prelink, ldd fail to find dependencies: vmware virtualbox - Mandriva

This is a discussion on prelink, ldd fail to find dependencies: vmware virtualbox - Mandriva ; Recent informatoin from Dave Hodgins inspired me to start using prelink, ldd, and ldconfig (Thanks Dave), but I am finding a few things I do not understand or know how to fix. Examples below are from vmware and virtualbox, where ...

  1. prelink, ldd fail to find dependencies: vmware virtualbox

    Recent informatoin from Dave Hodgins inspired me
    to start using prelink, ldd, and ldconfig (Thanks
    Dave), but I am finding a few things I do not
    understand or know how to fix.

    Examples below are from vmware and virtualbox, where
    prelink and ldd cannot find dependencies that were
    installed as part of these packages. In some cases,
    these things are in the directory tree below the
    top install directory, but in others the library needed
    was installed in /usr/lib64 or some other "standard"
    library location that should be found.

    Any ideas what is happening? What I need to do to
    straighten it out?

    prelink: /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-acetool: Could not find one of
    the dependencies
    # ldd /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-acetool |grep found
    libvmwarebase.so.0 => not found
    # locate libvmwarebase.so.0
    /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0
    /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0/libvmwarebase.so.0

    prelink: /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmplayer: Could not find one of the
    dependencies
    # ldd /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmplayer |grep found
    libview.so.2 => not found
    libvmwarebase.so.0 => not found
    libvmwareui.so.0 => not found
    # locate libview.so.2 libvmwarebase.so.0 libvmwareui.so.0
    /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libview.so.2
    /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0
    /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwareui.so.0
    /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libview.so.2/libview.so.2
    /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0/libvmwarebase.so.0
    /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwareui.so.0/libvmwareui.so.0

    prelink: /usr/lib/vmware/bin-stats/vmware-vmx: Could not find one of
    the dependencies
    # ldd /usr/lib/vmware/bin-stats/vmware-vmx |grep found
    libXtst.so.6 => not found
    # locate libXtst.so.6
    /usr/lib64/libXtst.so.6
    /usr/lib64/libXtst.so.6.1.0

    prelink: /usr/lib64/virtualbox/SUPUninstall: Could not find one of
    the dependencies
    # ldd /usr/lib64/virtualbox/SUPUninstall |grep found
    VBoxRT.so => not found
    # locate VBoxRT.so
    /usr/lib64/virtualbox/VBoxRT.so

    prelink: /usr/lib64/virtualbox/SUPInstall: Could not find one of the
    dependencies
    # ldd /usr/lib64/virtualbox/SUPInstall |grep found
    VBoxRT.so => not found
    # locate VBoxRT.so
    /usr/lib64/virtualbox/VBoxRT.so

    prelink: /usr/lib64/virtualbox/VBoxBFE: Could not find one of the
    dependencies
    # ldd /usr/lib64/virtualbox/VBoxBFE |grep found
    VBoxRT.so => not found
    VBoxVMM.so => not found
    # locate VBoxRT.so VBoxVMM.so
    /usr/lib64/virtualbox/VBoxRT.so
    /usr/lib64/virtualbox/VBoxVMM.so

    /* Six other virtualbox dependencies not found omitted */

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  2. Re: prelink, ldd fail to find dependencies: vmware virtualbox

    Jim Beard writes:

    > Recent informatoin from Dave Hodgins inspired me
    > to start using prelink, ldd, and ldconfig (Thanks
    > Dave), but I am finding a few things I do not
    > understand or know how to fix.
    >
    > Examples below are from vmware and virtualbox, where
    > prelink and ldd cannot find dependencies that were
    > installed as part of these packages. In some cases,
    > these things are in the directory tree below the
    > top install directory, but in others the library needed
    > was installed in /usr/lib64 or some other "standard"
    > library location that should be found.
    >
    > Any ideas what is happening? What I need to do to
    > straighten it out?

    I think you are talking about the thread started by crashdamage?

    In the same thread Virtualbox and vmware were identified
    as 2 of the applications that set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

    Both these applications use scripts to start up.
    If you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH the same way these scripts
    do then ldd will work.

  3. Re: prelink, ldd fail to find dependencies: vmware virtualbox

    Dan Espen wrote:
    > Jim Beard writes:

    >> Examples below are from vmware and virtualbox, where
    >> prelink and ldd cannot find dependencies that were
    >> installed as part of these packages. In some cases,
    >> these things are in the directory tree below the
    >> top install directory, but in others the library needed
    >> was installed in /usr/lib64 or some other "standard"
    >> library location that should be found.

    > Both these applications use scripts to start up.
    > If you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH the same way these scripts
    > do then ldd will work.

    Thanks for the info. I had looked in the scripts that
    reside in /usr/bin, in the script in init.d, and in
    everything in and below /etc for something that set
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH for them, and found nothing.

    set |grep LIBRARY turned up nothing at all.

    But when I continued on to look in and below the install
    directories for vmware and VirtualBox, I found therein
    scripts that did set the library path. Problem
    solved.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --