Problem setting up printer on laptop - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Problem setting up printer on laptop - Mandriva ; (Running 64-bit 2008.0PP on laptop) Now I've got Linux on the laptop I am just getting round to configuring the printer so the laptop can (wirelessly) print on (linux) desktop's HP5150. (Had Windows-Windows equivalent running months ago.) Went into MCC/Hardware/Manage ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

  1. Problem setting up printer on laptop

    (Running 64-bit 2008.0PP on laptop)

    Now I've got Linux on the laptop I am just getting round to
    configuring the printer so the laptop can (wirelessly) print on
    (linux) desktop's HP5150.

    (Had Windows-Windows equivalent running months ago.)

    Went into MCC/Hardware/Manage Printers: little window came up:

    Printerdrak "Setting default printer" - but it just hung there
    - no apparent activity anywhere, and finally disappeared after
    about m ninutes.

    So went into Konqueror to do 'localhost:631', but got msg:

    "An error occurred while loading HTTP://localhost:631:
    Could not connect to host localhost (port 631)."

    (/etc/hosts has "127.0.0.1 localhost". Can ping 127.0.0.1.)

    Not come across this sort of behaviour on desktop!

    What on earth could be wrong here?

    --
    /\/\aurice

  2. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    Maurice Batey writes:

    >(Running 64-bit 2008.0PP on laptop)

    >Now I've got Linux on the laptop I am just getting round to
    >configuring the printer so the laptop can (wirelessly) print on
    >(linux) desktop's HP5150.

    >(Had Windows-Windows equivalent running months ago.)

    >Went into MCC/Hardware/Manage Printers: little window came up:

    > Printerdrak "Setting default printer" - but it just hung there
    >- no apparent activity anywhere, and finally disappeared after
    >about m ninutes.

    >So went into Konqueror to do 'localhost:631', but got msg:

    > "An error occurred while loading HTTP://localhost:631:
    > Could not connect to host localhost (port 631)."

    Sounds to me like cups is not running. Did you install cups? Is it running?
    (ps auxww|grep cups)

    >(/etc/hosts has "127.0.0.1 localhost". Can ping 127.0.0.1.)

    >Not come across this sort of behaviour on desktop!

    >What on earth could be wrong here?

  3. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:04:43 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Sounds to me like cups is not running. Did you install cups? Is
    > it running?
    > (ps auxww|grep cups)

    On desktop, "ps auxww|grep cups" gives:

    root 4773 0.0 0.2 6676 2472 ? SNs 15:18 0:00
    cupsd
    mab 9470 0.0 0.0 3072 812 pts/2 S+ 19:24 0:00
    grep --color cups

    On laptop, I only see the 2nd line (user "mab").

    I had assumed that using MCC to set up printer would also
    install CUPS...

    --
    /\/\aurice

  4. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:04:43 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Did you install cups?

    How does one do that if PrinterDrak won't play ball and
    localhost:631 is not available?

    --
    /\/\aurice

  5. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:39:11 +0000, I wrote:

    > How does one do that if PrinterDrak won't play ball and
    > localhost:631 is not available?

    Well, I've tried:

    service cups start: "Cannot find CUPS service"
    service cups -f start: "Cannot find /etc/init.d/cups"

    So did "urpmi cups" and then "service cups start", and it says
    CUPS had been started.

    But I'm still at square 1: MCC/Hardware/Manage Printers still
    hangs on "Setting default printer" and "localhost:631" still
    won't work.

    --
    /\/\aurice

  6. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    Maurice Batey writes:

    >On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:04:43 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    >> Sounds to me like cups is not running. Did you install cups? Is
    >> it running?
    >> (ps auxww|grep cups)

    >On desktop, "ps auxww|grep cups" gives:

    >root 4773 0.0 0.2 6676 2472 ? SNs 15:18 0:00
    >cupsd
    >mab 9470 0.0 0.0 3072 812 pts/2 S+ 19:24 0:00
    >grep --color cups

    >On laptop, I only see the 2nd line (user "mab").

    That means that cups is NOT running and thus it is not surprizing that you
    cannot get it to do anything.
    a)
    Try as root
    service cups start
    if that complains that there is nothing to start ( gives you a list of the
    options to the command service) then cups is not installed.
    urpmi cups
    If that command does return with failed or it returns with OK but when you
    do
    ps auxww|grep cups
    you still do not see the cupsd line, then there is some problem. Look in
    /var/log/messages, /var/log/cups/errors
    to see if there is a hint.

    >I had assumed that using MCC to set up printer would also
    >install CUPS...

    >--
    >/\/\aurice
    > (Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)

  7. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    Maurice Batey writes:

    >On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:04:43 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    >> Did you install cups?

    > How does one do that if PrinterDrak won't play ball and
    >localhost:631 is not available?

    urpmi cups

    which should install most of the required packages. But I have
    rpm -qa|grep cups
    cups-drivers-2007-6mdv2007.0
    cups-common-1.2.4-1.5mdv2007.0
    libgnomecups-1.0_1-0.2.2-3mdv2007.0
    libgnomecups-0.2.2-3mdv2007.0
    cups-serial-1.2.4-1.5mdv2007.0
    gutenprint-cups-5.0.0-2mdv2007.0
    libcups2-1.2.4-1.5mdv2007.0
    libcups2-devel-1.2.4-1.5mdv2007.0
    cups-1.2.4-1.5mdv2007.0
    php-cups-1.2.4-1.5mdv2007.0

    >--
    >/\/\aurice
    > (Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)

  8. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:14:34 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > But I'm still at square 1: MCC/Hardware/Manage Printers still
    > hangs on "Setting default printer" and "localhost:631" still
    > won't work.

    Try http://localhost:631/

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > So did "urpmi cups" and then "service cups start", and it says
    > CUPS had been started.
    >
    > But I'm still at square 1: MCC/Hardware/Manage Printers still
    > hangs on "Setting default printer" and "localhost:631" still
    > won't work.

    CUPS is usually set up by default to announce on the network the presence of
    all attached printers that it manages. If you've set up the printer to be
    managed by CUPS, then it should be visible and usable by any other host on
    the network. You should be able to open the Print dialog on any application
    (or, at least, most applications) and select it.

    --
    BackPacker

  10. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:32:56 +0000, BackPacker wrote:

    > If you've set up the printer to be managed by CUPS,

    But I can't set up the printer at all, because Drakprinter
    hangs before anything gets done!

    (The laptop doesn't have an attached printer; the idea is that
    the laptop will print on the printer attached to the desktop, on
    the local network. I just want to set the laptop up to do that.)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  11. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > (The laptop doesn't have an attached printer; the idea is that
    > the laptop will print on the printer attached to the desktop, on
    > the local network. I just want to set the laptop up to do that.)

    As I said, if you've set up the laptop on the desktop pc, and the CUPS
    daemon is running on both, the printer should be visible and available on
    your laptop.

    --
    BackPacker

  12. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 00:47:48 +0000, BackPacker wrote:

    > if you've set up the laptop on the desktop pc,

    Erm, what do you mean by that, please?

    > and the CUPS daemon is running on both, the printer should be
    > visible and available on your laptop.

    OK - I've started CUPS on the laptop, and did a Print on both
    Kwrite and OpenOffice Writer. In both cases, the printer on the
    desktop is found ("192.168.0.2"), but the print fails as follows:

    "A print error occurred. Error message received from system:

    cupsdoprint -P 'HPDeskJet510' -J 'Untitled' -H '192.168.0.2:631'
    -U 'mab' -o ' copies=1
    multiple-document-handling=separate-documents-collated-copies
    orientation-requested=3'
    '/home/mab/tmp/kde-mab/kdeprint_K492hZN9' : execution failed with
    message:
    client-error-not-authorized "

    What needs doing to push it the last step?!

    --
    /\/\aurice

  13. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:42:14 +0000, I wrote:

    > Drakprinter hangs before anything gets done!

    This morning I booted up the laptop with wirless 'off', then
    went into MCC/Hardware/Printers, and this time it went into the
    'Printer' screen.

    But the 'local printer' tab was greyed out (well, there's no
    printer attached).

    The other tab just had the Reset(?) and "CUPS" buttons 'on'.
    Selecting 'CUPS' showed a setting:

    "Remote CUPS server and no local CUPS daemon: On; Server:
    192.168.0.2" (the latter being the IP address of the desktop).

    So I guess that what the MCC/H/PM was doing when connected
    wirelessly "Setting default printer" was linking up with the
    CUPS server on the desktop (but keeping very quiet about what
    it had done).

    --
    /\/\aurice

  14. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 00:47:48 +0000, BackPacker wrote:
    >
    >> if you've set up the laptop on the desktop pc,

    > Erm, what do you mean by that, please?

    Sorry, my mistake. I meant to type "if you've set up the printer on the
    desktop pc". One of those late-night brain glitches.

    > client-error-not-authorized "

    I'm no expert on CUPS. I installed it on my desktop pc and my laptop,
    ensured that the cupsd daemon was running on both, opened OpenOffice, typed
    an example paragraph, told it to print it to "lp on 192.168.1.2" and it
    just worked.

    However, I'd suggest you check your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file on the desktop
    pc and make sure you've got these lines (from the results you got, I think
    you have them):

    Browsing On
    BrowseAllow @LOCAL

    You could also compare your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf (the one on the machine
    with the printer attached) with my working one, which you can see here:

    http://pastebin.com/m63d15d4d

    If it looks the same but you still can't print from the laptop, you could
    try changing or adding to the following section (after backing up the
    original copy):

    # Restrict access to the server...

    Order allow,deny
    Allow From localhost
    Allow From 127.0.0.2

    For example, you could replace the two Allow lines with this line:
    Allow from All
    but only do this if your machine is firewalled off from the Internet on port
    631. Alternatively, you could keep the two existing Allow lines and add
    this one:
    Allow from 192.168.1.*
    but change the 192.168.1 to the first part of your network IP address range.

    For each change you make, you'll need to get the CUPS daemon to reread the
    config file. Assuming you're using Mandriva, you can do this in a konsole:
    service cupsd restart
    or you could do it from Configure your computer/System/Services.

    Once cupsd has restarted, try printing from the laptop again. I'd advise you
    to restart kwrite, openoffice, or whatever program you're using to print
    with, each time you restart cupsd. I've noticed with openoffice that if you
    start it before CUPS broadcasts the printer's presence on the net, OO fails
    to notice that the printer's available.

    Good luck.

    --
    BackPacker

  15. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 03:40:57 +0000, BackPacker wrote:

    > Browsing On
    > BrowseAllow @LOCAL

    Yes - they are both there.

    > You could also compare your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf (the one on the machine
    > with the printer attached) with my working one, which you can see here:
    >
    > http://pastebin.com/m63d15d4d

    Ah, yes - many thanks! But there are so many differences -
    though they may boil down to the same thing, I suppose...

    I've posted mine on:

    http://pastebin.com/m5018486

    in case you have time to take a dekko.

    I'm thinking of temporarily substituting your version of
    /etc/cups/cupsd.conf for mine to see if that will work.

    --
    /\/\aurice

  16. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > I've posted mine on:
    >
    > http://pastebin.com/m5018486
    >
    > in case you have time to take a dekko.

    I see that in your section, you have the following:
    Allow From 192.168.0.3
    Which machine has that IP? Would it be the laptop, by any chance?

    --
    BackPacker

  17. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > I've posted mine on:
    >
    > http://pastebin.com/m5018486
    >
    > in case you have time to take a dekko.

    By the way, why do you have this at the end of your cupsd.conf?

    BrowseDeny All

    --
    BackPacker

  18. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:03:54 +0000, BackPacker wrote:

    > By the way, why do you have this at the end of your cupsd.conf?
    >
    > BrowseDeny All

    I didn't put it there!

    --
    /\/\aurice
    ((Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)

  19. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:00:40 +0000, BackPacker wrote:

    > I see that in your section, you have the following:
    > Allow From 192.168.0.3
    > Which machine has that IP? Would it be the laptop, by any chance?

    Yes, the laptop. (0.1 is router, 0.2 is desktop)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  20. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:03:54 +0000, BackPacker wrote:

    > By the way, why do you have this at the end of your cupsd.conf?
    >
    > BrowseDeny All

    P.S. I've commented it out - but print attempt still fails as
    before.

    --
    /\/\aurice

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast