HP keyboard, possibility to program "shortcut buttons"? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on HP keyboard, possibility to program "shortcut buttons"? - Mandriva ; Hi, I have got a smart keyboard from my employer, they where about to trhow it into the garbage when the "collect everything regarding data" inside me woke up and I asked to have it instead. The keyboard is wonderful ...

  1. HP keyboard, possibility to program "shortcut buttons"?

    Hi, I have got a smart keyboard from my employer, they where about to
    trhow it into the garbage when the "collect everything regarding data"
    inside me woke up and I asked to have it instead. The keyboard is
    wonderful to use, soft to write with and look pretty cool in black and
    silver as well =0)
    My big question is: Is it by any means possible to program those
    "shortcut buttons" on the top of the keyboard under Mandriva?, There are
    a row of 8 buttons, ranging from Information, explorer, e-mail and so
    on. have anyone done this?

    All the best
    Roger
    --
    Mandriva Linux 2008 (Linuxcounter #432950)

    MSI K8TM, 1,0 Gb Memory, AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU
    ATI Sapphire Radeon X1600
    Be against others the way
    you want to be treated yourself

  2. Re: HP keyboard, possibility to program "shortcut buttons"?

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:01:03 +0100, Roger wrote:

    > My big question is: Is it by any means possible to program those
    > "shortcut buttons" on the top of the keyboard under Mandriva?,

    install the xev package. After install you run
    xev

    and you can press those key to see if you get key codes.
    Once you have your key codes, there is
    http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/...ring_keyboards

  3. Re: HP keyboard, possibility to program "shortcut buttons"?

    Bit Twister skrev:
    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:33:43 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:01:03 +0100, Roger wrote:
    >>
    >>> My big question is: Is it by any means possible to program those
    >>> "shortcut buttons" on the top of the keyboard under Mandriva?,

    >> install the xev package. After install you run
    >> xev
    >>
    >> and you can press those key to see if you get key codes.
    >> Once you have your key codes, there is
    >> http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/...ring_keyboards

    > This might help http://sourceforge.net/projeThanks for the advice, did what you told me and installed xev, but I do not get any key-codes,

    maybe that was the reason for them throwing the keyboard, maybe that
    function is broken.Anyways, thanks Bit Twister.

    Roger

    --
    Mandriva Linux 2008 (Linuxcounter #432950)

    MSI K8TM, 1,0 Gb Memory, AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU
    ATI Sapphire Radeon X1600
    Be against others the way
    you want to be treated yourself

  4. Re: HP keyboard, possibility to program "shortcut buttons"?

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:33:43 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:01:03 +0100, Roger wrote:
    >
    >> My big question is: Is it by any means possible to program those
    >> "shortcut buttons" on the top of the keyboard under Mandriva?,

    > install the xev package. After install you run
    > xev
    >
    > and you can press those key to see if you get key codes.
    > Once you have your key codes, there is
    > http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/...ring_keyboards

    This might help http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkc/

  5. Re: HP keyboard, possibility to program "shortcut buttons"?

    Mark South skrev:
    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:33:43 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:01:03 +0100, Roger wrote:
    >>
    >>> My big question is: Is it by any means possible to program those
    >>> "shortcut buttons" on the top of the keyboard under Mandriva?,

    >> install the xev package. After install you run xev
    >>
    >> and you can press those key to see if you get key codes. Once you have
    >> your key codes, there is
    >> http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/...ring_keyboards

    > If you are using Gnome or KDE it's normally simpler than that. For
    > example, under Gnome, go to System - Preferences - Keyboard shortcuts,
    > select the item you would like a key to actuate, then press that key.
    > KDE is very similar, KDE Control Centre, Peripherals, Keyboard and go on
    > from there.

    Hi, I am using KDE, but the only thing I can see in the control-panel is
    key-repetition choises and so on, no additives for extra keys.

    Roger

    --
    Mandriva Linux 2008 (Linuxcounter #432950)

    MSI K8TM, 1,0 Gb Memory, AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU
    ATI Sapphire Radeon X1600
    Be against others the way
    you want to be treated yourself

  6. Re: HP keyboard, possibility to program "shortcut buttons"?

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:33:43 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:01:03 +0100, Roger wrote:
    >
    >> My big question is: Is it by any means possible to program those
    >> "shortcut buttons" on the top of the keyboard under Mandriva?,

    > install the xev package. After install you run xev
    >
    > and you can press those key to see if you get key codes. Once you have
    > your key codes, there is
    > http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/...ring_keyboards

    If you are using Gnome or KDE it's normally simpler than that. For
    example, under Gnome, go to System - Preferences - Keyboard shortcuts,
    select the item you would like a key to actuate, then press that key.
    KDE is very similar, KDE Control Centre, Peripherals, Keyboard and go on
    from there.

  7. Re: HP keyboard, possibility to program "shortcut buttons"?

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:41:39 -0500, Roger wrote:

    > Hi, I am using KDE, but the only thing I can see in the control-panel is
    > key-repetition choises and so on, no additives for extra keys.

    In kcontrol, select "Regional & Accessibility", then "Keyboard Shortcuts".

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  8. Re: HP keyboard, possibility to program "shortcut buttons"?

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:41:39 -0500, Roger wrote:

    > Hi, I am using KDE, but the only thing I can see in the control-panel is
    > key-repetition choises and so on, no additives for extra keys.

    In addition to setting keyboard shortcuts, and/or input actions, you may
    need to modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf. For example, I have ...

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbModel" "logiik"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
    EndSection

    You can find the available XkbModel values in /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst,
    if you have x11-data-xkbdata installed.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: HP keyboard, possibility to program "shortcut buttons"?

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:16:36 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:41:39 -0500, Roger
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I am using KDE, but the only thing I can see in the control-panel
    >> is key-repetition choises and so on, no additives for extra keys.

    > In kcontrol, select "Regional & Accessibility", then "Keyboard
    > Shortcuts".

    Thanks for correcting my misremembered instructions, DH.

    To Roger: apologies, I don't have a KDE box to hand today.

  10. Re: HP keyboard, possibility to program "shortcut buttons"?

    David W. Hodgins skrev:
    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:41:39 -0500, Roger wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I am using KDE, but the only thing I can see in the control-panel is
    >> key-repetition choises and so on, no additives for extra keys.

    > In kcontrol, select "Regional & Accessibility", then "Keyboard Shortcuts".
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Hi and thanks for the advice,I found the page you referred me to, still
    no sign of any signal from the keys when I press them though, oh well, I
    am giving up now, it was not a matter of great importance, but it would
    have been fun if I could have got the keys to work. thanks to all for
    good advices.

    All the best
    Roger

    --
    Mandriva Linux 2008 (Linuxcounter #432950)

    MSI K8TM, 1,0 Gb Memory, AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU
    ATI Sapphire Radeon X1600
    Be against others the way
    you want to be treated yourself

+ Reply to Thread