Multimedia-desktop-kernel but no mouse! - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Multimedia-desktop-kernel but no mouse! - Mandriva ; I d/loaded kernel-desktop-latest rpm but using urpmi over my 2007.0 install. It was able to detect my WebcamGo (yey!) but 99% of the webcam apps run in X. For some reason the kernel from that rpm does NOT see a ...

  1. Multimedia-desktop-kernel but no mouse!

    I d/loaded kernel-desktop-latest rpm but using urpmi over my 2007.0
    install. It was able to detect my WebcamGo (yey!) but 99% of the
    webcam apps run in X. For some reason the kernel from that rpm does
    NOT see a mouse, like it was trade-off for having the webcam

    How do I go about adding it? 2007.0 stock on 686 runs just fine, with
    a mouse on a PS2 port; in fact, gpm works on just fine. I haven't had
    to do a modprobe mouse in ages (if that's the way to do it), even way
    back when it was still Mandrake.

    Any tips?

  2. Re: Multimedia-desktop-kernel but no mouse!

    shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    > I d/loaded kernel-desktop-latest rpm but using urpmi over my 2007.0
    > install. It was able to detect my WebcamGo (yey!) but 99% of the
    > webcam apps run in X. For some reason the kernel from that rpm does
    > NOT see a mouse, like it was trade-off for having the webcam
    >
    > How do I go about adding it? 2007.0 stock on 686 runs just fine, with
    > a mouse on a PS2 port; in fact, gpm works on just fine. I haven't had
    > to do a modprobe mouse in ages (if that's the way to do it), even way
    > back when it was still Mandrake.
    >
    > Any tips?

    First, load mcc (Mandriva Linux Control Center, the Mandriva
    system configuration frontend), go to hardware, and then
    to set up the pointer device. Tell the OS what you are
    using.

    Or, from a command line, run mousedrake, and set up your mouse.

    Or, if you have an old /etc/X11/xorg.conf file lying around,
    modify your current xorg.conf file's section on the mouse
    to match what worked before.

    If no joy, start by telling us what kernel you are running.
    uname -a
    The kernel-desktop-latest does not contain any kernel. It is
    a meta-data package that is dependent on the latest
    kernel specified, so the first question is, did you
    install just the kernel-desktop-latest or did you
    actually install a kernel?

    If the latter, what kernel? Did it create an
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.rpmnew or something like that?
    If so, use diff xorg.conf xorg.conf*new to
    see what changed, and maybe find what you want to
    change back to.

    I am running 2008.0, but kernel-tmb-desktop-2.6.23.12-2mdv
    is working very nicely for me. I seem to remember those
    booting from an ide drive have to load that driver first
    or some such, but for ata/sata it is smooth as silk. See
    if it is available for your version of the OS. No problems
    at all with the rodent.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Multimedia-desktop-kernel but no mouse!

    On Jan 4, 11:04 pm, Jim Beard wrote:
    > shed...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I d/loaded kernel-desktop-latest rpm but using urpmi over my 2007.0
    > > install. It was able to detect my WebcamGo (yey!) but 99% of the
    > > webcam apps run in X. For some reason the kernel from that rpm does
    > > NOT see a mouse, like it was trade-off for having the webcam

    > > How do I go about adding it? 2007.0 stock on 686 runs just fine, with
    > > a mouse on a PS2 port; in fact, gpm works on just fine. I haven't had
    > > to do a modprobe mouse in ages (if that's the way to do it), even way
    > > back when it was still Mandrake.

    > > Any tips?

    > First, load mcc (Mandriva Linux Control Center, the Mandriva
    > system configuration frontend), go to hardware, and then
    > to set up the pointer device. Tell the OS what you are
    > using.
    >
    > Or, from a command line, run mousedrake, and set up your mouse.
    >
    > Or, if you have an old /etc/X11/xorg.conf file lying around,
    > modify your current xorg.conf file's section on the mouse
    > to match what worked before.
    >
    > If no joy, start by telling us what kernel you are running.
    > uname -a
    > The kernel-desktop-latest does not contain any kernel. It is
    > a meta-data package that is dependent on the latest
    > kernel specified, so the first question is, did you
    > install just the kernel-desktop-latest or did you
    > actually install a kernel?
    >
    > If the latter, what kernel? Did it create an
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.rpmnew or something like that?
    > If so, use diff xorg.conf xorg.conf*new to
    > see what changed, and maybe find what you want to
    > change back to.
    >
    > I am running 2008.0, but kernel-tmb-desktop-2.6.23.12-2mdv
    > is working very nicely for me. I seem to remember those
    > booting from an ide drive have to load that driver first
    > or some such, but for ata/sata it is smooth as silk. See
    > if it is available for your version of the OS. No problems
    > at all with the rodent.

    Sorry I mistyped the kernel name; it's kernel-multimedia-desktop-
    latest
    (vmlinuz-2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-6mdv was automatically added to my
    lilo.conf). THis rpm turned up when I searched for epcam in
    rpm.pbone.net.

    Tried mousedrake and even command line mcc, but since there is no sign
    of the PS2 port OR mouse being detected in the bootup messages, it
    seemed that mousedrake made me go thru the motions without any
    improvement. It would save the existing xorg.conf after I had chosen
    'automatic' or 'standard 2 button mouse' but still no sign of life. (I
    am able to switch back to the working 2007.0 thanks to lilo, fyi)

    Am going to try some live CDs to see if they have epcam module that
    plays nice with mice =)

  4. Re: Multimedia-desktop-kernel but no mouse!

    shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    > Sorry I mistyped the kernel name; it's kernel-multimedia-desktop-
    > latest
    > (vmlinuz-2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-6mdv was automatically added to my
    > lilo.conf). THis rpm turned up when I searched for epcam in
    > rpm.pbone.net.

    It would seem you got the new kernel. Boot to it and run
    uname -a
    to confirm. vmlinuz-2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdv is the most
    recent "mm" kernel for 2008.08 and ~6mdv is not available,
    so I cannot check your kernel version.

    > Tried mousedrake and even command line mcc, but since there is no sign
    > of the PS2 port OR mouse being detected in the bootup messages, it
    > seemed that mousedrake made me go thru the motions without any
    > improvement. It would save the existing xorg.conf after I had chosen
    > 'automatic' or 'standard 2 button mouse' but still no sign of life. (I
    > am able to switch back to the working 2007.0 thanks to lilo, fyi)

    Go into mcc, to Hardware, to detect and browse hardware. Scroll down
    to the bottom and see what the entry is for mouse. If the mouse is
    not detected, you need to check connections and try a different mouse.

    > Am going to try some live CDs to see if they have epcam module that
    > plays nice with mice =)

    Good luck, but if the OS cannot detect a mouse you
    are not likely to get very far.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --