Eazy Urpmi - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Eazy Urpmi - Mandriva ; Why does http://seerofsouls.com/addmedia/ appear to be way more up-to-date than http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ ??? Note the dated comments in the upper left and upper right of the two screens. Which one is a feller to use? Or, is there a _third_ one? ...

  1. Eazy Urpmi

    Why does
    http://seerofsouls.com/addmedia/

    appear to be way more up-to-date than

    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    ???

    Note the dated comments in the upper left and upper right of the two
    screens.

    Which one is a feller to use? Or, is there a _third_ one?

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  2. Re: Eazy Urpmi

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 16:56:00 -0500, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > Why does
    > http://seerofsouls.com/addmedia/
    > appear to be way more up-to-date than
    > http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

    sos has packages built with more recent versions of packages, then Mandriva
    has gotten around to building/testing. Note that if you install a newer version
    of kde, from sos, be sure to read
    http://seerofsouls.com/wiki/How-Tos/KDE-Upgrade
    or you may run into problems with the versions of the config files.

    I've used sos in the past, and appreciate all of the work that goes into it, but
    stopped using it, as having both sos and mandriva updates, can cause problems.
    For example, when Mandriva updates a package, but the version is actually older
    then the version from sos, but it gets selected anyway (due to errors in the rpm setup),
    and uses a different format for the config files. A real pain to debug.

    Unless you really need the latest version of some package from sos, I do not recommend
    using it. Even in that case, I'd suggest downloading the rpm, and then using urpmi
    to install it, rather then adding sos as a mirror, that will be searched for updates.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Eazy Urpmi

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > Why does
    > http://seerofsouls.com/addmedia/
    > appear to be way more up-to-date than
    > http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    > ???
    > Note the dated comments in the upper left and upper right of the two
    > screens.
    > Which one is a feller to use? Or, is there a _third_ one?
    >
    > Jonesy

    First, Easyurpmi.zarb.org simply provides lists of
    mirrors to download from. No rpms provided. The
    mirrors do not need updating often (and when they do,
    and your normal source is obsolete, you will soon
    recognize it.)Last time I looked, SoS was porting packages either
    not yet ready for general release or not intended for
    release to specific versions. (This was many months
    ago.)

    These "bleeding edge" packages may or may not work
    for you. If they work, great. If they break things,
    you get to keep all the pieces!

    If a package that eventually gets released diverges
    significantly from the version that SoS ported, this
    can complicate updates at a later time.

    YPYM, YTYP.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Eazy Urpmi

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 17:40:19 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 16:56:00 -0500, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >
    >> Why does
    >> http://seerofsouls.com/addmedia/
    >> appear to be way more up-to-date than
    >> http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

    > sos has packages built with more recent versions of packages, then Mandriva
    > has gotten around to building/testing.

    > I've used sos in the past, and appreciate all of the work that goes into it, but
    > stopped using it, as having both sos and mandriva updates, can cause problems.
    > For example, when Mandriva updates a package, but the version is actually older
    > then the version from sos, but it gets selected anyway (due to errors in the rpm setup),
    > and uses a different format for the config files. A real pain to debug.

    I used sos in the past to keep a tired old MDK 9.1 machine going, and
    going, and going ... :-) It was actually a MDK 9.1.9 box when the HDD
    finally died, died, died.

    > Unless you really need the latest version of some package from sos, I do not recommend
    > using it. Even in that case, I'd suggest downloading the rpm, and then using urpmi
    > to install it, rather then adding sos as a mirror, that will be searched for updates.

    That _is_ how I used the sos rpms in the past.

    It's just that some of the mirror lists are different between the two
    and the update comments on the front page of the sos web site would lead
    one to believe it is kept more current than the zarb web site.

    But, I've been using easyurpmi.zarb.org from Day 1 on this new 2008.0
    install. It's just that I had occasion to ask Google to (re)find
    EazyUrpmi for me in a browser without a bookmark for it, and one of the
    first hits was the seerofsouls.com/addmedia/ web page.

    Thanks & HNY
    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux