Connexion problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Connexion problem - Mandriva ; Hi, i decide to try some desktop prensent in MDV2008.0 i'm trying KDE4, XFCE4 and i wanted to try IceWM. unfortunately, i didn't connect with my login with IceWM (i had a blue screen and when MDV try to connect ...

  1. Connexion problem

    Hi,

    i decide to try some desktop prensent in MDV2008.0

    i'm trying KDE4, XFCE4 and i wanted to try IceWM. unfortunately, i
    didn't connect with my login with IceWM (i had a blue screen and when
    MDV try to connect but it never disapearred). when i restart computer,
    by default MDV go directly to the last desktop "opened" and i can't
    retrieve the login screen to choose another Desktop.
    Could you help me to retrieve this screen or to connect to KDE3.5

    Thanks in advance

    Alex

  2. Re: Connexion problem

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:00:04 +0100, Alex wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > i decide to try some desktop prensent in MDV2008.0
    >
    > i'm trying KDE4, XFCE4 and i wanted to try IceWM. unfortunately, i
    > didn't connect with my login with IceWM (i had a blue screen and when
    > MDV try to connect but it never disapearred). when i restart computer,
    > by default MDV go directly to the last desktop "opened" and i can't
    > retrieve the login screen to choose another Desktop.

    Yep, having runlevel 5 (gui auto start) set gets you into that ditch.
    I suggest setting id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault: in /etc/inittab

    When system boots, you will be at the command line.
    To start gui you would do a
    startx IceWM
    startx KDE
    startx GNOME
    to pick a desktop manager. I just enter startx and kde comes up.

    > Could you help me to retrieve this screen or to connect to KDE3.5

    I would think you have a boot selection called failsafe. You can boot
    that one and modify /etc/inittab to start at runlevel 3.

    I keep a knoppix cd around for a GUI rescue cd.
    You can boot the mandriva cd/dvd in the rescue mode if none of the
    above work to change inittab.

  3. Re: Connexion problem

    Bit Twister writes:

    >On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:00:04 +0100, Alex wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> i decide to try some desktop prensent in MDV2008.0
    >>
    >> i'm trying KDE4, XFCE4 and i wanted to try IceWM. unfortunately, i
    >> didn't connect with my login with IceWM (i had a blue screen and when
    >> MDV try to connect but it never disapearred). when i restart computer,
    >> by default MDV go directly to the last desktop "opened" and i can't
    >> retrieve the login screen to choose another Desktop.

    >Yep, having runlevel 5 (gui auto start) set gets you into that ditch.
    >I suggest setting id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault: in /etc/inittab

    >When system boots, you will be at the command line.
    >To start gui you would do a
    > startx IceWM
    > startx KDE
    > startx GNOME
    >to pick a desktop manager. I just enter startx and kde comes up.

    >> Could you help me to retrieve this screen or to connect to KDE3.5

    >I would think you have a boot selection called failsafe. You can boot
    >that one and modify /etc/inittab to start at runlevel 3.

    >I keep a knoppix cd around for a GUI rescue cd.
    >You can boot the mandriva cd/dvd in the rescue mode if none of the
    >above work to change inittab.

    Or do alt-ctrl-F2 and you will probably get a terminal. Log in as root and
    edit /etc/inittab. Then either reboot, or try init 3

  4. Re: Connexion problem (resolved)

    Bit Twister a écrit :
    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:00:04 +0100, Alex wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> i decide to try some desktop prensent in MDV2008.0
    >>
    >> i'm trying KDE4, XFCE4 and i wanted to try IceWM. unfortunately, i
    >> didn't connect with my login with IceWM (i had a blue screen and when
    >> MDV try to connect but it never disapearred). when i restart computer,
    >> by default MDV go directly to the last desktop "opened" and i can't
    >> retrieve the login screen to choose another Desktop.

    > Yep, having runlevel 5 (gui auto start) set gets you into that ditch.
    > I suggest setting id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault: in /etc/inittab
    >
    > When system boots, you will be at the command line.
    > To start gui you would do a
    > startx IceWM
    > startx KDE
    > startx GNOME
    > to pick a desktop manager. I just enter startx and kde comes up.
    >

    >> Could you help me to retrieve this screen or to connect to KDE3.5

    > I would think you have a boot selection called failsafe. You can boot
    > that one and modify /etc/inittab to start at runlevel 3.
    >
    > I keep a knoppix cd around for a GUI rescue cd.
    > You can boot the mandriva cd/dvd in the rescue mode if none of the
    > above work to change inittab.

    i change id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault: in /etc/inittab
    i restart
    startx KDE and it's run !!!

    Thank you for your help

    Alex