CPU Speed Half In Linux - Mandriva

This is a discussion on CPU Speed Half In Linux - Mandriva ; Les B. Labbauf wrote: > On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 17:01:32 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote: > > >>On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 14:12:00 -0500, Evil Bastard wrote: >> >> >>>I have tried adding that applet. It doesn't add properly, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: CPU Speed Half In Linux

  1. Re: CPU Speed Half In Linux

    Les B. Labbauf wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 17:01:32 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >
    >>On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 14:12:00 -0500, Evil Bastard wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>I have tried adding that applet. It doesn't add properly, ie; no
    >>>icon, just a blank bar about 1/16 inch thick.. When I do left click
    >>>and select preferences, I can change to performance. But again, the
    >>>applet does not install properly on the panel, and does nothing when I
    >>>click on it

    >>
    >>The original article stated the problem is cross distribution, so I
    >>doubt a reinstall would help.

    >
    >
    > Well know that I think about it, when I was running the UBUNTU Live boot
    > CD, I was looking at the information in /proc/cpuinfo. I am assuming a
    > live CD would not modify the contents of this file.


    That would be the second wrong assumption -- the first being that the
    file /proc/cpuinfo exists! The "files" under /proc are actually
    interfaces to kernel information, represented as files because
    "everything is a file". So there is nothing on disc corresponding to
    /proc/cpuinfo for the live CD to modify or not to modify; it will have
    measured the CPU speed as best it can, and reading /proc/cpuinfo will
    cause the measured speed to be made available to you.

    Frank

  2. Re: CPU Speed Half In Linux

    On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:28:37 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 17:36:57 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 14:12:00 -0500, Evil Bastard wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have tried adding that applet. It doesn't add properly, ie; no
    >>> icon, just a blank bar about 1/16 inch thick.. When I do left click
    >>> and select preferences, I can change to performance. But again, the
    >>> applet does not install properly on the panel, and does nothing whenI
    >>> click on it

    >>
    >> Did some more digging. As per
    >> http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=36050
    >> try adding
    >> acpi-cpufreq
    >> as the first line of /etc/modprobe.preload.d/cpufreq
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    >
    > That file doesn't exist, should it be created?


    Took a while to find out how that file gets created. Turns out it is created
    by harddrake.

    Try running "/usr/share/harddrake/service_harddrake --force", as root. It may
    take a minute or two. On my system, when I tried running it, it did theequivalent
    of pressing alt+ctrl+f1, so I had to press alt+ctrl+f7, to get back to the
    window session.

    See if that creates the above file. If it does, try rebooting, to see if the
    gnome applet will now show/change the frequency. If it still doesn't, try
    adding the acpi-cpufreq, as the first module listed in the file.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins.

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  3. Re: CPU Speed Half In Linux

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 17:47:23 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:28:37 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 17:36:57 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 14:12:00 -0500, Evil Bastard wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I have tried adding that applet. It doesn't add properly, ie; no
    >>>> icon, just a blank bar about 1/16 inch thick.. When I do left click
    >>>> and select preferences, I can change to performance. But again, the
    >>>> applet does not install properly on the panel, and does nothing when I
    >>>> click on it
    >>>
    >>> Did some more digging. As per
    >>> http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=36050
    >>> try adding
    >>> acpi-cpufreq
    >>> as the first line of /etc/modprobe.preload.d/cpufreq
    >>>
    >>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>>

    >>
    >> That file doesn't exist, should it be created?

    >
    > Took a while to find out how that file gets created. Turns out it is created
    > by harddrake.
    >
    > Try running "/usr/share/harddrake/service_harddrake --force", as root. It may
    > take a minute or two. On my system, when I tried running it, it did the equivalent
    > of pressing alt+ctrl+f1, so I had to press alt+ctrl+f7, to get back to the
    > window session.
    >
    > See if that creates the above file. If it does, try rebooting, to see if the
    > gnome applet will now show/change the frequency. If it still doesn't, try
    > adding the acpi-cpufreq, as the first module listed in the file.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins.
    >


    That appears to have fixed it cat /proc/cpuinfo now reports
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 15
    model : 4
    model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
    stepping : 8
    cpu MHz : 1800.000
    cache size : 1024 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow up ts fid vid ttp
    bogomips : 3595.56


    The cpu applet now is working properly on gnome-panel

    Thanks for the help!

  4. Re: CPU Speed Half In Linux

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 18:49:44 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > The cpu applet now is working properly on gnome-panel
    > Thanks for the help!


    You're welcome. Just curious, do you have harddrake running at bootup? I
    would have expected it to create the /etc/modprobe.d/cpufreq file for you,
    without having to manually force the creation.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  5. Re: CPU Speed Half In Linux

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:09:26 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 18:49:44 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:
    >
    >> The cpu applet now is working properly on gnome-panel
    >> Thanks for the help!

    >
    > You're welcome. Just curious, do you have harddrake running at bootup? I
    > would have expected it to create the /etc/modprobe.d/cpufreq file for you,
    > without having to manually force the creation.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >


    don't know let me check.....Yes it's listed as a system service that is
    running, and runs at boot. Strange.

  6. Re: CPU Speed Half In Linux - SOLVED

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 21:06:46 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > don't know let me check.....Yes it's listed as a system service that is
    > running, and runs at boot. Strange.


    Ok. Weird. For future searchers, the solution was
    Try running "/usr/share/harddrake/service_harddrake --force", as root.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2