Partition manipulation - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Partition manipulation - Mandriva ; I run a dual-boot system with Mandriva 2008 and Windows 98SE. Currently, I have Windows and my Mandriva / partition co-existing on my primary 40 GB drive, and a Windows image sharing space with /home on my 80 GB secondary ...

  1. Partition manipulation

    I run a dual-boot system with Mandriva 2008 and Windows 98SE. Currently,
    I have Windows and my Mandriva / partition co-existing on my primary 40
    GB drive, and a Windows image sharing space with /home on my 80 GB
    secondary drive. Having that Windows image backup has saved Windows from
    itself more times than I like to think about, and the setup has served
    me well over the years.

    Now, however, I've purchased an external USB drive big enough to hold
    all of my internal hard drives' information, and more. My plan is to put
    the Windows backup image onto the external drive(as well as a backup of
    /home), and expand my /home partition to fill the 80 GB internal drive.
    Currently, the Windows image resides on the hdb1 partition, while /home
    is on hdb5. The external drive has been set up, backups have been made,
    and I've now used it enough to know it's reliable.

    Now I admit to knowing little about Linux drive designation and its
    requirements. I've always just let the Mandriva installer enumerate them
    as it wanted to. It would seem at first glance to be a simple matter to
    use Diskdrake to eliminate the hdb1 Windows partition and expand hdb5 -
    but is it that simple? Can the expanded partition retain the hdb5
    designation when it's the only partition on the drive? If not, would
    Diskdrake automagically take care of the redesignation and all the
    details that have to be addressed with the system, or must I muck around
    manually in places where I don't know what I'm doing (probably missing
    something)? Or is there a simpler way to do what I want to do?

    TJ

  2. Re: Partition manipulation

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 09:00:54 -0500, TJ wrote:

    > I run a dual-boot system with Mandriva 2008 and Windows 98SE. Currently,
    > I have Windows and my Mandriva / partition co-existing on my primary 40
    > GB drive, and a Windows image sharing space with /home on my 80 GB
    > secondary drive. Having that Windows image backup has saved Windows from
    > itself more times than I like to think about, and the setup has served
    > me well over the years.
    >
    > Now, however, I've purchased an external USB drive big enough to hold
    > all of my internal hard drives' information, and more. My plan is to put
    > the Windows backup image onto the external drive(as well as a backup of
    > /home), and expand my /home partition to fill the 80 GB internal drive.
    > Currently, the Windows image resides on the hdb1 partition, while /home
    > is on hdb5. The external drive has been set up, backups have been made,
    > and I've now used it enough to know it's reliable.
    >
    > Now I admit to knowing little about Linux drive designation and its
    > requirements. I've always just let the Mandriva installer enumerate them
    > as it wanted to. It would seem at first glance to be a simple matter to
    > use Diskdrake to eliminate the hdb1 Windows partition and expand hdb5 -
    > but is it that simple? Can the expanded partition retain the hdb5
    > designation when it's the only partition on the drive? If not, would
    > Diskdrake automagically take care of the redesignation and all the
    > details that have to be addressed with the system, or must I muck around
    > manually in places where I don't know what I'm doing (probably missing
    > something)? Or is there a simpler way to do what I want to do?
    >
    > TJ

    That should work. If you run something like gparted, you'll find that you
    have at least three partitions on hdb. You have hdb1 and hdb5, but also
    (most likely) hdb2 which is the primary partition in which the hdb5
    extended partition resides. You should at least be able to resize hdb1 to
    a minimal size - possibly eliminate it, I'm not sure. Then resize hdb2 so
    that you can resize hdb5.

  3. Re: Partition manipulation

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 09:00:54 -0500, TJ wrote:

    > and expand my /home partition to fill the 80 GB internal drive.

    Waste of space, may make backup a bear. Not much room if you want to
    make a multi-boot system.

    I have several ~12gig partitions. They get used for hot backup, cd/dvd
    iso generation, used to install new release candidate, new releases,
    other distributions,....

    > Currently, the Windows image resides on the hdb1 partition, while /home
    > is on hdb5. The external drive has been set up, backups have been made,
    > and I've now used it enough to know it's reliable.
    >
    > Now I admit to knowing little about Linux drive designation and its
    > requirements. I've always just let the Mandriva installer enumerate them
    > as it wanted to. It would seem at first glance to be a simple matter to
    > use Diskdrake to eliminate the hdb1 Windows partition and expand hdb5 -
    > but is it that simple?

    Yes, but a waste of 3 partition numbers.
    You move the extened left edge first, then hadb5.

    > Can the expanded partition retain the hdb5
    > designation when it's the only partition on the drive?

    Yes.

    > If not, would
    > Diskdrake automagically take care of the redesignation and all the
    > details that have to be addressed with the system,

    No.

    > or must I muck around
    > manually in places where I don't know what I'm doing (probably missing
    > something)?

    Yes.

    > Or is there a simpler way to do what I want to do?

    My suggestion, Think about what you want, then backup your install,
    verify install media has the files, needed, wipe the drive, and set it
    up like you want it from the git go.

    Here is something to think on

    # cfdisk /dev/sda
    Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)
    sda1 Boot Primary NTFS [^C] 31755.39*
    Pri/Log Free Space 2.42*
    sda5 Logical FAT16 [ ] 1908.27
    sda6 Logical Linux swap / Solaris 1258.47
    sda7 Logical Linux ext3 [accounts] 13415.44
    sda8 Logical Linux ext3 [free_a08] 42500.03
    sda9 Logical Linux ext3 [bk_up] 11416.69
    sda10 Logical Linux ext3 [2008_1] 11350.89
    sda11 Logical Linux ext3 [2007_1] 11293.31
    sda12 Logical Linux ext3 [fc7] 10964.30
    sda13 Logical Linux ext3 [kubu7] 11128.81
    sda14 NC Logical Linux ext3 [2008_0] 12371.31*
    Pri/Log Free Space 31600.56*
    sda2 Primary W95 FAT32 (LBA) 9080.71*
    Primary Free Space 0.49*

    # cfdisk /dev/sda
    Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)
    sdb1 Boot Primary Linux ext3 [local] 91020.95
    sdb2 Primary Linux ext3 [free_b02] 13086.43
    sdb3 Primary Linux ext3 [hotbu] 13464.79
    sdb5 Logical Linux ext3 [fc8] 13004.17
    Logical Free Space 369528.93

  4. Re: Partition manipulation

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 09:00:54 -0500, TJ wrote:

    > Now I admit to knowing little about Linux drive designation and its

    See http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...da2bc436504de?
    and http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...2e36d32292eae?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Partition manipulation

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 09:00:54 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> Now I admit to knowing little about Linux drive designation and its

    > See http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...da2bc436504de?
    > and http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...2e36d32292eae?
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    You guys have given me a lot to think about. I think I'll try just
    expanding the current hdb5 partition to take up the whole disk, as long
    as it will work OK that way for now. Then I'll use it a while and see
    how I like it. By the time Mandriva 2008.1 comes out I'll know what I
    want to do and I'll manipulate things with the 2008.1 installer accordingly.

    TJ

  6. Re: Partition manipulation

    Apparently, Teranews experienced another server problem. I attempted to
    post this some time ago, but I still don't see it here. I'll try again...

    TJ wrote:

    > You guys have given me a lot to think about. I think I'll try just
    > expanding the current hdb5 partition to take up the whole disk, as long
    > as it will work OK that way for now. Then I'll use it a while and see
    > how I like it. By the time Mandriva 2008.1 comes out I'll know what I
    > want to do and I'll manipulate things with the 2008.1 installer
    > accordingly.

    Well, that was a learning experience. "Just expanding the current hdb5
    partition" turned out to be extremely difficult. Nothing I tried to use
    to simply move the partition and then resize it would do the job. They
    all told me there was an error of some kind, or at least a potential
    error. But, after several forays into dead-ends and back alleys, I did
    manage it:

    I eventually realized I had to create a new user, "metoo," based on the
    external drive and mounted somewhere besides /home. Then, rebooted as
    metoo, I eliminated "me," unmounted and deleted /home, and re-created it
    using the whole drive. (now partition hdb1) Then, I re-created "me" and
    rebooted as me and restored the rest of the /home files from the
    external drive backup, rebooting once again to let all my old config
    files take effect. I eliminated metoo and all his folders/files, and set
    the external drive back up to mount when needed.

    Relatively painless, once I decided to do it. Because the external drive
    is nearly as fast as the internal ones, it probably didn't take any
    longer this way than if I had been able to just move and expand the
    partition - maybe less.

    TJ