 1 hour

+ Reply to Thread