Seeing My Camera - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Seeing My Camera - Mandriva ; I've had a Fuji camera for a couple years. With its xD and CF cards, my system sees it fine; it shows up under /mnt. I just bought a new Fuji cam. I moved the xD card from my old ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. Seeing My Camera

    I've had a Fuji camera for a couple years. With its xD and CF cards, my
    system sees it fine; it shows up under /mnt.

    I just bought a new Fuji cam. I moved the xD card from my old camera to
    the new one.

    It does not show up under /mnt.

    BUT usbview shows it.

    AND I can access it with Konqueror:

    camera://USB PTP Class Camera@[usb:006,011]/store_10000001/DCIM/999_FUJI

    What the heck?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  2. Re: Seeing My Camera

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > I've had a Fuji camera for a couple years. With its xD and CF cards, my
    > system sees it fine; it shows up under /mnt.
    >
    > I just bought a new Fuji cam. I moved the xD card from my old camera to
    > the new one.
    >
    > It does not show up under /mnt.
    >

    > BUT usbview shows it.
    >
    > AND I can access it with Konqueror:
    >
    > camera://USB PTP Class Camera@[usb:006,011]/store_10000001/DCIM/999_FUJI
    >
    > What the heck?

    Is there a setting on your camera to change the communication method from
    PTP to usb?

    You'd find that you can also access it in PTP mode from the import function
    in programs like Gthumb or Digikam and the like.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

  3. Re: Seeing My Camera

    sid wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >

    >> I've had a Fuji camera for a couple years. With its xD and CF cards, my
    >> system sees it fine; it shows up under /mnt.
    >>
    >> I just bought a new Fuji cam. I moved the xD card from my old camera to
    >> the new one.
    >>
    >> It does not show up under /mnt.
    >>

    >> BUT usbview shows it.
    >>
    >> AND I can access it with Konqueror:
    >>
    >> camera://USB PTP Class Camera@[usb:006,011]/store_10000001/DCIM/999_FUJI
    >>
    >> What the heck?
    >>

    > Is there a setting on your camera to change the communication method from
    > PTP to usb?

    I don't know, but the display shows "USB" when I have the USB cable
    plugged into it.

    And, as I said, usbview shows it.

    > You'd find that you can also access it in PTP mode from the import
    > function in programs like Gthumb or Digikam and the like.

    I use gview and the gimp. I can look around for this.

    But I'd like to simply find it under /mnt. Again -- if usbview sees it
    and Konq can find it, why is it not showing up?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  4. Re: Seeing My Camera

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:40:38 -0500, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > But I'd like to simply find it under /mnt. Again -- if usbview sees it
    > and Konq can find it, why is it not showing up?

    If you are referring to automounting, via the haldaemon,
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...0da547ee3c872?
    may help, in particular, the part about getting my usb drive to mount.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Seeing My Camera

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:40:38 -0500, Blinky the Shark
    > wrote:
    >
    >> But I'd like to simply find it under /mnt. Again -- if usbview sees it
    >> and Konq can find it, why is it not showing up?

    > If you are referring to automounting, via the haldaemon,
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...0da547ee3c872?
    > may help, in particular, the part about getting my usb drive to mount.

    All other USB devices automount -- and so does that xD card if it's in
    my other camera (or a card reader). I think I will not screw around
    with stuff the way that message suggests; i.e., f it's 99% working, I'm
    not going to break everything else trying to fix 1%. Thanks, though.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  6. Re: Seeing My Camera

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > sid wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a setting on your camera to change the communication method from
    >> PTP to usb?

    > I don't know, but the display shows "USB" when I have the USB cable
    > plugged into it.
    >
    > And, as I said, usbview shows it.
    >
    >> You'd find that you can also access it in PTP mode from the import
    >> function in programs like Gthumb or Digikam and the like.

    > I use gview and the gimp. I can look around for this.
    >
    > But I'd like to simply find it under /mnt. Again -- if usbview sees it
    > and Konq can find it, why is it not showing up?

    Cameras act in one of two ways. They either communicate by acting as a mass
    storage device or they communicate using PTP, picture transfer protocol.
    Which they use determines how you can access it. Like I said, some cameras
    have a setting somewhere to change the way they communicate.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

  7. Re: Seeing My Camera

    sid wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> sid wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a setting on your camera to change the communication method
    >>> from PTP to usb?

    >> I don't know, but the display shows "USB" when I have the USB cable
    >> plugged into it.
    >>
    >> And, as I said, usbview shows it.
    >>
    >>> You'd find that you can also access it in PTP mode from the import
    >>> function in programs like Gthumb or Digikam and the like.

    >> I use gview and the gimp. I can look around for this.
    >>
    >> But I'd like to simply find it under /mnt. Again -- if usbview sees it
    >> and Konq can find it, why is it not showing up?

    > Cameras act in one of two ways. They either communicate by acting as a
    > mass storage device or they communicate using PTP, picture transfer
    > protocol. Which they use determines how you can access it. Like I said,
    > some cameras have a setting somewhere to change the way they communicate.

    And like I said, usbview does see it.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  8. Re: Seeing My Camera

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > I just bought a new Fuji cam. I moved the xD card from my old camera to
    > the new one.
    >
    > It does not show up under /mnt.
    > BUT usbview shows it.
    > AND I can access it with Konqueror:
    > camera://USB PTP Class Camera@[usb:006,011]/store_10000001/DCIM/999_FUJI
    >
    > What the heck?

    On my system, cdrom and floppy that used to be under /mnt
    are now under /media. Did you look there?

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  9. Re: Seeing My Camera

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> I just bought a new Fuji cam. I moved the xD card from my old camera to
    >> the new one.
    >>
    >> It does not show up under /mnt.
    >> BUT usbview shows it.
    >> AND I can access it with Konqueror:
    >> camera://USB PTP Class Camera@[usb:006,011]/store_10000001/DCIM/999_FUJI
    >>
    >> What the heck?

    > On my system, cdrom and floppy that used to be under /mnt are now under
    > /media. Did you look there?

    I've never had a /media directory with Mandr*; and cdrom, floppy, and any
    removable media are mounted under /mnt, as they always have been. I think
    I've seen a /media directory on my disliked-and-thus-rarely-use SUSE boot
    on another box.

    While it's still puzzling, I have a workaround. KDE's digiKam sees the
    camera and I can use that as an intermediary between it and The GIMP.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  10. Re: Seeing My Camera

    Jim Beard writes:

    >Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> I just bought a new Fuji cam. I moved the xD card from my old camera to
    >> the new one.
    >>
    >> It does not show up under /mnt.
    >> BUT usbview shows it.
    >> AND I can access it with Konqueror:
    >> camera://USB PTP Class Camera@[usb:006,011]/store_10000001/DCIM/999_FUJI
    >>
    >> What the heck?

    >On my system, cdrom and floppy that used to be under /mnt
    >are now under /media. Did you look there?

    You would be far better off buying a cheap usb XD card reader. It is much
    faster than downloading from the camera, does not require camera power.

    >jim b.

    >--
    >UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    > expects users to be computer-friendly.

  11. Re: Seeing My Camera

    Blinky the Shark writes:

    >Jim Beard wrote:

    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> I just bought a new Fuji cam. I moved the xD card from my old camera to
    >>> the new one.
    >>>
    >>> It does not show up under /mnt.
    >>> BUT usbview shows it.
    >>> AND I can access it with Konqueror:
    >>> camera://USB PTP Class Camera@[usb:006,011]/store_10000001/DCIM/999_FUJI
    >>>
    >>> What the heck?

    >> On my system, cdrom and floppy that used to be under /mnt are now under
    >> /media. Did you look there?

    >I've never had a /media directory with Mandr*; and cdrom, floppy, and any
    >removable media are mounted under /mnt, as they always have been. I think
    >I've seen a /media directory on my disliked-and-thus-rarely-use SUSE boot
    >on another box.

    mandriva got /media under 2007.1 and certainly in 2008

    >While it's still puzzling, I have a workaround. KDE's digiKam sees the
    >camera and I can use that as an intermediary between it and The GIMP.

    >--
    >Blinky
    >Killing all posts from Google Groups
    >The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
    >Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  12. Re: Seeing My Camera

    Unruh wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark writes:
    >
    >>Jim Beard wrote:

    >>> On my system, cdrom and floppy that used to be under /mnt are now under
    >>> /media. Did you look there?

    >>I've never had a /media directory with Mandr*; and cdrom, floppy, and any
    >>removable media are mounted under /mnt, as they always have been. I
    >>think I've seen a /media directory on my disliked-and-thus-rarely-use
    >>SUSE boot on another box.

    > mandriva got /media under 2007.1 and certainly in 2008

    Which doesn't mean I did.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  13. Re: Seeing My Camera

    Unruh wrote:

    > Jim Beard writes:
    >
    >>Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> I just bought a new Fuji cam. I moved the xD card from my old camera
    >>> to the new one.
    >>>
    >>> It does not show up under /mnt.
    >>> BUT usbview shows it.
    >>> AND I can access it with Konqueror:
    >>> camera://USB PTP Class
    >>> Camera@[usb:006,011]/store_10000001/DCIM/999_FUJI
    >>>
    >>> What the heck?

    >>On my system, cdrom and floppy that used to be under /mnt are now under
    >>/media. Did you look there?

    > You would be far better off buying a cheap usb XD card reader. It is much
    > faster than downloading from the camera, does not require camera power.

    If you're talking to me, and not the person you responded to, I have one.
    I've had one for years. Before I found the workaround with digiKam
    that I mentioned, I'd been using it with this new camera. But I'd rather
    plug in the camera than have to pull the card every time I want to move a
    photo. That USB connector/cable that lies next to my box for camera
    downloading (formerly for my other camera, now for both) is just too
    convenient to circumvent by farting around with the card and card reader.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  14. Re: Seeing My Camera

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:59:04 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > sid wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> I don't know, but the display shows "USB" when I have the USB cable
    >>> plugged into it.
    >>>
    >>> And, as I said, usbview shows it.

    >>> I use gview and the gimp. I can look around for this.
    >>>
    >>> But I'd like to simply find it under /mnt. Again -- if usbview sees
    >>> it and Konq can find it, why is it not showing up?

    >> Cameras act in one of two ways. They either communicate by acting as a
    >> mass storage device or they communicate using PTP, picture transfer
    >> protocol. Which they use determines how you can access it. Like I said,
    >> some cameras have a setting somewhere to change the way they
    >> communicate.

    > And like I said, usbview does see it.

    Look under /Media

  15. Re: Seeing My Camera

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> I use gview and the gimp. I can look around for this.
    >>>
    >>> But I'd like to simply find it under /mnt. Again -- if usbview sees it
    >>> and Konq can find it, why is it not showing up?

    >> Cameras act in one of two ways. They either communicate by acting as a
    >> mass storage device or they communicate using PTP, picture transfer
    >> protocol. Which they use determines how you can access it. Like I said,
    >> some cameras have a setting somewhere to change the way they communicate.

    > And like I said, usbview does see it.

    Well of course usbview sees it seeing as you plug it into a usb port. That
    doesn't mean jack if your camera does not or can not be set to act as a
    mass storage device. I plug all sorts of things into usb ports and usbview
    sees them, but I'm buggered if I can get my mouse/scanner/printer/graphics
    tablet etc to act as a mass storage device and show up under /mnt.

    If your camera only supports PTP then that's what your going to have to live
    with unless you want to use your card reader. And seeing as you've already
    said you don't want to use your card reader you'll have to live with the
    cameras behaviour.
    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

  16. Re: Seeing My Camera

    Philip Jones wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:59:04 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> sid wrote:

    >>> Cameras act in one of two ways. They either communicate by acting as a
    >>> mass storage device or they communicate using PTP, picture transfer
    >>> protocol. Which they use determines how you can access it. Like I said,
    >>> some cameras have a setting somewhere to change the way they
    >>> communicate.

    >> And like I said, usbview does see it.

    > Look under /Media

    As stated, I have no such directory. Mdk 2006.

    (I know where to look for removables, and it's /mnt. )

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  17. Re: Seeing My Camera

    sid wrote:

    >>> Cameras act in one of two ways. They either communicate by acting as a
    >>> mass storage device or they communicate using PTP, picture transfer
    >>> protocol. Which they use determines how you can access it. Like I said,
    >>> some cameras have a setting somewhere to change the way they
    >>> communicate.

    >> And like I said, usbview does see it.

    > Well of course usbview sees it seeing as you plug it into a usb port. That
    > doesn't mean jack if your camera does not or can not be set to act as a
    > mass storage device. I plug all sorts of things into usb ports and usbview
    > sees them, but I'm buggered if I can get my mouse/scanner/printer/graphics
    > tablet etc to act as a mass storage device and show up under /mnt.
    >
    > If your camera only supports PTP then that's what your going to have to
    > live with unless you want to use your card reader. And seeing as you've

    Really? As I said from the beginning of the thread, some programs see the
    camera despite my file manager not showing it under /mnt. So I guess I
    really won't have to live with using a card reader, eh?

    > already said you don't want to use your card reader you'll have to live
    > with the cameras behaviour.

    PS: The camera behaves normally enough (plug it in and it shows up on file
    manager) on my Win laptop.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  18. Re: Seeing My Camera

    Blinky the Shark writes:

    >Philip Jones wrote:

    >>> And like I said, usbview does see it.

    >> Look under /Media

    >As stated, I have no such directory. Mdk 2006.

    Ah. Now he tells us what version of Mandriva he uses. No, 2006 did not have
    /media.
    However, the usb rules probably do not have your new camera listed either,
    so the system has no idea what to do with your usb dongle.

    >(I know where to look for removables, and it's /mnt. )

  19. Re: Seeing My Camera

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> If your camera only supports PTP then that's what your going to have to
    >> live with unless you want to use your card reader. And seeing as you've

    > Really? As I said from the beginning of the thread, some programs see the
    > camera

    Yes, they are the programs that can use PTP.

    > despite my file manager not showing it under /mnt. So I guess I
    > really won't have to live with using a card reader, eh?

    Depends whether you want to see the camera under /mnt or not doesn't it? I
    thought that was what you wanted.

    >> already said you don't want to use your card reader you'll have to live
    >> with the cameras behaviour.

    > PS: The camera behaves normally enough (plug it in and it shows up on file
    > manager) on my Win laptop.

    And since when did windows behaviour bear any resemblance to linux
    behaviour
    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

  20. Re: Seeing My Camera

    Unruh wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark writes:
    >
    >>Philip Jones wrote:

    >>> Look under /Media

    >>As stated, I have no such directory. Mdk 2006.

    > Ah. Now he tells us what version of Mandriva he uses. No, 2006 did not
    > have /media.
    > However, the usb rules probably do not have your new camera listed either,
    > so the system has no idea what to do with your usb dongle.

    How does the digiKam program, which came with my copy of Mandriva two
    years ago find the camera if it's not mounted?