Reading CPU Core Temp - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Reading CPU Core Temp - Mandriva ; Hi again, everybody, and I hope you got whatever gifts you wanted. I solved my hardware problems of the past few months by buying a new system, a bottom-of-the-line Compaq (aka HP) desktop with a Celeron 420 CPU, and installing ...

  1. Reading CPU Core Temp

    Hi again, everybody, and I hope you got whatever gifts you wanted. I
    solved my hardware problems of the past few months by buying a new
    system, a bottom-of-the-line Compaq (aka HP) desktop with a Celeron 420
    CPU, and installing Mandriva 2008.0, kernel 2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv .
    What I can't figure out is how to read the temperature of the CPU core,
    which can somehow be read directly from some CPU registers. I gather
    that the module 'coretemp' can do just that and has reportedly been
    included with the kernel since 2.6.22, but it doesn't seem to be
    included in my system, or at least isn't included correctly:

    [adam@eris coretemp]$ sudo modprobe coretemp
    FATAL: Error inserting coretemp
    (/lib/modules/2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko):
    Invalid module format

    Could somebody point me in the right direction? I don't really care
    whether I use the 'coretemp' module or not, I just want to be able to
    read the CPU core temp somehow. Through Google I learned that the raw
    value is stored as a difference from some fixed maximum (85C or 100C)
    but couldn't find out how to get that value. It must be possible,
    because there are Win programs that can do this on my system. Thanks in
    advance for any guidance on this!

    Adam
    --
    Email: adam seven zero seven at verizon dot net

  2. Re: Reading CPU Core Temp

    on Saturday 05 January 2008 10:44
    Adam wrote:

    [snip]
    > What I can't figure out is how to read the temperature of the CPU core,

    [snip]

    Have you installed "lmsensors"?

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  3. Re: Reading CPU Core Temp

    Peter D. wrote:
    >> What I can't figure out is how to read the temperature of the CPU core,

    > Have you installed "lmsensors"?

    Thanks for the suggestion, Peter. Yep, lm_sensors is installed, but
    that only reads the outputs of the sensor chip. (I've figured out what
    most of those values indicate on my system, but that's another topic.)
    There's some registers in the CPU that measure the actual core temp.

    I'm still running lm_sensors version 2.10.4, because version 3 won't
    compile correctly on my system. Both use module 'coretemp' to get the
    value I'm looking for. I found C source for some version of module
    'coretemp' (also won't compile correctly on my system) and will be
    looking over it later today. Any suggestions, anybody, on what to do
    next? Thanks!

    Adam

  4. Re: Reading CPU Core Temp

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 18:44:24 -0500, Adam wrote:

    > system, a bottom-of-the-line Compaq (aka HP) desktop with a Celeron 420
    > CPU, and installing Mandriva 2008.0, kernel 2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv .
    > What I can't figure out is how to read the temperature of the CPU core,

    http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/supportlist.html shows that within the Celeron
    family, only Celeron-M 400 series, and Celeron E1000 series. Is your cpu
    a mobile, Celeron-M, or just a plain desktop Celeron?

    Mine has Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz,
    Family, model, stepping 15, 3, 4 (Pentium 4).

    Trying modprobe -v coretemp fails here with "No such device". I suspect
    we're both stuck with lm_sensors.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Reading CPU Core Temp

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 18:44:24 -0500, Adam wrote:

    > system, a bottom-of-the-line Compaq (aka HP) desktop with a Celeron 420
    > CPU, and installing Mandriva 2008.0, kernel 2.6.22.12-desktop-1mdv .
    > What I can't figure out is how to read the temperature of the CPU core,

    http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/supportlist.html shows that within the Celeron
    family, only Celeron-M 400 series, and Celeron E1000 series. Is your cpu
    a mobile, Celeron-M, or just a plain desktop Celeron?

    Mine has Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz,
    Family, model, stepping 15, 3, 4 (Pentium 4).

    Trying modprobe -v coretemp fails here with "No such device". I suspect
    we're both stuck with lm_sensors.

    > because there are Win programs that can do this on my system.

    Are you sure the win programs are reading the core temp, and not a sensor
    value?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Reading CPU Core Temp

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> What I can't figure out is how to read the temperature of the CPU core,

    > http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/supportlist.html shows that within the Celeron
    > family, only Celeron-M 400 series, and Celeron E1000 series. Is your cpu
    > a mobile, Celeron-M, or just a plain desktop Celeron?

    [adam@eris ~]$ uname -p
    Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz

    Plain desktop Celeron 420, apparently.

    > Trying modprobe -v coretemp fails here with "No such device". I suspect
    > we're both stuck with lm_sensors.

    [adam@eris ~]$ sudo modprobe -v coretemp
    insmod
    /lib/modules/2.6.22.15-desktop-1.uc1mdv/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko
    FATAL: Error inserting coretemp
    (/lib/modules/2.6.22.15-desktop-1.uc1mdv/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko):
    Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

    When I hacked the 'sensors-detect' script to always report that core
    temperature was available, that didn't get me anywhere because that
    forced use of the 'coretemp' module which as you can see is somehow
    screwed up on my system.

    >> because there are Win programs that can do this on my system.

    > Are you sure the win programs are reading the core temp, and not a sensor
    > value?

    "Hardware sensors monitor 4.3" showed "Mainboard xx.x C, CPU1 34.0 C,
    Temp3 26.0 C, CPU0 Core 55.0 C", and the 34 and 26 are in line with what
    lm_sensors reports. (They don't sound right, but they're consistent.)
    "Core Temp 0.96" only shows a core temp, but it's also around 50 C.

    I found C source for one version of the coretemp module, but couldn't
    understand it. Fortunately I see absolutely no signs of overheating;
    I'm just curious. Thanks for your suggestions!

    Adam

  7. Re: Reading CPU Core Temp

    Adam wrote:

    > Peter D. wrote:
    >>> What I can't figure out is how to read the temperature of the CPU core,

    >> Have you installed "lmsensors"?

    > Thanks for the suggestion, Peter. Yep, lm_sensors is installed, but
    > that only reads the outputs of the sensor chip. (I've figured out what
    > most of those values indicate on my system, but that's another topic.)
    > There's some registers in the CPU that measure the actual core temp.
    >
    > I'm still running lm_sensors version 2.10.4, because version 3 won't
    > compile correctly on my system. Both use module 'coretemp' to get the
    > value I'm looking for. I found C source for some version of module
    > 'coretemp' (also won't compile correctly on my system) and will be
    > looking over it later today. Any suggestions, anybody, on what to do
    > next? Thanks!
    >
    > Adam

    i think you might need the k8temp module as i need this to read the
    core temperatures of my dual core cpu

  8. Re: Reading CPU Core Temp

    Darklight wrote:
    >> I'm still running lm_sensors version 2.10.4, because version 3 won't
    >> compile correctly on my system. Both use module 'coretemp' to get the
    >> value I'm looking for.

    > i think you might need the k8temp module as i need this to read the
    > core temperatures of my dual core cpu

    Thanks for your help! Unfortunately it didn't seem to make any
    difference on my system. I think 'k8temp' is for AMD CPUs, and Intel
    chips (like my Celeron) need 'coretemp'.

    Adam

  9. Re: Reading CPU Core Temp

    Adam wrote:

    > Darklight wrote:
    >>> I'm still running lm_sensors version 2.10.4, because version 3 won't
    >>> compile correctly on my system. Both use module 'coretemp' to get the
    >>> value I'm looking for.

    >> i think you might need the k8temp module as i need this to read the
    >> core temperatures of my dual core cpu

    > Thanks for your help! Unfortunately it didn't seem to make any
    > difference on my system. I think 'k8temp' is for AMD CPUs, and Intel
    > chips (like my Celeron) need 'coretemp'.
    >
    > Adam

    ok try this:
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_AMD_Athlon_64_X2
    http://readlist.com/lists/lists.debi...28/144560.html

    I don't know if you can do this but if you can install opensuse rpms get
    these two rmps and see what happens

    k8temp-kmp-default-0.0_2.6.18.8_0.3-1.guru.suse102.i586.rpm
    k8temp-kmp-bigsmp-0.0_2.6.18.8_0.3-1.guru.suse102.i586.rpm

    or below before the k8temp rpm came out i used this shell script to load the
    k8temp module

    #!/bin/sh

    cd /home/username/.amd_digital_temp:
    insmod k8temp.ko

    i can't remember where i down loaded the module from thou or if you can
    still down load it

  10. Re: Reading CPU Core Temp

    Darklight wrote:
    > #!/bin/sh
    >
    > cd /home/username/.amd_digital_temp:
    > insmod k8temp.ko
    >
    > i can't remember where i down loaded the module from tho or if you can
    > still down load it

    Thanks for your help! No success, though. I've decided to forget about
    reading the core temp for now, because there are absolutely no signs of
    any overheating, so I'm not going to drive myself crazy trying. :-)

    Adam

  11. Re: Reading CPU Core Temp

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:32:44 +0000, Adam wrote:

    > Darklight wrote:
    >> #!/bin/sh
    >>
    >> cd /home/username/.amd_digital_temp:
    >> insmod k8temp.ko
    >>
    >> i can't remember where i down loaded the module from tho or if you can
    >> still down load it

    > Thanks for your help! No success, though. I've decided to forget about
    > reading the core temp for now, because there are absolutely no signs of
    > any overheating, so I'm not going to drive myself crazy trying. :-)

    Haven't followed this but k8temp was already loaded after 2008 install;
    [root@wes2 wes]# lsmod|grep k8temp
    k8temp 5120 0
    [root@wes2 wes]#

    All I did was check mark it in gkrellm and it shows both core temps.

  12. Re: Reading CPU Core Temp

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > Haven't followed this but k8temp was already loaded after 2008 install;
    > [root@wes2 wes]# lsmod|grep k8temp
    > k8temp 5120 0
    > [root@wes2 wes]#
    >
    > All I did was check mark it in gkrellm and it shows both core temps.

    I think k8temp is for AMD processors, and mine's an Intel. gkrellm
    looks interesting, though -- maybe there's some way it can display my
    core temp. Thanks, Wes!

    Adam

+ Reply to Thread