Backup problems using MCC - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Backup problems using MCC - Mandriva ; I am having problems trying to backup my Mandriva 2008 system using the Control Center backup feature. When configuring a backup it insists on using /dev/sg0 as the backup device when my DVD Writer is mounted as /dev/sr0. The device ...

  1. Backup problems using MCC

    I am having problems trying to backup my Mandriva 2008 system using the
    Control Center backup feature. When configuring a backup it insists on
    using /dev/sg0 as the backup device when my DVD Writer is mounted
    as /dev/sr0. The device selection choice reflects only sg0. I have not
    had any luck finding where this could be changed. Any and All help
    appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Don

  2. Re: Backup problems using MCC

    Don Grafton wrote:

    > I am having problems trying to backup my Mandriva 2008 system using
    > the
    > Control Center backup feature. When configuring a backup it insists
    > on using /dev/sg0 as the backup device when my DVD Writer is mounted
    > as /dev/sr0. The device selection choice reflects only sg0. I have
    > not
    > had any luck finding where this could be changed. Any and All help
    > appreciated.

    Are you using the final release version of 2008.0?

    There was a change of heart about using the new ata libraries
    during the release candidate stage.

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  3. Re: Backup problems using MCC

    Peter D. wrote:

    > Are you using the final release version of 2008.0?
    >
    > There was a change of heart about using the new ata libraries
    > during the release candidate stage.

    Yes, I believe this is the latest version direct from the Mandriva site.
    Downloaded Mandriva Linux One - 2008 on 1/11/08 and fully updated since.

  4. Re: Backup problems using MCC

    Don Grafton wrote:

    > Peter D. wrote:
    >
    >> Are you using the final release version of 2008.0?
    >>
    >> There was a change of heart about using the new ata libraries
    >> during the release candidate stage.
    >>

    > Yes, I believe this is the latest version direct from the Mandriva
    > site. Downloaded Mandriva Linux One - 2008 on 1/11/08 and fully
    > updated since.

    Downloaded on the first of November 2008? Or the 11th of
    January? ;-) Just because you downloaded it this year
    does not mean that it is this years file. Do a
    "cat /etc/release".

    The "One" edition and the standard edition should have the
    same internals. "One" is designed to be used as a live CD
    that does not get installed onto the hard drive. (Although
    you can click on "install" if you like it.) So I assume
    that you have "One" in one optical drive and your other
    optical drive is the one that you want to back up to?
    What are you trying to back up? Not the contents of the
    "One" CD, I hope.

    I was assuming that you have an old ata/ide/atapi device
    and that it should appear in drakebackup as /dev/hda, or
    /dev/hdb, or similar. If you have a real scsi device that
    assumption is wrong. I don't know how sata burners are
    supposed to be handled.

    What is in /etc/fstab?

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  5. Re: Backup problems using MCC

    Peter D. wrote:

    > Don Grafton wrote:
    >
    >> Peter D. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are you using the final release version of 2008.0?

    Found a solution as follows:

    After much grief I came across the thread in alt.os.linux.mandriva
    titled "2008:can't write to CD's" which took issue with the use of the
    cdrecord forked adaptation titled "wodin". That led me to the original
    package "cdtools" from Joerg Schilling and the discussion on whether or not
    the license was equivalent to the GPL license. Who cares, the problem is
    that the Wodin package does not perform on this installation.

    So I downloaded the cdrtools package, extracted all files
    to /user/src/cdrtools--- and ran make and make install which created
    the /opt/schily and sub-folders.

    Now I went into /usr/bin as root and renamed bteflash to bteflash-old (CMA)
    and created a link to /opt/schily/bin/bteflash named bteflash. Did the
    same with cdrecord, mkisofs, readcd. Then I added links in /usr/bin to the
    rest of the binary executables in /opt/schily/bin.

    Now I could get k3b to write to both CDs and DVDs. So I tried the MCC
    backup utility again and got errors. Seached the logs and found that it
    was still trying to use wodim. Then I renamed /usr/bin/wodim to wodim-old
    and created a link to /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord named wodim. Then I had to
    rename /dev/sg0 to sg0-old and link sr0 to sg0 since backup would not
    accept any other device. Tried the backup again and it WORKS!

    Hope this helps some.
    Don Grafton

+ Reply to Thread