Haupauge Nova-t 500 Dig card - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Haupauge Nova-t 500 Dig card - Mandriva ; Hello All! Has anyone installed this card on mdv 2007.1 or 2008.0? If so what did you do (exactly please) as I wish to use it with mythtv. Vince...

  1. Haupauge Nova-t 500 Dig card

    Hello All!

    Has anyone installed this card on mdv 2007.1 or 2008.0?

    If so what did you do (exactly please) as I wish to use it with mythtv.

    Vince

  2. Re: Haupauge Nova-t 500 Dig card

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 00:37:22 +0000, Vince Coen wrote:

    > Has anyone installed this card on mdv 2007.1 or 2008.0?

    It appears someone has.

    > If so what did you do (exactly please) as I wish to use it with mythtv.

    They have these new websites out called search engines. You should try one.

    1-10 of 48,100 for muythtv nova - t (About) - 0.14 sec

    and 2nd in list= Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500 PCI - MythTV

    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php...Nova-T_500_PCI

  3. Re: Haupauge Nova-t 500 Dig card

    Hello Wes!

    09 Jan 08 06:09, Wes Newell wrote to All:

    WN> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 00:37:22 +0000, Vince Coen wrote:

    >> Has anyone installed this card on mdv 2007.1 or 2008.0?
    >>

    WN> It appears someone has.

    >> If so what did you do (exactly please) as I wish to use it with
    >> mythtv.
    >>

    WN> They have these new websites out called search engines. You should try
    WN> one.

    WN> 1-10 of 48,100 for muythtv nova - t (About) - 0.14 sec

    WN> and 2nd in list= Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500 PCI - MythTV

    WN> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php...Nova-T_500_PCI

    WN> --
    WN> Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    WN> My Tivo Experience http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/tivo.htm
    WN> Tivo HD/S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    WN> AMD cpu help http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php

    Not quite all relate to other distros (mostly older) with no reference to
    Mandriva releases.

    Vince

  4. Re: Haupauge Nova-t 500 Dig card

    Vince Coen wrote:

    > Hello All!
    >
    > Has anyone installed this card on mdv 2007.1 or 2008.0?
    >
    > If so what did you do (exactly please) as I wish to use it with mythtv.
    >

    > Vince

    I have one. According to the link you were given, model 289 is known to have
    worked. The model number is on the box. Mine is a model 280 and although
    MythTV's setup, backend and front end come up burt I cannot get live TV.
    The logs do not convey anything helpful either.

    I am hoping some new info will come along in due course. Sorry to be
    negative.

    Alan

  5. Re: Haupauge Nova-t 500 Dig card

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:13:01 +0000, Vince Coen wrote:

    > 10 Jan 08 11:14, Alan Secker wrote to All:
    >
    > >> Has anyone installed this card on mdv 2007.1 or 2008.0?
    > >> If so what did you do (exactly please) as I wish to use it with
    > >> mythtv.

    > AS> I have one. According to the link you were given, model 289 is
    > known AS> to have worked. The model number is on the box. Mine is a
    > model 280 AS> and although MythTV's setup, backend and front end come
    > up burt I AS> cannot get live TV. The logs do not convey anything
    > helpful either.
    >
    > Just to make more interesting my model says 287 on the box.
    >
    > That said the links given and yes I had looked at these previously did
    > not cover working with Mandriva let alone the current releases ie 2007.1
    > and 2008. What they do cover is Fedora core v3 & v4.
    >
    > This is the reason I asked here to see if anyone had installed the
    > Nova-t 500 card in a mandriva distro.

    Some cards require firmware files be installed before they actually work.
    The ones I use are like that. Without the file on the system, the card
    appears to be functioning properly when you load the driver, but they
    never give a picture. The dvb interfaxe is set up in /dev/dvb etc.
    Distribution shouldn't matter, just kernel version. Check the kernel
    source docs to see what driver is needed for the card. then make sure your
    kernel has that driver compiled either into the kernel or as a module and
    load it. Another thing you can do is load the kernel source if you don't
    have it already and then run make xconfig on it and check the dvb support
    for the nova-t support. And make use of a search engine. As an example;

    1-10 of 252,000 for nova - t mandriva (About) - 0.14 sec

    1-10 of 1,580,000 for nova t firmware (About) - 0.19 sec

    Which btw will tell you a firmware file is required. And everything you
    need to know about to get the card to work should be in this link. Which
    also says you need a firmware file installed.

    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php...Nova-T_500_PCI

    http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Ha...nTV-NOVA-T-500

    Now the second line in this one is this;
    It is natively supported under Linux since kernel 2.6.19.
    So 2008 should have suuport for it, IF, Mandriva compiled it into the
    kernel they compiled, and IF you have the firmware file instaalled on your
    system. I don't know what kernel 2007.1 used, but you can always upgrade
    the kernel. I used 2.6.20 kernel from kernel.org on 2005LE until I finally
    upgrade the 2008. I hope this info helps.

  6. Re: Haupauge Nova-t 500 Dig card

    Hello Alan!

    10 Jan 08 11:14, Alan Secker wrote to All:

    >> Has anyone installed this card on mdv 2007.1 or 2008.0?
    >>
    >> If so what did you do (exactly please) as I wish to use it with
    >> mythtv.

    AS> I have one. According to the link you were given, model 289 is known
    AS> to have worked. The model number is on the box. Mine is a model 280
    AS> and although MythTV's setup, backend and front end come up burt I
    AS> cannot get live TV. The logs do not convey anything helpful either.

    Just to make more interesting my model says 287 on the box.

    That said the links given and yes I had looked at these previously did not
    cover working with Mandriva let alone the current releases ie 2007.1 and 2008.
    What they do cover is Fedora core v3 & v4.

    This is the reason I asked here to see if anyone had installed the Nova-t 500
    card in a mandriva distro.

    Vince

  7. Re: Haupauge Nova-t 500 Dig card

    Wes Newell wrote:

> [...]

    /wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-T-500

    > Now the second line in this one is this;
    > It is natively supported under Linux since kernel 2.6.19.
    > So 2008 should have suuport for it, IF, Mandriva compiled it into the
    > kernel they compiled, and IF you have the firmware file instaalled on your
    > system. I don't know what kernel 2007.1 used, but you can always upgrade
    > the kernel. I used 2.6.20 kernel from kernel.org on 2005LE until I finally
    > upgrade the 2008. I hope this info helps.

    O.K. I am using kernel 2.6.22.9-1mdvCustom

    Part of the dmesg report showsa this:

    dib0700: loaded with support for 2 different device-types
    dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T' in cold state, will try
    to load a firmware
    dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-dib0700-01.fw'
    dib0700: firmware started successfully.
    dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T' in warm state.
    dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software
    demuxer.
    DVB: registering new adapter (Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T).
    DVB: registering frontend 0 (DiBcom 3000MC/P)...
    MT2060: successfully identified (IF1 = 1220)
    dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software
    demuxer.
    DVB: registering new adapter (Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T).
    DVB: registering frontend 1 (DiBcom 3000MC/P)...
    MT2060: successfully identified (IF1 = 1220)
    dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T successfully initialized and
    connected.

    On the face of it, it everything looks fine, MythTV comes up and the EPG
    works yet I cannot get live TV!

    What does your dmesg show?

  8. Re: Haupauge Nova-t 500 Dig card

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:28:55 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:

    > /wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-T-500
    >>
    >> Now the second line in this one is this; It is natively supported under
    >> Linux since kernel 2.6.19. So 2008 should have suuport for it, IF,
    >> Mandriva compiled it into the kernel they compiled, and IF you have the
    >> firmware file instaalled on your system. I don't know what kernel
    >> 2007.1 used, but you can always upgrade the kernel. I used 2.6.20
    >> kernel from kernel.org on 2005LE until I finally upgrade the 2008. I
    >> hope this info helps.
    >>

    > O.K. I am using kernel 2.6.22.9-1mdvCustom
    >
    > Part of the dmesg report showsa this:
    >
    > dib0700: loaded with support for 2 different device-types dvb-usb: found
    > a 'Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T' in cold state, will try to load a
    > firmware
    > dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-dib0700-01.fw' dib0700:
    > firmware started successfully. dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T 500
    > Dual DVB-T' in warm state. dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2
    > transport stream to the software demuxer.
    > DVB: registering new adapter (Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T). DVB:
    > registering frontend 0 (DiBcom 3000MC/P)... MT2060: successfully
    > identified (IF1 = 1220) dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport
    > stream to the software demuxer.
    > DVB: registering new adapter (Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T). DVB:
    > registering frontend 1 (DiBcom 3000MC/P)... MT2060: successfully
    > identified (IF1 = 1220) dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T
    > successfully initialized and connected.
    >
    > On the face of it, it everything looks fine, MythTV comes up and the EPG
    > works yet I cannot get live TV!
    >
    > What does your dmesg show?

    Since I don't have a card like yours so it's different with the exception
    of registering the frontends. And that's all that really counts. I don't
    know anything about DVB-T except it uses the same structure as ATSC when
    it comes to registering the cards. I'm not even sure if you use a sat dish
    or regular antenna with DVB-T. Have you tried recording a show and then
    see if you can play it. I've seen that before using XvMC. Have you loaded
    the custom drivers for you video card? Do that before doing anything else.
    Then try changing the frontend playback settings and turn off
    deinterlacing and use the standard libmpeg filter. And I'm only assuming
    DVB-T is actually mpeg2 content. If not then you're on your own and need
    to check with someone that actually uses dvb-t. All I can tell you is that
    your card appears to be registering both tuners correctly and the firmware
    appears to be loading correctly. And if you're getting EIT from mythtv and
    the data is in the guide, then it's a video driver or playback setting
    problem more than likely (or both).

  9. Re: Haupauge Nova-t 500 Dig card

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > On the face of it, it everything looks fine, MythTV comes up and the EPG
    > works yet I cannot get live TV!

    Well it looks like everything is ok, have you tried kaffeine to view live
    tv. I use a Nova-T and kaffeine is the best thing since sliced bread as far
    as I'm concerned

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

  10. Re: Haupauge Nova-t 500 Dig card

    sid wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >

    >> On the face of it, it everything looks fine, MythTV comes up and the EPG
    >> works yet I cannot get live TV!

    > Well it looks like everything is ok, have you tried kaffeine to view live
    > tv. I use a Nova-T and kaffeine is the best thing since sliced bread as
    > far as I'm concerned

    I never thought of trying Kaffeine for TV. Amazing! Perfect pictures but the
    sound is very boxy. Any suggestions for improving it? Anyway thanks for
    the hint.

    This suggests that the original problem lies with MythTV (which I like) and
    not with firmware nor drivers.

    Thanks again.

    Alan

  11. Re: Haupauge Nova-t 500 Dig card

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:21:36 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    > I never thought of trying Kaffeine for TV. Amazing! Perfect pictures but
    > the sound is very boxy. Any suggestions for improving it? Anyway thanks
    > for the hint.
    >
    > This suggests that the original problem lies with MythTV (which I like)
    > and not with firmware nor drivers.

    The myth problem will be in the frontend playback settings.

  12. Re: Haupauge Nova-t 500 Dig card

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > sid wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>

    >>> On the face of it, it everything looks fine, MythTV comes up and the EPG
    >>> works yet I cannot get live TV!

    >> Well it looks like everything is ok, have you tried kaffeine to view live
    >> tv. I use a Nova-T and kaffeine is the best thing since sliced bread as
    >> far as I'm concerned
    >>

    > I never thought of trying Kaffeine for TV. Amazing! Perfect pictures but
    > the
    > sound is very boxy. Any suggestions for improving it? Anyway thanks for
    > the hint.
    >
    > This suggests that the original problem lies with MythTV (which I like)
    > and not with firmware nor drivers.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Alan

    I've improved the sound by reducing the level at one of the optional points
    but this will undoubtedly affect something else.

+ Reply to Thread