Problem setting up printer on laptop - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Problem setting up printer on laptop - Mandriva ; Maurice Batey wrote: > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 03:40:57 +0000, BackPacker wrote: > >> opened OpenOffice, typed >> an example paragraph, told it to print it to "lp on 192.168.1.2" > > How did you tell it to print ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 51 of 51

  1. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 03:40:57 +0000, BackPacker wrote:
    >
    >> opened OpenOffice, typed
    >> an example paragraph, told it to print it to "lp on 192.168.1.2"

    > How did you tell it to print "to lp on 192.168.1.2"?
    >
    > Nowhere on OO Writer can I find a place to specify that.
    > ('Printer properties' contains "HP5150 deskjet" - no choice.)

    My HP Deskjet 640 is named 'lp' and it's plugged into my PC, which has the
    IP of 192.168.1.2. In OpenOffice, when I select Print from the File
    menu, 'lp' automatically shows up as the first option in the Name drop-down
    menu. So I (optionally) change the print properties and just click OK or
    press Enter.

    I realise it was probably misleading putting "lp on 192.168.1.2" in quotes.
    I didn't mean that I entered that in OO. It's just that CUPS on the PC
    broadcasts the fact that 'lp' is available on 192.168.1.2 and CUPS on the
    laptop picks that up.

    --
    BackPacker

  2. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 00:15:09 +0000, BackPacker wrote:

    > It's just that CUPS on the PC
    > broadcasts the fact that 'lp' is available on 192.168.1.2 and CUPS on the
    > laptop picks that up.

    OIC. Well, that's exactly what happens on the laptop, then,
    but more verbose!

    --
    /\/\aurice

  3. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:36:48 +0000, I wrote:

    > I've started CUPS on the laptop

    Hold on a minute. It may be that CUPS doesn't actually start
    properly...

    When I did that, as soon as I saw

    "Starting CUPS printing system [ OK (in green] ]"

    I exited the terminal session.

    But today I noticed that after doing 'service cups start' and
    the above response appears, the terminal session does NOT return
    to the user prompt (as it does on desktop).

    Instead - after a few minutes - the response:

    "Waiting for the CUPS daemon getting ready"

    appears, with a '.' character being added at 1-minute intervals
    (still going after 8 dots - i.e. never terminates.)

    Perhaps this is where the overall problem lies.

    Why the message about "daemon"?

    (No clues at end of /var/log/cups/access_log or error_log.)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  4. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:03:02 +0000, I wrote:

    > Hold on a minute. It may be that CUPS doesn't actually start
    > properly...

    In fact, that was a complete red herring, for I NOW HAVE
    PRINTING WORKING from the laptop!

    Furthermore, it worked *without* starting CUPS, which suggests
    that CUPS doesn't even have to be installed on the laptop.

    How did I get printing working? Well - as with the Login icons
    - I don't really know...

    The sequence of events that led to it working were as follows:

    (1) Two days ago I tried - again - to install the printer on the
    laptop, and once again (even though the printer was plugged into
    it) the option to add a printer was denied in MCC/Hardware.
    There was simply no way to request it.

    (2) Yesterday, I changed the Firewall settings from "Allow All"
    (which I had set - temporarily - in case the problem was with
    the firewall) to my usual "SSH and Ping only".

    (3) Trying to print from laptop again showed a regression from
    the previous situation: KWrite's print function could not even
    "access the list of printers". So I restarted CUPS, and then
    found the 'start' would not finish - as reported yesterday..
    Also, MCC/Hardware/Printers had gone back to its hanging on
    "Settng Default Printer".

    (4) This morning, in a 'eureka' moment, I recalled seeing a
    'CUPS' option in the Firewall settings, so turned it 'on', and
    on the laptop went into MCC/Hardware/Printers, This time it
    showed - for the first time, under "Printers defined
    elsewhere" - details of the HP 5150 plugged into the desktop!

    (5) Went into KWrite, requested printing of a sample text
    string, and it found the remote printer and PRINTED ON IT.

    So - get the flags out chaps! And I shall drink a toast to all
    those of you who so kindly pitched in with ideas. I very much
    appreciate that...

    (Now, the $64 question is: As CUPS seems to be redundant on the
    laptop, dare I uninstall it?! The short answer for the time
    being is: NO WAY! But I would be very interested in any ideas...)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  5. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > I NOW HAVE PRINTING WORKING from the laptop!

    Congratulations.

    > (Now, the $64 question is: As CUPS seems to be redundant on the
    > laptop, dare I uninstall it?!

    Open a konsole and enter 'ps ax | grep cups' and see if you get something
    like this:

    2779 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/cupsd

    --
    BackPacker

  6. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:33:54 +0000, BackPacker wrote:

    > Open a konsole and enter 'ps ax | grep cups' and see if you get
    > something like this:
    >
    > 2779 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/cupsd

    On laptop (just after boot up & successful print):

    7157 pts/2 S+ 0:00 grep --color cups

    On desktop:

    4848 ? SNs 0:00 cupsd
    8365 pts/2 S+ 0:00 grep --color cups

    What do you conclude, please?

    --
    /\/\aurice

  7. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On laptop (just after boot up & successful print):
    > 7157 pts/2 S+ 0:00 grep --color cups
    >
    > On desktop:
    > 4848 ? SNs 0:00 cupsd
    >
    > What do you conclude, please?

    I conclude that clients apparently don't need a local CUPS server to be
    running locally, whereas I'd previously assumed that they did. It means I
    can shut down CUPS on my laptop.

    Coincidentally, my own printer (which I hardly ever use) has just stopped
    working, not only from my laptop across the network, but also locally. But
    then yesterday my laptop couldn't get a valid IP from the router and also
    refused to recognise anything plugged into the USB ports. Now today I turn
    it on and it picks up a valid IP straight away and the USB ports are
    working, and all I did was turn it off overnight and back on again this
    afternoon. But I no longer get a pop-up dialog asking what I want to do
    with whatever's plugged into the USB. I think they do this whenever we're
    smug enough to think things are going well... :-)

    --
    BackPacker

  8. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:25:05 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > (Now, the $64 question is: As CUPS seems to be redundant on the
    > laptop, dare I uninstall it?! The short answer for the time
    > being is: NO WAY! But I would be very interested in any ideas...)

    Glad you've got it working.

    If you use the repackage option (urpme --repackage cups cups-common libcups2),
    the rpm packages would be stored in /var/spool/repackage. If you then found
    that printing didn't work without cups, you could reinstall them, without
    having to download them again.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:22:32 +0000, BackPacker wrote:

    > It means I can shut down CUPS on my laptop.

    Will naturally be interested in hearing what then happens with
    printing!

    > I think they do this whenever we're smug enough to think
    > things are going well... :-)

    It's one of the more recent chapters of Sod's Law... :-))

    --
    /\/\aurice

  10. Re: Problem setting up printer on laptop

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:51:33 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > If you then found that printing didn't work without cups,

    Well, I bit the bullet and uninstalled CUPS on the laptop.

    Result: Printing from laptop still works. (Phew...)

    --
    /\/\aurice

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:22:32 +0000, BackPacker wrote:
    >
    >> It means I can shut down CUPS on my laptop.

    > Will naturally be interested in hearing what then happens with
    > printing!

    I'll let you know when I get the printer working on the PC again.

    --
    BackPacker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3