Alternatives for sound - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Alternatives for sound - Mandriva ; I have a Gigabyte S-series mobo with nvidia/realtek sound. For dictation, I use a USB headset. The only way I can switch between the two under Mdv 2008 and earlier is to set the soundcard as "auto" in BIOS/Integrated Peripherals ...

  1. Alternatives for sound

    I have a Gigabyte S-series mobo with nvidia/realtek sound. For dictation, I
    use a USB headset.

    The only way I can switch between the two under Mdv 2008 and earlier is to
    set the soundcard as "auto" in BIOS/Integrated Peripherals to use it, and
    as "disabled" when I want the headset. Windows gives me the choice
    under "auto".

    The issue under Linux seems to be loading the correct kernel modules during
    bootup. Is there a more convenient alternative? One way I can think of is
    a pair of scripts to swap the modules as root user. I have heard something
    about setting the order with ALSA, but it sounds as though it would still
    need a reboot.

    Doug.

  2. Re: Alternatives for sound

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 08:32:05 -0500, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > The issue under Linux seems to be loading the correct kernel modules during
    > bootup. Is there a more convenient alternative? One way I can think of is
    > a pair of scripts to swap the modules as root user. I have heard something
    > about setting the order with ALSA, but it sounds as though it would still
    > need a reboot.

    I should be just a matter of selecting which device you want to use, using
    kmix, aumix, etc.

    If it does require unloading/loading of modules, the scripts would have
    to stop any program using /dev/snd, then the sound service, then
    running modprobe -r, for each already loaded module, then modprobe the
    other modules, and then restart the sound service. A bit of a pain to
    do, and shouldn't be needed, but is possible.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Alternatives for sound

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 08:32:05 -0500, Doug Laidlaw
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The issue under Linux seems to be loading the correct kernel modules
    >> during
    >> bootup. Is there a more convenient alternative? One way I can think of
    >> is
    >> a pair of scripts to swap the modules as root user. I have heard
    >> something about setting the order with ALSA, but it sounds as though it
    >> would still need a reboot.

    > I should be just a matter of selecting which device you want to use, using
    > kmix, aumix, etc.
    >
    > If it does require unloading/loading of modules, the scripts would have
    > to stop any program using /dev/snd, then the sound service, then
    > running modprobe -r, for each already loaded module, then modprobe the
    > other modules, and then restart the sound service. A bit of a pain to
    > do, and shouldn't be needed, but is possible.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks David. With the BIOS set to "auto" and with the headset plugged in,
    both drivers are available from Kmix - theoretically. The problem seems to
    be that the USB headset needs OSS emulation, and that seems to get in the
    way of the Nvidia driver. I haven't checked with Knoppix recently.
    Knoppix is usually pretty good with detecting audio, but it was no better
    last time I looked.

    Doug.

+ Reply to Thread