Installing MAndriva on an USB stick ? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Installing MAndriva on an USB stick ? - Mandriva ; Hi everyone, is it possible to install Mandriva2008 on an usb memory stick ? That would be handy... Thanks. Vincent...

  1. Installing MAndriva on an USB stick ?

    Hi everyone,

    is it possible to install Mandriva2008 on an usb memory stick ?

    That would be handy...

    Thanks.
    Vincent

  2. Re: Installing MAndriva on an USB stick ?

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 02:56:30 -0800, Vincent M wrote:

    > is it possible to install Mandriva2008 on an usb memory stick ?

    It must be possible, since Mandriva sell it that way as Mandriva Flash.

    You may also enjoy reading some of www.pendrivelinux.com for tips.

  3. Re: Installing MAndriva on an USB stick ?

    Mark South writes:

    >On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 02:56:30 -0800, Vincent M wrote:

    >> is it possible to install Mandriva2008 on an usb memory stick ?

    >It must be possible, since Mandriva sell it that way as Mandriva Flash.

    >You may also enjoy reading some of www.pendrivelinux.com for tips.

    See mcnlinux. they have 2007.1 on a stick, but also say that 2008 have
    changed things significantly so that their old way of writing to a stick no
    longer works in 2008.

  4. Re: Installing MAndriva on an USB stick ?

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 17:06:58 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Mark South writes:
    >
    >>On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 02:56:30 -0800, Vincent M wrote:

    >>> is it possible to install Mandriva2008 on an usb memory stick ?

    >>It must be possible, since Mandriva sell it that way as Mandriva Flash.

    >>You may also enjoy reading some of www.pendrivelinux.com for tips.

    > See mcnlinux. they have 2007.1 on a stick, but also say that 2008 have
    > changed things significantly so that their old way of writing to a stick
    > no longer works in 2008.

    Well, I'm not sure why you are dissenting, because Mandriva have this one
    click from their front page:

    http://www.mandriva.com/en/product/mandriva-flash-2008

    So it must be possible to get 2008 on a flash drive, just as I stated
    above.

  5. Re: Installing MAndriva on an USB stick ?

    Mark South writes:

    >On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 17:06:58 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    >> Mark South writes:

    >>>It must be possible, since Mandriva sell it that way as Mandriva Flash.

    >>>You may also enjoy reading some of www.pendrivelinux.com for tips.

    >> See mcnlinux. they have 2007.1 on a stick, but also say that 2008 have
    >> changed things significantly so that their old way of writing to a stick
    >> no longer works in 2008.

    >Well, I'm not sure why you are dissenting, because Mandriva have this one
    >click from their front page:

    Sorry, it is MCNlive (www.mcnlive.org) that I was discussing. And I was not
    dissenting, I was pointing out other options.

    However it appears that the lead on the MCNLive project has just retired
    and so far noone else has picked up the slack. The problem is that Mandriva
    changes the way it does things each and every version. So, they do have a
    very nice version of 2007.1 available ("Toronto") but 2008 may never occur.

    Mandriva does have Mandriva One, but a) installing it to a stick is non
    trivial ( they sell their stick installable version with a stick), b) I do
    not know how you can change things-- ie add new programs you, not they,
    want on the stick. For example you may not want OOffice on your stick, but
    do want tex. AFAIK with Mandriva One you are SOOL. They do not tell you how
    you can do that. With MCNLive there is a standard way of doing that.

    >http://www.mandriva.com/en/product/mandriva-flash-2008

    >So it must be possible to get 2008 on a flash drive, just as I stated
    >above.

    Sure it is. You pay them they send it to you. And you meekly accept exactly
    what they have given you.

  6. Re: Installing MAndriva on an USB stick ?

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 18:22:20 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    >>http://www.mandriva.com/en/product/mandriva-flash-2008

    >>So it must be possible to get 2008 on a flash drive, just as I stated
    >>above.

    > Sure it is. You pay them they send it to you. And you meekly accept
    > exactly what they have given you.

    Do you agree that the fact of someone having done X demonstrates that X
    is possible?

    I said nothing about whether it was cheap, easy, or rapid to do it,
    simply that -- since Mandriva themselves manage to do it -- that there
    must be a way. The demise or otherwise of MCNlive in no way affects that
    conclusion. Science shows us how to be objective about facts, as you of
    all people here should know.

    By pointing the OP to pendrivelinux.com, I was trying to get them to do a
    little research and realise that there are several ways of getting flash/
    pen drives to boot Linux.

  7. Re: Installing MAndriva on an USB stick ?

    Mark South writes:

    >On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 18:22:20 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    >>>http://www.mandriva.com/en/product/mandriva-flash-2008

    >>>So it must be possible to get 2008 on a flash drive, just as I stated
    >>>above.

    >> Sure it is. You pay them they send it to you. And you meekly accept
    >> exactly what they have given you.

    >Do you agree that the fact of someone having done X demonstrates that X
    >is possible?

    Of course it is possible. It is possible to rewrite all of Windows from
    scratch. It has been done. But if you were someone wanting Windows that
    possiblity is useless.

    >I said nothing about whether it was cheap, easy, or rapid to do it,
    >simply that -- since Mandriva themselves manage to do it -- that there
    >must be a way. The demise or otherwise of MCNlive in no way affects that
    >conclusion. Science shows us how to be objective about facts, as you of
    >all people here should know.

    This sounds like that old joke "hangglider pilot to person leaning out of
    window of skyscraper-- "Where am I?." "Here". "Ah that must be Microsoft--
    the answer is completely correct and completely useless"

    >By pointing the OP to pendrivelinux.com, I was trying to get them to do a
    >little research and realise that there are several ways of getting flash/
    >pen drives to boot Linux.

    The problem is that the initrd etc have changed on recent linux versions,
    and thus the ways of getting linux onto a pendrive that used to work, no
    longer do so. Thus, while MCNLive worked wonderfully to install Mandriva
    2007.1, they no longer work for 2008. I would assume that similar problems
    would beset other distros as well, since there is nothing that special
    about the way Mandriva boots up.

+ Reply to Thread