    Tony van der Hoff | mailto:news_0711@vanderhoff.org
    Buckinghamshire, England

  2. Re: 2008.0 PP on CD

    On 2008-01-10, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
    > Does anyone know whether Mandriva Club will ever make 2008.0 PWP available
    > for download on CD as an alternative to DVD?
    >
    > I can't boot any of my machines off DVD, so I've been waiting patiently for
    > CDs to be released. I'm getting the impression that's not going to happen.

    One option is to copy the DVD image to a partition that is
    not going to be formatted during the installation, burn
    "boot.iso" to a CD, boot from the CD, and choose "hard disk
    install" as the installation method. I _prefer_ that
    method, because it's much faster than from CD and avoids
    risk of a flaky CD drive will bomb out during isntallation.

    NFS installation is also an option of you have an NFS server
    that can serve the DVD image.

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: 2008.0 PP on CD

    On 10 Jan at 18:17 "Robert M. Riches Jr." wrote in
    message

    > On 2008-01-10, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
    > > Does anyone know whether Mandriva Club will ever make 2008.0 PWP
    > > available for download on CD as an alternative to DVD?
    >>
    > > I can't boot any of my machines off DVD, so I've been waiting patiently
    > > for CDs to be released. I'm getting the impression that's not going to
    > > happen.

    I'm truly grateful for everyone's very useful suggestiond, and maybe I'll
    adopt one of them, or just maybe I'll go for a Debian "network install" over
    the internet, which seems quite attractive, if it can do that unattended
    overnight.

    What I was trying to establish was in my question; There's been no
    definitive answer, but it looks like the concensus is that MDV have decided
    DVDs is all they'll do. Another nail in their coffin as far as I'm
    concerned. I'm very disappointed with the direction their taking.

    > One option is to copy the DVD image to a partition that is not going to be
    > formatted during the installation, burn "boot.iso" to a CD, boot from the
    > CD, and choose "hard disk install" as the installation method. I _prefer_
    > that method, because it's much faster than from CD and avoids risk of a
    > flaky CD drive will bomb out during isntallation.

    Yep, that's a good idea. Where does 'boot.iso' come from?
    I guess I've got 12GB avaiable on /home, but that's on sdb1, my second
    drive. Would hard disk install run from there?

    > NFS installation is also an option of you have an NFS server that can
    > serve the DVD image.

    Not if it's the NFS server that you're hoping to rebuild

    Cheers, Tony
    --
    Tony van der Hoff | mailto:news_0711@vanderhoff.org
    Buckinghamshire, England

  4. Re: 2008.0 PP on CD

    Tony van der Hoff wrote:

    > On 10 Jan at 18:17 "Robert M. Riches Jr."
    > wrote in message
    >

    >> On 2008-01-10, Tony van der Hoff
    >> wrote:
    >> > Does anyone know whether Mandriva Club will ever make 2008.0
    >> > PWP available for download on CD as an alternative to DVD?
    >>>
    >> > I can't boot any of my machines off DVD, so I've been
    >> > waiting patiently for CDs to be released. I'm getting the
    >> > impression that's not going to happen.

    > I'm truly grateful for everyone's very useful suggestiond, and
    > maybe I'll adopt one of them, or just maybe I'll go for a
    > Debian "network install" over the internet, which seems quite
    > attractive, if it can do that unattended overnight.
    >
    > What I was trying to establish was in my question; There's been
    > no definitive answer, but it looks like the concensus is that
    > MDV have decided DVDs is all they'll do. Another nail in their
    > coffin as far as I'm concerned. I'm very disappointed with the
    > direction their taking.
    >
    >> One option is to copy the DVD image to a partition that is not
    >> going to be formatted during the installation, burn "boot.iso"
    >> to a CD, boot from the
    >> CD, and choose "hard disk install" as the installation method.
    >> I _prefer_ that method, because it's much faster than from CD
    >> and avoids risk of a flaky CD drive will bomb out during
    >> isntallation.
    >>

    > Yep, that's a good idea. Where does 'boot.iso' come from?
    > I guess I've got 12GB avaiable on /home, but that's on sdb1, my
    > second drive. Would hard disk install run from there?
    >
    >> NFS installation is also an option of you have an NFS server
    >> that can serve the DVD image.
    >>

    > Not if it's the NFS server that you're hoping to rebuild
    >
    > Cheers, Tony

    Hi

    Here are some other ideas:
    1. You can also do a network install of mandriva of course.

    2. I think it is just the powerpack that is dvd-only. But why not
    just d/l and install from the 3-CD set? Or even the live
    single-CD 'One' version? Now that all the non-free stuff in the
    distro is available on the public repositories, and the rest on
    plf as ever, you only need to buy the PWP if you need commercial
    stuff like Cedega or LinDVD.

    The 'One' version (daft name) does tend to install a lot of stuff
    that's not needed, as a by-product of all the hardware detection
    routines so the 3-cd Free set is usually preferred.

    3. I don't agree with everything mandriva does but overall I like
    the way they are going. The current version 2008.0 and 2007.1
    before it have pulled me back from defecting full-time to
    pclinuxos which now seems clunky and off the pace.

    In particular the updates applet now works, so does setting up
    sources in the control centre, and so does updating kernels and
    kernel sources. Plus the revised repository structure is logical
    and works well.

    The support forums in the (poorly-named) 'club' are free - paid
    membership has been ended. There is no longer a delay between
    releasing distros to the 'club' and everyone else. And so on -
    they really have raised their game and yet still remain the only
    one of the main 'commercial' distros to develop everything
    completely GPL - suse, redhat, even ubuntu, all rely on
    proprietary development, management or installation tools to
    gain shareholder value. All the 'drak'tols and documentation are
    GPL and I really admire mandriva for sticking to the Free
    Software ideals through thick and thin.

    The new release manager is, frankly, doing a much better job than
    the previous person and quality control of the releases seems
    much better. Even the current alpha release of 2008.1 from
    cooker is very stable and developing rapidly - I use it daily.

    Regards
    Syd

  5. Re: 2008.0 PP on CD

    On 2008-01-10, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
    > On 10 Jan at 18:17 "Robert M. Riches Jr." wrote in
    > message
    >
    >> On 2008-01-10, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
    >> > Does anyone know whether Mandriva Club will ever make 2008.0 PWP
    >> > available for download on CD as an alternative to DVD?
    >>>
    >> > I can't boot any of my machines off DVD, so I've been waiting patiently
    >> > for CDs to be released. I'm getting the impression that's not going to
    >> > happen.

    > I'm truly grateful for everyone's very useful suggestiond, and maybe I'll
    > adopt one of them, or just maybe I'll go for a Debian "network install" over
    > the internet, which seems quite attractive, if it can do that unattended
    > overnight.

    As another poster has suggested, Mandriva can be installed
    over a network.

    > What I was trying to establish was in my question; There's been no
    > definitive answer, but it looks like the concensus is that MDV have decided
    > DVDs is all they'll do. Another nail in their coffin as far as I'm
    > concerned. I'm very disappointed with the direction their taking.
    >
    >> One option is to copy the DVD image to a partition that is not going to be
    >> formatted during the installation, burn "boot.iso" to a CD, boot from the
    >> CD, and choose "hard disk install" as the installation method. I _prefer_
    >> that method, because it's much faster than from CD and avoids risk of a
    >> flaky CD drive will bomb out during isntallation.
    >>

    > Yep, that's a good idea. Where does 'boot.iso' come from?

    It's on the CD or DVD image. Mount the image with loopback
    and pull out the file. On my 2008.0 "free" DVD image, it's
    in i586/install/images/boot.iso and may be at a similar path
    on your DVD image.

    > I guess I've got 12GB avaiable on /home, but that's on sdb1, my second
    > drive. Would hard disk install run from there?

    Sure. On my primary machine, I have several partitions
    scattered across two physical disks. With Linux, that's not
    a problem.

    >> NFS installation is also an option of you have an NFS server that can
    >> serve the DVD image.
    >>

    > Not if it's the NFS server that you're hoping to rebuild

    Some options: Make another machine into a temporary NFS
    server; Instead of NFS, use FTP pointed at a Mandriva
    mirror; use hard disk install on a disk local to the server.

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  6. Re: 2008.0 PP on CD

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:41:59 +0000, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

    >> > I can't boot any of my machines off DVD, so I've been waiting
    >> > patiently for CDs to be released. I'm getting the impression that's
    >> > not going to happen.

    > I'm truly grateful for everyone's very useful suggestiond, and maybe
    > I'll adopt one of them, or just maybe I'll go for a Debian "network
    > install" over the internet, which seems quite attractive, if it can do
    > that unattended overnight.

    If you go for debian then you can download cd isos. If you look at the
    debian website you will see that there are a good many options for
    download.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l