Problems in browsing in opera - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Problems in browsing in opera - Mandriva ; I have a problem browsing with opera which started when I upgraded from Mandriva 2007. I cannot access any pages on the web at all. The web can be accessed normally using other browsers such as Firefox or Konqueror. My ...

  1. Problems in browsing in opera

    I have a problem browsing with opera which started when I upgraded from
    Mandriva 2007.

    I cannot access any pages on the web at all. The web can be accessed
    normally using other browsers such as Firefox or Konqueror. My email
    program and newsreader also work OK, so I would appear that my internet
    connection is OK.

    I am now running "Mandriva Linux release 2008.0 (Official) for i586"

    The browser shows:

    Error!
    Network problem

    You tried to access the address http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page,
    which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address
    (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.
    Make sure your Internet connection is active and check whether other
    applications that rely on the same connection are working.
    Check that the setup of any Internet security software is correct and
    does not interfere with ordinary Web browsing.
    If you are behind a firewall on a Local Area Network and think this may
    be causing problems, talk to your systems administrator.
    Try pressing the F12 key on your keyboard and disabling proxy servers,
    unless you know that you are required to use a proxy to connect to the
    Internet. Reload the page

    Running opera -debugdns and trying to connect to Wikipedia gives the
    following output:

    dns: Resolving 'en.wikipedia.org'
    dns: Trying IPv6 lookup for host 'en.wikipedia.org'...
    dns: Thread created
    dns: gethostbyname failed with return value 34 (Numerical result out of
    range). hostent pointernil)
    dns: Trying IPv4 lookup for host 'en.wikipedia.org'...
    dns: gethostbyname failed with return value 34 (Numerical result out of
    range). hostent pointernil)
    dns: Resolving 'en.wikipedia.org'
    dns: Trying IPv6 lookup for host 'en.wikipedia.org'...
    dns: gethostbyname failed with return value 34 (Numerical result out of
    range). hostent pointernil)
    dns: Trying IPv4 lookup for host 'en.wikipedia.org'...
    dns: gethostbyname failed with return value 34 (Numerical result out of
    range). hostent pointernil)
    dns: Thread created

    The contents of /etc/modules.conf is:

    alias net-pf-10 off

    The contents of /etc/modprobe.conf is:

    alias eth0 sis900
    alias sound-slot-0 snd_intel8x0
    alias net-pf-10 off
    install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe usb_storage; /bin/true
    remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe
    --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
    install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
    snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
    install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ohci_hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd;
    /bin/true
    alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
    blacklist audio
    blacklist snd-usb-audio
    install ide-controller /sbin/modprobe sis5513; /bin/true

    The contents of /etc/resolv.conf is:

    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
    # resolvconf(8)
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 192.168.1.254
    search home

    The primary DNS (as shown by my router) is 194.72.0.114

    Any ideas on how to correct this problem?

    --
    Chris

    Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute,
    but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  2. Re: Problems in browsing in opera

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:15:13 +0000, Chris Slade wrote:

    > I have a problem browsing with opera which started when I upgraded from
    > Mandriva 2007.
    >
    > I cannot access any pages on the web at all. The web can be accessed
    > normally using other browsers such as Firefox or Konqueror. My email
    > program and newsreader also work OK, so I would appear that my internet
    > connection is OK.

    Why not just use firefox as it works? I can't see any real problem.
    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

  3. Re: Problems in browsing in opera

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:15:13 -0500, Chris Slade wrote:

    > I have a problem browsing with opera which started when I upgraded from
    > Mandriva 2007.

    If the network access is working for other browsers, then it has to be
    an opera related problem.

    Which version of opera?

    You can try "opera -pd ~/testopera", to see if it's a problem with the
    settings in any of the .opera/*.ini files.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Problems in browsing in opera

    On 2008-01-11, Chris Slade wrote:
    > I have a problem browsing with opera which started when I upgraded from
    > Mandriva 2007.
    >
    > I cannot access any pages on the web at all. The web can be accessed
    > normally using other browsers such as Firefox or Konqueror. My email
    > program and newsreader also work OK, so I would appear that my internet
    > connection is OK.
    >
    > I am now running "Mandriva Linux release 2008.0 (Official) for i586"

    [...]

    > The contents of /etc/resolv.conf is:
    >
    > # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
    > # resolvconf(8)
    > # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    > nameserver 192.168.1.254
    > search home

    That nameserver address would be a machine on your local network if there
    is one with that IP number. If there isn't a nameserver there, I'd be
    wondering how any of your programs are finding anything.

    On my Mdv2008 system, when setting up the network connections, I selected
    'Get DNS servers from DHCP' and my resolve.conf contains the primary and
    secondary DNS servers that the router has been set up to provide. The
    alternative is to unselect that option and enter the DNS server IP numbers
    you want to use.

    > The primary DNS (as shown by my router) is 194.72.0.114

    That seems to belong to BT.net

    > Any ideas on how to correct this problem?

    Edit the network connection in 'Configure your computer - Network and
    Internet - Set up a new network interface' to either 'Get ... from DHCP'
    or with the IP numbers of your preferred DNS servers.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  5. Re: Problems in browsing in opera

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:15:13 +0000, Chris Slade wrote:

    > I have a problem browsing with opera which started when I upgraded from
    > Mandriva 2007.

    That's because Opera sucks dick, big time.

    Use a real browser. I'd suggest Firefox, or Seamonkey.

  6. Re: Problems in browsing in opera

    On 2008-01-11, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:15:13 -0500, Chris Slade wrote:
    >
    >> I have a problem browsing with opera which started when I upgraded from
    >> Mandriva 2007.

    > Which version of opera?

    Version information
    Version 9.25
    Build 687
    Platform Linux
    System i686, 2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv
    Qt library 3.3.8
    Java Java Runtime Environment installed

    Browser identification
    Opera/9.25 (X11; Linux i686; U; en)

    > You can try "opera -pd ~/testopera", to see if it's a problem with the
    > settings in any of the .opera/*.ini files.

    I tried that. I got the same network problem message as before, and
    there were no errors on the console.
    --
    Chris

    Running Windows on a Pentium is like having a brand new Porsche
    but only be able to drive backwards with the handbrake on.

  7. Re: Problems in browsing in opera

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 03:11:07 -0500, Chris Slade wrote:

    > I tried that. I got the same network problem message as before, and
    > there were no errors on the console.

    While the "alias net-pf-10 off" should be disabling the ipv6, check
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and ensure you have
    IPV6INIT=no
    IPV6TO4INIT=no
    Replace eth0, with the correct nic id. See if that makes any difference..

    Regards, Dave Hodgins