Application for Hauppauge PVR-500 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Application for Hauppauge PVR-500 - Mandriva ; Originally I had a very basic Hauppauge WinTV Express in my machine and things like kdetv and xawtv worked with it, but capturing was a pain. I could capture but after some time (10 - 15 min. sometimes) the picture ...

  1. Application for Hauppauge PVR-500

    Originally I had a very basic Hauppauge WinTV Express in my machine and
    things like kdetv and xawtv worked with it, but capturing was a pain. I
    could capture but after some time (10 - 15 min. sometimes) the picture got
    jumpy, and I had to do capturing from VHS tapes in small bits to have
    something I could work further with.

    My son in law gave me a Hauppauge PVR-500 that he had laying around, and
    with reading and searching on ivtv, I've got now a capturing running at
    this moment from the CLI (cat /dev/video0 > some file)
    But I cann't get none of the video GUI things to work on this. I read
    somewhere that this is normal for kdetv and xawtv, because the card outputs
    mpeg, but I didn't have any success with mplayer neither. And things like
    VLC....well, I just get drowned in all the options...

    Is there something simple that lets me view streams from that card?

    Herman Viaene
    --
    Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

    Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)

  2. Re: Application for Hauppauge PVR-500

    On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 09:44:06 -0500, wrote:

    > My son in law gave me a Hauppauge PVR-500 that he had laying around, and

    See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_PVR-500
    for mythtv setup.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Application for Hauppauge PVR-500

    On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 15:44:06 +0100, herman.viaene wrote:

    > Originally I had a very basic Hauppauge WinTV Express in my machine and
    > things like kdetv and xawtv worked with it, but capturing was a pain. I
    > could capture but after some time (10 - 15 min. sometimes) the picture
    > got jumpy, and I had to do capturing from VHS tapes in small bits to
    > have something I could work further with.
    >
    > My son in law gave me a Hauppauge PVR-500 that he had laying around,
    > and with reading and searching on ivtv, I've got now a capturing running
    > at this moment from the CLI (cat /dev/video0 > some file) But I cann't
    > get none of the video GUI things to work on this. I read somewhere that
    > this is normal for kdetv and xawtv, because the card outputs mpeg, but I
    > didn't have any success with mplayer neither. And things like
    > VLC....well, I just get drowned in all the options...
    >
    > Is there something simple that lets me view streams from that card?

    I'm not sure what you're trying to do but mythtv supports the pvr-500. It
    isn't simple though. Freevo and vdr probably do too. If you want an
    unencoded stream, then you need to turn the encoder off on the pvr-500. I
    have no idea how to do that. All 6 of my tuner cards are ATSC (digital)
    only. Assuming your in the US, you realize that all analog (NTSC) TV
    broadcast die Feb. 2009.

  4. Re: Application for Hauppauge PVR-500

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 15:44:06 +0100, herman.viaene wrote:
    >
    >> Originally I had a very basic Hauppauge WinTV Express in my machine and
    >> things like kdetv and xawtv worked with it, but capturing was a pain. I
    >> could capture but after some time (10 - 15 min. sometimes) the picture
    >> got jumpy, and I had to do capturing from VHS tapes in small bits to
    >> have something I could work further with.
    >>
    >> My son in law gave me a Hauppauge PVR-500 that he had laying around,
    >> and with reading and searching on ivtv, I've got now a capturing running
    >> at this moment from the CLI (cat /dev/video0 > some file) But I cann't
    >> get none of the video GUI things to work on this. I read somewhere that
    >> this is normal for kdetv and xawtv, because the card outputs mpeg, but I
    >> didn't have any success with mplayer neither. And things like
    >> VLC....well, I just get drowned in all the options...
    >>
    >> Is there something simple that lets me view streams from that card?
    >>

    > I'm not sure what you're trying to do but mythtv supports the pvr-500. It
    > isn't simple though. Freevo and vdr probably do too.

    I'll try these out, tx.

    > If you want an
    > unencoded stream, then you need to turn the encoder off on the pvr-500. I
    > have no idea how to do that. All 6 of my tuner cards are ATSC (digital)
    > only. Assuming your in the US, you realize that all analog (NTSC) TV
    > broadcast die Feb. 2009.

    I'm from Belgium. And I'm using the card to capture VHS-tapes (family stuff)
    to put the contents on DVD. I tried mythtv more than a year ago, but found
    it such an overkill for what I want, that I removed it again.

    BTW, Public analog broadcast will also stop this year here.

    Herman

    --
    Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

    Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)

+ Reply to Thread