Stumped - symbol loockup error: undefined symbol: EVP_idea_cbc - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Stumped - symbol loockup error: undefined symbol: EVP_idea_cbc - Mandriva ; Crashdamage wrote: > My point is, regardless that clearly "Somebody screwed up" there's a > shared library located *outside* of Win4Lin that must still be changed > from before the attempted Firefox3 install, causing the > libcrypto.so.0.9.7 file located *inside* ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Stumped - symbol loockup error: undefined symbol: EVP_idea_cbc

    Crashdamage wrote:
    > My point is, regardless that clearly "Somebody screwed up" there's a
    > shared library located *outside* of Win4Lin that must still be changed
    > from before the attempted Firefox3 install, causing the
    > libcrypto.so.0.9.7 file located *inside* Win4Lin to generate the
    > missing symbol errors. This must be, because the presence of that
    > libcrypto.so file in Win4Lin was harmless before.

    Have you checked the sequence in which the shared
    libraries are searched, past and present?

    It is quite common for "the system" to search libraries
    in one sequence, while specific applications search in
    a different sequence. I am not knowledgable enough on
    this topic to say what the default is, or what file one
    can use to change that, but I know that it can be done.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  2. Re: Stumped - symbol loockup error: undefined symbol: EVP_idea_cbc

    Jim Beard writes:

    > Crashdamage wrote:
    >> My point is, regardless that clearly "Somebody screwed up" there's a
    >> shared library located *outside* of Win4Lin that must still be
    >> changed from before the attempted Firefox3 install, causing the
    >> libcrypto.so.0.9.7 file located *inside* Win4Lin to generate the
    >> missing symbol errors. This must be, because the presence of that
    >> libcrypto.so file in Win4Lin was harmless before.

    > Have you checked the sequence in which the shared
    > libraries are searched, past and present?
    >
    > It is quite common for "the system" to search libraries
    > in one sequence, while specific applications search in
    > a different sequence. I am not knowledgable enough on
    > this topic to say what the default is, or what file one
    > can use to change that, but I know that it can be done.

    Specific applications can alter the search order by
    setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH but I'm not aware of any Linux
    applications that do that.

  3. Re: Stumped - symbol loockup error: undefined symbol: EVP_idea_cbc

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 21:23:01 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

    > Specific applications can alter the search order by
    > setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH but I'm not aware of any Linux
    > applications that do that.

    I've got ...
    # grep -Il "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" /usr/bin/*|wc -l
    46
    and
    # grep -Il "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" /usr/sbin/*
    /usr/sbin/beagle-build-index
    /usr/sbin/beagle-dump-index
    /usr/sbin/beagle-manage-index
    /usr/sbin/run_qtparted

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Stumped - symbol loockup error: undefined symbol: EVP_idea_cbc

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 21:23:01 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:
    >
    >> Specific applications can alter the search order by
    >> setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH but I'm not aware of any Linux
    >> applications that do that.

    > I've got ...
    > # grep -Il "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" /usr/bin/*|wc -l
    > 46
    > and
    > # grep -Il "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" /usr/sbin/*
    > /usr/sbin/beagle-build-index
    > /usr/sbin/beagle-dump-index
    > /usr/sbin/beagle-manage-index
    > /usr/sbin/run_qtparted

    Interesting, I've got a lot less:

    [root@home src]# grep -Il "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" /usr/sbin/*
    [root@home src]# grep -Il "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" /sbin/*
    [root@home src]# grep -Il "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" /usr/bin/*
    /usr/bin/firefox
    /usr/bin/kde-build
    /usr/bin/kdesvn-build
    /usr/bin/libtool
    /usr/bin/mozilla
    /usr/bin/netscape
    /usr/bin/opera
    /usr/bin/perlbug
    /usr/bin/unix-lpr.sh
    /usr/bin/VBoxManage
    /usr/bin/VBoxSDL
    /usr/bin/VBoxVRDP
    /usr/bin/VirtualBox
    /usr/bin/vmrun

    The browsers are adding their plugin directories.
    perlbug is just gathering info.

  5. Re: Stumped - symbol loockup error: undefined symbol: EVP_idea_cbc

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:47:31 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

    > Interesting, I've got a lot less:

    Here's my complete list, from /usr/bin ...
    # grep -Il "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" /usr/bin/*
    /usr/bin/acroread
    /usr/bin/beagle-config
    /usr/bin/beagled