3rd hard drive goes read only - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 3rd hard drive goes read only - Mandriva ; I have a 3rd IDE hard drive connected to a PCI card that has now decided it is read only. I'm not able to delete any files, even logged in as root. When I boot into Windows, however, the drive ...

  1. 3rd hard drive goes read only

    I have a 3rd IDE hard drive connected to a PCI card that has now decided
    it is read only. I'm not able to delete any files, even logged in as
    root. When I boot into Windows, however, the drive reads and writes fine.

    Here is the relevant line from fstab

    /dev/hdf1 /mnt/data vfat noauto,users 0 0

    Any idea why the drive seems to work fine in XP, but seems to go read-only
    in Mandriva 07 Spring?

  2. Re: 3rd hard drive goes read only

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 10:31:57 -0600, Flip Wilson wrote:
    > I have a 3rd IDE hard drive connected to a PCI card that has now decided
    > it is read only. I'm not able to delete any files, even logged in as
    > root. When I boot into Windows, however, the drive reads and writes fine.
    >
    > Here is the relevant line from fstab
    >
    > /dev/hdf1 /mnt/data vfat noauto,users 0 0

    Well, are there any relevant lines in `dmesg`?

  3. Re: 3rd hard drive goes read only

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 11:31:57 -0500, Flip Wilson wrote:

    > I have a 3rd IDE hard drive connected to a PCI card that has now decided
    > it is read only. I'm not able to delete any files, even logged in as
    > /dev/hdf1 /mnt/data vfat noauto,users 0 0

    Try changing the above to
    /dev/hdf1 /mnt/data vfat defaults,users,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
    and, as suggested, check dmesg for any hardware/filesystem errors.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: 3rd hard drive goes read only

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 16:38:37 +0000, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 10:31:57 -0600, Flip Wilson wrote:
    >> I have a 3rd IDE hard drive connected to a PCI card that has now decided
    >> it is read only. I'm not able to delete any files, even logged in as
    >> root. When I boot into Windows, however, the drive reads and writes fine.
    >>
    >> Here is the relevant line from fstab
    >>
    >> /dev/hdf1 /mnt/data vfat noauto,users 0 0

    > Well, are there any relevant lines in `dmesg`?

    Here is what I found:

    [chris@localhost ~]$ dmesg | grep hdf
    ide2: MMIO-DMA , BIOS settings: hdeio, hdfio
    hdf: WDC WD2500JB-00REA0, ATA DISK drive
    hdf: max request size: 64KiB
    hdf: 488397168 sectors (250059 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=30401/255/63, UDMA(100)
    hdf: cache flushes supported
    hdf: hdf1
    [chris@localhost ~]$

    Doesn't appear to be anything wrong.

  5. Re: 3rd hard drive goes read only

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 12:07:25 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 11:31:57 -0500, Flip Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 3rd IDE hard drive connected to a PCI card that has now decided
    >> it is read only. I'm not able to delete any files, even logged in as
    >> /dev/hdf1 /mnt/data vfat noauto,users 0 0

    > Try changing the above to
    > /dev/hdf1 /mnt/data vfat defaults,users,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
    > and, as suggested, check dmesg for any hardware/filesystem errors.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Made the change to fstab. Does not appear to have any effect. Still cannot
    delete files from the drive.

    [chris@localhost ~]$ dmesg | grep hdf
    ide2: MMIO-DMA , BIOS settings: hdeio, hdfio
    hdf: WDC WD2500JB-00REA0, ATA DISK drive
    hdf: max request size: 64KiB
    hdf: 488397168 sectors (250059 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=30401/255/63, UDMA(100)
    hdf: cache flushes supported
    hdf: hdf1

  6. Re: 3rd hard drive goes read only

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 15:06:02 -0500, Flip Wilson wrote:

    > Made the change to fstab. Does not appear to have any effect. Still cannot
    > delete files from the drive.

    Is the mount command showing the drive as ro? Usually the filesystem becomes
    ro because the driver has found errors in the filesystem, that should be
    fixed using the native os. Try booting windows and running scandisk or
    chkdsk, on that filesystem.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins