Change of timezone for 2008-9 ff. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Change of timezone for 2008-9 ff. - Mandriva ; On 11 Oct 2007 Doug Laidlaw wrote: "The news is that from the commencement of summertime in 2008, Victoria, Australia will alter its time zone to agree with Tasmania instead of with NSW/ACT. *Summer time will begin about a month ...

  1. Change of timezone for 2008-9 ff.

    On 11 Oct 2007 Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    "The news is that from the commencement of summertime in 2008, Victoria,
    Australia will alter its time zone to agree with Tasmania instead of with
    NSW/ACT. *Summer time will begin about a month earlier. *This will affect
    any OS programmed to change clocks automatically. *The last change was in
    the days of Win95, and MS put out a patch. * In '95, Linux wasn't at
    its present level of sophistication, of course."

    I have just installed the "timezone" package from Mandriva Updates, which
    gives effect to this change. Summer time starts during the first weekend
    in October, not the last. There is an international co-ordinating body,
    and users can subscribe to its announcements.

    Doug.

  2. Re: Change of timezone for 2008-9 ff.

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
    , Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    >On 11 Oct 2007 Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >"The news is that from the commencement of summertime in 2008, Victoria,
    >Australia will alter its time zone to agree with Tasmania instead of with
    >NSW/ACT.

    Uh, yeah - that went into the tzdata2007g tarball back in August.

    >>In '95, Linux wasn't at its present level of sophistication, of course."

    That may be, but the tzdata files are from the NIH, and they've been
    handling this a long time before Linux existed.

    >I have just installed the "timezone" package from Mandriva Updates, which
    >gives effect to this change. Summer time starts during the first weekend
    >in October, not the last.

    [compton ~]$ /usr/sbin/zdump -v Australia/Melbourne | grep ' 200[78] '
    Australia/Melbourne Sat Mar 24 15:59:59 2007 GMT = Sun Mar 25 02:59:59
    2007 EST isdst=1
    Australia/Melbourne Sat Mar 24 16:00:00 2007 GMT = Sun Mar 25 02:00:00
    2007 EST isdst=0
    Australia/Melbourne Sat Oct 27 15:59:59 2007 GMT = Sun Oct 28 01:59:59
    2007 EST isdst=0
    Australia/Melbourne Sat Oct 27 16:00:00 2007 GMT = Sun Oct 28 03:00:00
    2007 EST isdst=1
    Australia/Melbourne Sat Apr 5 15:59:59 2008 GMT = Sun Apr 6 02:59:59
    2008 EST isdst=1
    Australia/Melbourne Sat Apr 5 16:00:00 2008 GMT = Sun Apr 6 02:00:00
    2008 EST isdst=0
    Australia/Melbourne Sat Oct 4 15:59:59 2008 GMT = Sun Oct 5 01:59:59
    2008 EST isdst=0
    Australia/Melbourne Sat Oct 4 16:00:00 2008 GMT = Sun Oct 5 03:00:00
    2008 EST isdst=1
    [compton ~]$

    >There is an international co-ordinating body, and users can subscribe
    >to its announcements.

    I'm assuming you are referring to the NIH site - I get told about these
    changes internally, but what they are doing is monitoring the ftp site
    directly. That's ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/ where the current file
    is tzdata2007k released on 12/31/07. I don't believe there has been any
    other changes since tzdata2007g.

    Old guy

  3. Re: Change of timezone for 2008-9 ff.

    Doug Laidlaw writes:

    >On 11 Oct 2007 Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    >"The news is that from the commencement of summertime in 2008, Victoria,
    >Australia will alter its time zone to agree with Tasmania instead of with
    >NSW/ACT. *Summer time will begin about a month earlier. *This will affect
    >any OS programmed to change clocks automatically. *The last change was in
    >the days of Win95, and MS put out a patch. * In '95, Linux wasn't at
    >its present level of sophistication, of course."

    On the other hand I believe that even in 95 linux used the tzdata files,
    and the changes were "automatic" if you installed the right files. Note
    that there have been thousands of timezone changes since 1995 around the
    world and Linux and Unix have handled them without a problem.
    Note that unlike Windows, linux does not change its time at all. It uses
    the information purely to inform people what the correct date is.
    Internally linux uses utc, which is unaffected by any timezone changes.
    It is only when humans ask unix to show them the time ( eg by running date,
    or on file modification dates) that the timezone info is used.

    >I have just installed the "timezone" package from Mandriva Updates, which
    >gives effect to this change. Summer time starts during the first weekend
    >in October, not the last. There is an international co-ordinating body,
    >and users can subscribe to its announcements.

    >Doug.

+ Reply to Thread