Best method to backup emails&home before installing Mandriva2008 ? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Best method to backup emails&home before installing Mandriva2008 ? - Mandriva ; Hi everyone, I wonder how I should backup my emails... I am currently using mandriva2007 and I plan to install (not upgrade) Mandriva2008. Of course, I d like to keep all my important files, in particular my emails (I use ...

  1. Best method to backup emails&home before installing Mandriva2008 ?

    Hi everyone,

    I wonder how I should backup my emails...
    I am currently using mandriva2007 and I plan to install (not upgrade)
    Mandriva2008.
    Of course, I d like to keep all my important files, in particular my
    emails (I use kmail)...

    Shall I make a copy of the mail directory ? Of the whole .kde
    directory ?

    I have my home directory on a separate partition.
    Would you recommend to keep it ?
    If I do, will the configuration files (e.g. in .kde) be upgraded to
    the Mandriva2008's taste ???

    I used to burn my whole /home on a CD, but there seems to be problems
    concerning files with long names...
    Is there any safe way to backup the whole /home on a CD/DVD ?

    Thanks !
    Vincent

  2. Re: Best method to backup emails&home before installing Mandriva2008?

    On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 00:17:27 -0800 (PST), Vincent M wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I wonder how I should backup my emails...
    > I am currently using mandriva2007 and I plan to install (not upgrade)
    > Mandriva2008.
    > Of course, I d like to keep all my important files, in particular my
    > emails (I use kmail)...
    >
    > Shall I make a copy of the mail directory ? Of the whole .kde
    > directory ?

    The problems I have seen in the past have been that new app release
    config files and old release may not feel good about new release config values.
    Example my ~/.xsession-errors would be huge with complaints about my
    desktop shortcuts.
    Clean install, set all my prefs, redid the shortcuts and
    ~/.xsession-errors did not have near the problems.

    > I have my home directory on a separate partition.
    > Would you recommend to keep it ?

    I have several spare ~12 gig partitions. I always do a clean install
    is a spare partition. When I am happy with it, it becomes the
    Production partition. When the old install is obsolete, I format it
    and will be used for the next install. Also allows me to boot old install

    $ grep title /boot/grub/menu.lst
    title linux
    title /2008_0
    title /2008_1
    title /hotbu
    title /2007_1
    title /kubu7
    title /fc8
    title /fc7
    title fedora_iso
    title XP_Home
    title XP_Rescue

    I have a /home/$USER and a /accounts/$USER. /accounts is on a separate
    partition and /home is in /.
    /home is not backed up, just /accounts

    That allows me to have separate /home for each release and distribution.
    I link from /home to /accounts for stuff common across releases/distributions.
    If you have a script to do the links and whatnot, you run the
    link script after install and all that is left is to set desktop manger prefs.

    snippet example:
    ln -s .cron /accounts/$USER
    ln -s .mozilla /accounts/$USER
    ln -s .thunderbird /accounts/$USER
    ln -s .signature/accounts/$USER
    ln -s .Skype/accounts/$USER
    ln -s bin /accounts/$USER
    ln -s comp /accounts/$USER
    ln -s work /accounts/$USER

    As for desktop shortcuts, I name all them starting with an x.
    That allows new install script to do a
    cp /accounts/$USER/Desktop/x* $HOME/Desktop
    cp /accounts/$USER/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositions \
    ~/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop

    > If I do, will the configuration files (e.g. in .kde) be upgraded to
    > the Mandriva2008's taste ???

    Depends on release. In the past the config files were updated and the
    old release did not like the new release contents.
    That is why I have /home separate for each distribution release.

    > I used to burn my whole /home on a CD, but there seems to be problems
    > concerning files with long names...
    > Is there any safe way to backup the whole /home on a CD/DVD ?

    I have a separate backup partition.
    Backup script copies all the files I want saved
    into bkup/same/dir, then generate the backup iso

    ------------ gen_backup snippet -------------

    _bkup_mount=/bk_up
    _files=$_bkup_mount/bkup
    _fn=/local/spare/bkup_${_yyyy}_${_mmm}_${_day_in_mo}.iso

    mkisofs -RJ -o $_fn $_files
    echo "To browse iso, mount_iso $_fn"

    ------------ end gen_backup snippet -------------

    Here is my mount_iso script
    #************************************************* ******
    #*
    #* mount_iso - mount iso in loopback to /mnt/cdrom
    #*
    #* Has to be executed by root.
    #*
    #************************************************* ******

    if [ $# -ne 1 ] ; then
    tput clear
    echo "Usage: $0 image.iso"
    exit 1
    fi

    _iso=$1

    if [ ! -d /iso ] ; then
    mkdir /iso
    fi

    if [ -r "$_iso" ] ; then
    mount -t auto -o users,ro,loop=/dev/loop0 $_iso /iso
    else
    echo "$_iso does not exists or perms not readable"
    exit 1
    fi

    ls -al /iso

    echo " "
    echo "iso Mounted at /iso"

    #************************ end mount_iso *********************

  3. Re: Best method to backup emails&home before installing Mandriva2008 ?

    Vincent M wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I wonder how I should backup my emails...
    > I am currently using mandriva2007 and I plan to install (not upgrade)
    > Mandriva2008.
    > Of course, I d like to keep all my important files, in particular my
    > emails (I use kmail)...
    >
    > Shall I make a copy of the mail directory ? Of the whole .kde
    > directory ?
    >
    > I have my home directory on a separate partition.
    > Would you recommend to keep it ?
    > If I do, will the configuration files (e.g. in .kde) be upgraded to
    > the Mandriva2008's taste ???
    >
    > I used to burn my whole /home on a CD, but there seems to be problems
    > concerning files with long names...
    > Is there any safe way to backup the whole /home on a CD/DVD ?
    >
    > Thanks !
    > Vincent

    I always backup .kde it holds more than just email. Like all of Kontact,
    Kontact list, calendar and more. I will usually backup /home on another
    partition on a 2nd hard drive. If your short on space you can also zip the
    directory. I don't know how you could get /home on a cd, maybe a dvd. Bit
    Twister has what I would say is the best solution. I have saved his reply
    for later consideration. Thanks BT

    Rich
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  4. Re: Best method to backup emails&home before installing Mandriva2008?

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:49:46 GMT, Rich wrote:

    > I always backup .kde it holds more than just email. Like all of Kontact,
    > Kontact list, calendar and more.

    Yes, I have it easy since I do not use the kde apps.
    If I did, my backup script would copy just the app_rc and data files to
    /accounts/$USER/.kde/where/ever and install script would copy
    /accounts/$USER/.kde/where/ever $HOME/.kde/where/ever

    > I will usually backup /home on another
    > partition on a 2nd hard drive. If your short on space you can also zip the
    > directory. I don't know how you could get /home on a cd, maybe a dvd. Bit
    > Twister has what I would say is the best solution. I have saved his reply
    > for later consideration. Thanks BT

    My method makes it nice for making a smaller backup. I have a separate
    account for each internet activity, (browser, usenet, bank, creditcard,,,)
    So, after copying the files to the bkup dir, the script does a

    for u in bittwister browser usenet bank mail
    do
    echo cleaning $_to/accounts/${u}
    rm -f -r $_to/accounts/${u}/.k*
    rm -f -r $_to/accounts/${u}/.adobe*
    rm -f -r $_to/accounts/${u}/.dbus*
    rm -f -r $_to/accounts/${u}/.gcon*
    rm -f -r $_to/accounts/${u}/.gimp*
    rm -f -r $_to/accounts/${u}/.gnom*
    rm -f -r $_to/accounts/${u}/.gnupg*
    rm -f -r $_to/accounts/${u}/.qt*
    rm -f -r $_to/accounts/${u}/.thum*
    rm -f -r $_to/accounts/${u}/.mp*
    rm -f -r $_to/accounts/${u}/.mc*
    rm -f -r $_to/accounts/${u}/.fullcircle
    rm -f -r $_to/accounts/${u}/.java
    rm -f -r $_to/accounts/${u}/tmp
    done

  5. Re: Best method to backup emails&home before installing Mandriva2008 ?

    On 2008-01-04, Vincent M wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I wonder how I should backup my emails...
    > I am currently using mandriva2007 and I plan to install (not upgrade)
    > Mandriva2008.
    > Of course, I d like to keep all my important files, in particular my
    > emails (I use kmail)...
    >
    > Shall I make a copy of the mail directory ? Of the whole .kde
    > directory ?
    >
    > I have my home directory on a separate partition.
    > Would you recommend to keep it ?
    > If I do, will the configuration files (e.g. in .kde) be upgraded to
    > the Mandriva2008's taste ???
    >
    > I used to burn my whole /home on a CD, but there seems to be problems
    > concerning files with long names...
    > Is there any safe way to backup the whole /home on a CD/DVD ?

    You can use tar to make a tarball of as much of /home as you
    want, then burn the tarball to a CD. Any long filenames are
    hidden inside the tarball, so they will be fine after
    untarring.

    If you're using real email (rather than web-based email),
    don't forget to tar up /var/spool/mail. If you use
    fetchmail, stop it before tarring /var/spool/mail. If you
    have others in your household who use the machine, they
    won't be happy if their new inbound email messages
    disappear. (Been there, done that... Oops!)

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  6. Re: Best method to backup emails&home before installing Mandriva2008 ?

    Vincent M writes:

    >Hi everyone,

    >I wonder how I should backup my emails...
    >I am currently using mandriva2007 and I plan to install (not upgrade)
    >Mandriva2008.
    >Of course, I d like to keep all my important files, in particular my
    >emails (I use kmail)...

    Backup /var/spool/mail (assuming that is what you use) -- or maybe just the
    entire /var/spool
    Also you own mail directory. You should of course backup you own home
    directory.

    >Shall I make a copy of the mail directory ? Of the whole .kde
    >directory ?

    >I have my home directory on a separate partition.
    >Would you recommend to keep it ?

    Of course, unless you want to throw it away.

    >If I do, will the configuration files (e.g. in .kde) be upgraded to
    >the Mandriva2008's taste ???

    In general yes. If you have trouble, just move .kde and the system will
    create a new one next time.

    >I used to burn my whole /home on a CD, but there seems to be problems
    >concerning files with long names...

    How are you doing it? joliet/rockridge preserves long file names. What
    problem do you think you are having.

    >Is there any safe way to backup the whole /home on a CD/DVD ?

    Just do it.

  7. Re: Best method to backup emails&home before installing Mandriva2008 ?

    Unruh wrote:

    > Vincent M writes:
    >
    >>Hi everyone,

    >>I wonder how I should backup my emails...
    >>I am currently using mandriva2007 and I plan to install (not
    >>upgrade) Mandriva2008.
    >>Of course, I d like to keep all my important files, in
    >>particular my emails (I use kmail)...

    > Backup /var/spool/mail (assuming that is what you use) -- or
    > maybe just the entire /var/spool
    > Also you own mail directory. You should of course backup you
    > own home directory.

    Kmail keeps mail in a hidden directory in your home directory
    called .Mail - if you lose this you lose all your email.

    To emphasise what others have said, the simplest and by far the
    safest solution is to keep a copy of the your entire home
    directory (I keep this backed up daily to an external drive
    using rsync). Then you can restore the necessary data and config
    files.

    I would strongly recommend this. If it's not possible then it is
    going to much more difficult to be selective but you need at a
    minimum .Mail and .kde Notice the '.' which is part of the file
    name and indicates a hidden file - choose show hidden files from
    the view menu in conqueror to see them if you wish.

    HTH
    Syd

  8. Re: Best method to backup emails&home before installing Mandriva2008 ?

    on Friday 04 January 2008 19:17
    Vincent M wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I wonder how I should backup my emails...
    > I am currently using mandriva2007 and I plan to install (not upgrade)
    > Mandriva2008.
    > Of course, I d like to keep all my important files, in particular my
    > emails (I use kmail)...
    >
    > Shall I make a copy of the mail directory ? Of the whole .kde
    > directory ?
    >
    > I have my home directory on a separate partition.
    > Would you recommend to keep it ?
    > If I do, will the configuration files (e.g. in .kde) be upgraded to
    > the Mandriva2008's taste ???
    >
    > I used to burn my whole /home on a CD, but there seems to be problems
    > concerning files with long names...
    > Is there any safe way to backup the whole /home on a CD/DVD ?
    >
    > Thanks !
    > Vincent

    There are many, many possibilities. Mandriva provides a backup
    utility called drakbackup. Hunt through your system menus.

    What is sensible depends on how much you value your data.

    Whatever you decide on, practice recovering files from your
    backup before you start trusting it.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.