nvidia - Mandriva

This is a discussion on nvidia - Mandriva ; Happy new year to all, please, I am trying to install xgl and compiz to mandriva2008 x86_64. The kernel I am using is $uname -r 2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv The generic mandriva driver does not understand my graphic card supports 3d (geforce 8600) ...

  1. nvidia

    Happy new year to all,
    please, I am trying to install xgl and compiz to mandriva2008 x86_64.
    The kernel I am using is
    $uname -r
    2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv

    The generic mandriva driver does not understand my graphic card
    supports 3d
    (geforce 8600)
    $glxinfo |grep rendering
    direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting
    LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)

    Here is the log file generated by the nvidia (proprietary) driver

    Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
    -> License accepted.
    -> No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel;
    would you li
    ke the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your
    kernel f
    rom the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)? (Answer: Yes)
    -> No matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the NVIDIA
    ftp site;
    this means that the installer will need to compile a kernel
    interface for
    your kernel.
    -> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
    -> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
    -> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv/source'
    -> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv/build'
    ERROR: If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
    you either have configured kernel sources matching your
    kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
    on your system.

    If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
    you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
    installed on your system. If you specified a separate
    output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
    the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
    directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
    the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

    Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
    kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
    their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
    the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.
    ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file
    '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find
    suggestions
    on fixing installation problems in the README available on the
    Linux
    driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

    what should i do? I also tried to compile my kernel using
    $cd /usr/src/linux
    $make oldconfig
    $make
    error

    Thank youso much,
    Daniel

  2. Re: nvidia

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 04:35:57 -0800, daniel_unb wrote:

    > Happy new year to all,
    > please, I am trying to install xgl and compiz to mandriva2008 x86_64.
    > The kernel I am using is
    > $uname -r
    > 2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv
    >
    > The generic mandriva driver does not understand my graphic card
    > supports 3d
    > (geforce 8600)
    > $glxinfo |grep rendering
    > direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting
    > LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
    >
    > Here is the log file generated by the nvidia (proprietary) driver

    > Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
    > -> License accepted.
    > -> No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel;
    > would you li
    > ke the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your
    > kernel f
    > rom the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)? (Answer: Yes)
    > -> No matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the NVIDIA
    > ftp site;
    > this means that the installer will need to compile a kernel
    > interface for
    > your kernel.
    > -> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
    > -> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
    > -> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv/source'
    > -> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv/build'
    > ERROR: If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
    > you either have configured kernel sources matching your
    > kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
    > on your system.
    >
    > If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
    > you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
    > installed on your system. If you specified a separate
    > output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
    > the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
    > directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
    > the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.
    >
    > Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
    > kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
    > their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
    > the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.
    > ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file
    > '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find
    > suggestions
    > on fixing installation problems in the README available on the
    > Linux
    > driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
    >
    > what should i do? I also tried to compile my kernel using
    > $cd /usr/src/linux
    > $make oldconfig
    > $make
    > error
    >
    > Thank youso much,
    > Daniel

    I have had this problem and was able to solve it by installing the kernel
    sources by the following at a terminal prompt as root.

    urpmi kernel-source

    If urpmi is configured properly you will be given a list to choose from.
    Choose the one that matches your kernel. After that the nvidia driver
    should install properly. You should also be able to install the nvidia
    driver using urpmi as well.

    If you do not have urpmi configured follow the instructions at

    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org

  3. Re: nvidia

    Thank you for answering promptly.
    I had to add a specific sript so that proprietary drivers can also be
    installed using XFdrake, the site is
    http://www.proxad.net
    The details (if you want) can be found in mandrivaitalia.org
    Well, the thing is that it correctly installs the nvidia proprietary
    driver, compiles the kernel, with no error messages.
    for example
    $rpm -qa |grep kernel
    nvidia-current-kernel-2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv-100.14.19-1mdv2008.0
    kernel-desktop-2.6.22.12-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0
    nvidia-current-kernel-desktop-latest-100.14.19-1.20071121.1mdv2008.0
    kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.22.12-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0

    But, when I do the comand
    $startx
    error messages...
    $

    It just doesnt work. :-(
    Please, can you help me? Thanks a lot.

    Daniel

    On 11 jan, 11:47, "Les B. Labbauf" wrote:
> [...]

    > > Linux
    > > driver download page atwww.nvidia.com.

    > > what should i do? I also tried to compile my kernel using
    > > $cd /usr/src/linux
    > > $make oldconfig
    > > $make
    > > error

    > > Thank youso much,
    > > Daniel

    > I have had this problem and was able to solve it by installing the kernel
    > sources by the following at a terminal prompt as root.
    >
    > urpmi kernel-source
    >
    > If urpmi is configured properly you will be given a list to choose from.
    > Choose the one that matches your kernel. After that the nvidia driver
    > should install properly. You should also be able to install the nvidia
    > driver using urpmi as well.
    >
    > If you do not have urpmi configured follow the instructions at

  4. Re: nvidia

    here is the xorg.log file
    (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
    (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
    (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
    (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TwinView"
    (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
    (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals"
    (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
    (WW) NVIDIA(0): No TwinView "MetaModes" specified; will fall back to
    Display
    (WW) NVIDIA(0): SubSection modes.
    (**) NVIDIA(0): TwinView enabled
    (II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X
    extensions is
    (II) NVIDIA(0): enabled.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
    (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
    (II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
    (II) UnloadModule: "fb"
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

    On 11 jan, 20:03, daniel_unb wrote:
> [...]

    > > > Linux
    > > > driver download page atwww.nvidia.com.

    > > > what should i do? I also tried to compile my kernel using
    > > > $cd /usr/src/linux
    > > > $make oldconfig
    > > > $make
    > > > error

    > > > Thank youso much,
    > > > Daniel

    > > I have had this problem and was able to solve it by installing the kernel
    > > sources by the following at a terminal prompt as root.

    > > urpmi kernel-source

    > > If urpmi is configured properly you will be given a list to choose from.
    > > Choose the one that matches your kernel. After that the nvidia driver
    > > should install properly. You should also be able to install the nvidia
    > > driver using urpmi as well.

    > > If you do not have urpmi configured follow the instructions at

  5. Re: nvidia

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:03:42 -0800, daniel_unb wrote:

> [...]

    >> > Linux
    >> > driver download page atwww.nvidia.com.

    >> > what should i do? I also tried to compile my kernel using
    >> > $cd /usr/src/linux
    >> > $make oldconfig
    >> > $make
    >> > error

    >> > Thank youso much,
    >> > Daniel

    >> I have had this problem and was able to solve it by installing the kernel
    >> sources by the following at a terminal prompt as root.
    >>
    >> urpmi kernel-source
    >>
    >> If urpmi is configured properly you will be given a list to choose from.
    >> Choose the one that matches your kernel. After that the nvidia driver
    >> should install properly. You should also be able to install the nvidia
    >> driver using urpmi as well.
    >>
    >> If you do not have urpmi configured follow the instructions at

    During the boot process do you see a message about the nvidia driver being
    loaded? It sounds like your monitor is not configured properly for the
    driver.

  6. Re: nvidia

    First, as a shot in the dark (may not work), try changing nvidia
    to nv in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. nVidia and Mandriva do not always
    agree on the name for the proper module.

    Next, if that does not work, the problem usually is that the
    nVidia compiler cannot find or recognize the exact headers it needs
    to compile new drivers.

    Your first post said your were running kernel,
    2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv
    but later you list among the packages installed
    kernel-desktop-2.6.22.12-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0

    This looks to me like two different kernels. The devel
    package and the running kernel must match, or the nVidia
    drivers will not work (and usually will not compile).

    If this is indeed your problem, ignore everything below
    until you have downloaded a devel kernel package and
    a kernel package, installed both, and rebooted your
    machine to the new kernel. If dkms is installed
    and working, it may install your new drivers.

    If not, then adjust the following package names to
    match your current devel and kernel packages, and go through
    the exercise below.

    In /usr/src you should have a directory installed by
    kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.22.12-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0

    I think it will look like
    linux-2.6.22.12-1-desktop-1-1mdv
    This should NOT be the complete source code for the kernel,
    just the header files, some Makefiles, and a few other things.
    you need to make sure there is a symbolic link /usr/src/linux
    that points to this directory. E.g.
    ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.12-1-desktop-1-1mdv /usr/src/linux

    In /lib/modules/2.6.22.12-1-desktop-1-1mdv you may need one or
    both of symbolic links
    ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.12-1-desktop-1-1mdv build
    ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.12-1-desktop-1-1mdv source

    Then, in /usr/src/nvidia-current-169.07-1mdv2008.0 (or wherever
    your Mandriva package compiler resides) you need to run
    make module and make install.

    If you are using the installer package from the nVidia site,
    in the directory where you have that package (for example,
    /usr/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19) you will need to
    run ./*run and go through the routine of answering questions,
    etc. If it asks if you want to configure X11, say yes.

    If you have the complete source code for your running
    kernel and want to use that, you must go to the directory
    for that, and cp /boot/config to .config. In this case,
    the symbolic links described above must point to the
    source code directory. Then try to build and install the drivers.

    I have had the nVidia installer refuse to recognize that the/
    /boot/config cp'ed to .config was the proper config file for
    the running kernel. The problem was the name at the top of
    the file did not match the name in another config file in
    the source code, and I had to find and change other name to
    match. It might be easier to do a minimal make menuconfig,
    make and install a new kernel and modules from source, and
    then use the nVidia installer to install the drivers needed.

    This brings to mind one other possible problem. The kernel
    and the drivers must be compiled using the same compiler.
    If you are using source (rather than the devel headers package)
    you must have up-to-date development tools installed so
    the compiler will be the same.

    If you have dkms installed and it is set up to compile
    your nVidia drivers for you,

    1. Install the devel kernel package for your kernel.
    2. Install the kernel package for your kernel.
    3. Reboot your machine. If all goes as it should, dkms
    will compile your drivers automatically.

    Cheers!

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: nvidia

    Hi Jim,
    Thank you for writting. Yes I am using the nv driver, it works. I will
    check out if the kernel and source do not match.

    Well the fact is that I used a small scritp to the proprietary
    drivers int XFdrake, so it was the nvidia proprietary driver which
    automatically downloaded the
    kernel-devel, and compiled the kernel, and dkms.
    I will try to check the compatibility of kernel-devel and kernel
    tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    Daniel

    On 12 jan, 00:34, Jim Beard wrote:
> [...]
    > make and install a new kernel and modules from source, and
    > then use the nVidia installer to install the drivers needed.
    >
    > This brings to mind one other possible problem. *The kernel
    > and the drivers must be compiled using the same compiler.
    > If you are using source (rather than the devel headers package)
    > you must have up-to-date development tools installed so
    > the compiler will be the same.
    >
    > If you have dkms installed and it is set up to compile
    > your nVidia drivers for you,
    >
    > 1. *Install the devel kernel package for your kernel.
    > 2. *Install the kernel package for your kernel.
    > 3. *Reboot your machine. *If all goes as it should, dkms
    > will compile your drivers automatically.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > --
    > UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    > * * * expects users to be computer-friendly.

  8. Re: nvidia

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:58:27 -0800, daniel_unb wrote:

> [...]
    >> make and install a new kernel and modules from source, and
    >> then use the nVidia installer to install the drivers needed.
    >>
    >> This brings to mind one other possible problem. *The kernel
    >> and the drivers must be compiled using the same compiler.
    >> If you are using source (rather than the devel headers package)
    >> you must have up-to-date development tools installed so
    >> the compiler will be the same.
    >>
    >> If you have dkms installed and it is set up to compile
    >> your nVidia drivers for you,
    >>
    >> 1. *Install the devel kernel package for your kernel.
    >> 2. *Install the kernel package for your kernel.
    >> 3. *Reboot your machine. *If all goes as it should, dkms
    >> will compile your drivers automatically.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> --
    >> UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    >> * * * expects users to be computer-friendly.

    Have you tried downloading the driver package from the nvidia website? I
    have used their drivers and had no problem with the install. As long as
    you have the kernel-sources installed, the nvidia package from their
    website should install and configure your xorg.conf file.

  9. Re: nvidia

    Hi Jim,
    thank you so much for your help and patient. -) It finally worked
    out!!
    I did more and less what you told me. First I removed everything that
    had nvidia
    $urpme nvidia-kernel... x11-nvidia... dkms-nvidia...

    I also removed the kernel-devel
    $urpme kernel-devel

    this last step removed also the dkms package.

    Then I downloaded the
    NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run

    package from the nvidia web site. Installed the kernel-devel again
    $urpmi kernel-devel
    $chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run
    $sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run -q

    And finally everything works!!!
    Thank you,
    Daniel

    On 13 jan, 01:58, "Les B. Labbauf" wrote:
> [...]

    > >> If you are using source (rather than the devel headers package)
    > >> you must have up-to-date development tools installed so
    > >> the compiler will be the same.

    > >> If you have dkms installed and it is set up to compile
    > >> your nVidia drivers for you,

    > >> 1. Install the devel kernel package for your kernel.
    > >> 2. Install the kernel package for your kernel.
    > >> 3. Reboot your machine. If all goes as it should, dkms
    > >> will compile your drivers automatically.

    > >> Cheers!

    > >> --
    > >> UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    > >> expects users to be computer-friendly.

    > Have you tried downloading the driver package from the nvidia website? I
    > have used their drivers and had no problem with the install. As long as
    > you have the kernel-sources installed, the nvidia package from their
    > website should install and configure your xorg.conf file.

  10. Re: nvidia

    daniel_unb wrote:
    > Hi Jim,
    > thank you so much for your help and patient. -) It finally worked
    > out!!
    > I did more and less what you told me. First I removed everything that
    > had nvidia
    > $urpme nvidia-kernel... x11-nvidia... dkms-nvidia...
    >
    > I also removed the kernel-devel
    > $urpme kernel-devel
    >
    > this last step removed also the dkms package.
    >
    > Then I downloaded the
    > NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run
    >
    > package from the nvidia web site. Installed the kernel-devel again
    > $urpmi kernel-devel
    > $chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run
    > $sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run -q
    >
    > And finally everything works!!!

    Outstanding! The basic problem is that the nVidia
    graphics software is integrated very tightly into the
    kernel, and any misalignmnet messes things up badly.

    In consequence, you have to have a running kernel
    and headers for it that match exactly, and the compiler
    used to compile the kernel and the nVidia drivers must
    also match. Otherwise, symbols and addresses within
    the kernel may not align properly.

    The nVidia installer checks several things to make
    sure that everything matches up properly (see the
    log file in /var/log/nvidia-installer.log). One thing
    checked is the version which appears in the top of the
    ..config file in a kernel source-code tree (example:
    Linux kernel version: 2.6.23.12-2mdvtmbcustom). There
    is also a version identified that appears in a makefile
    somewhere, and a version.h file under include/linux that
    get checked. These may be altered when you configure a
    kernel's .config file, and the nVidia installer will
    be offended and refuse to cooperate when all does not
    match.

    But when all lines up properly, results are very good!

    My general approach is to download the devel/stripped
    package containing needed headers for a new kernel and
    install that. I then install the matching stock kernel
    package, and reboot. If dmks does its thing properly,
    new nVidia drivers get created at this point, and all
    is well.

    I have had failure at this point using Mandriva
    2007.1 and earlier (sometimes it worked, sometimes
    not). If it did not work, I would resort to the
    installer package from the nVidia website, and that
    always worked.

    If I had compiled a kernel, I had to install the
    new kernel, boot to it, make sure that all symbolic
    links were properly set up (/usr/src/linux
    /lib/modules/build and maybe /lib/modules/source
    all pointing at the top directory of the kernel
    source code), and, if dkms did not work on reboot,
    install the drivers using the nVidia installer
    package. If anything changed before installing
    the drivers, the nVidia package might choke up
    and refuse to do the deed.

    Yes, nVidia is finicky. But if everything matches,
    the installer works, and the result is worth it!

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  11. Re: nvidia

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > If I had compiled a kernel, I had to install the
    > new kernel, boot to it, make sure that all symbolic
    > links were properly set up (/usr/src/linux
    > /lib/modules/build and maybe /lib/modules/source

    Oops. The /lib paths should read
    /lib/modules/kernel_designation_goes_here/build
    /lib/modules/kernel_designation_goes_here/source

    > all pointing at the top directory of the kernel
    > source code), and, if dkms did not work on reboot,
    > install the drivers using the nVidia installer
    > package. If anything changed before installing
    > the drivers, the nVidia package might choke up
    > and refuse to do the deed.

    Bear in mind that reinstalling drivers may require
    you to change the symbolic links back to where they
    were when you created drivers for the kernel running.
    This complication can occur when you have updated
    your kernel two or three times but kept the old
    kernels on the system, and then there is an update
    to the nVidia installer package. DKMS will try to
    reinstall all nVidia drivers using the new installer,
    but if symbolic links are changed it may fail.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

+ Reply to Thread