Download duration while Easyurpmi - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Download duration while Easyurpmi - Mandriva ; Few weeks ago I installed Mandriva2008 free... when adding repositories "main udate plf-free" I noticed that in the console the amount of MB or time remaining did not appear - in Mandriva 2006PP it did... - so I had no ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Download duration while Easyurpmi

  1. Download duration while Easyurpmi

    Few weeks ago I installed Mandriva2008 free...

    when adding repositories "main udate plf-free" I noticed that in the
    console the amount of MB or time remaining did not appear - in
    Mandriva 2006PP it did... - so I had no ideas how long the download
    would last.

    Then the area suffered a power cut - not uncommon where I live...- :-(

    ....after that I could not get an internet connection anymore...I tried
    to understand the cause but do not have the knowledge to figure it
    out...I was sure it had something to do with the download being
    suddenly stopped, some .LOCK file somewhere maybe...

    So I reinstalled Mandriva2008free...

    Why that piece of information does not appear anymore?Is there a way
    to know the duration of the download other than the console while
    adding he repositories?



    Thanks, santo


    On a totally different level:
    ....was I hallucinating or when I installed the first time Googleearth
    was listed at Start/Internet/GoogleEarth?

    Now is nowhere to be seen/found...

    Thanks again

    ....please bear with me I am at office and writing from a windows
    machine using googlegroups...I'll try to use it less and less in the
    future...

  2. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    Santo wrote:
    > when adding repositories "main udate plf-free" I noticed that in the
    > console the amount of MB or time remaining did not appear - in
    > Mandriva 2006PP it did... - so I had no ideas how long the download
    > would last.


    With short downloads such as the cz file for plf-free, the
    download does not last long enough for your software to
    start displaying the size.

    > Then the area suffered a power cut - not uncommon where I live...- :-(
    > ...after that I could not get an internet connection anymore...I tried
    > to understand the cause but do not have the knowledge to figure it
    > out...I was sure it had something to do with the download being
    > suddenly stopped, some .LOCK file somewhere maybe...


    That problem is more likely to be at your router or modem,
    and you have told us nothing about either, nor about the
    nature of your connection. You likewise have not copied
    and pasted any error messages that appeared when you tried
    to connect to the internet again.

    > So I reinstalled Mandriva2008free...


    If you enjoy attacking piss-ant problems with a 16-lb sledgehammer,
    be my guest. But doing so will not help you learn how
    to handle the problem the next time it occurs, if its
    does indeed occur again.

    > Is there a way to know the duration of the download other
    > than the console while adding he repositories?


    Set up your mirrors and then, as root in a terminal window,
    urpmi --wget --auto-update --auto-select --auto
    You may get a little better reporting on status, but if the
    file is small you still will not see the size.

    > On a totally different level:
    > ...was I hallucinating or when I installed the first time Googleearth
    > was listed at Start/Internet/GoogleEarth?


    Why would one's mind hallucinate something like that?
    There are occasional problems with the menus in Mandriva
    but I mostly work from the command line and cannot help on
    this one. If a menu item or icon on the tool bar goes
    away that I want, I add a new one.

    > ...please bear with me I am at office and writing from a windows
    > machine using googlegroups...I'll try to use it less and less in the
    > future...


    Several of the folks who read this newsgroup killfile
    all posts from Google, so odds of a reply diminish. But
    a few will look at almost anything, and a reply from
    one of them will not trigger the killfile mechanism so
    eventually most potential respondents will see anything
    meriting a response.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    Santo writes:

    >Few weeks ago I installed Mandriva2008 free...


    >when adding repositories "main udate plf-free" I noticed that in the
    >console the amount of MB or time remaining did not appear - in
    >Mandriva 2006PP it did... - so I had no ideas how long the download
    >would last.


    >Then the area suffered a power cut - not uncommon where I live...- :-(


    >...after that I could not get an internet connection anymore...I tried
    >to understand the cause but do not have the knowledge to figure it
    >out...I was sure it had something to do with the download being
    >suddenly stopped, some .LOCK file somewhere maybe...


    No. That had nothing to do with you not being able to get an internet
    connection.



    >So I reinstalled Mandriva2008free...


    That was overkill.


    >Why that piece of information does not appear anymore?Is there a way
    >to know the duration of the download other than the console while
    >adding he repositories?



  4. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:09:44 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Santo wrote:
    >> when adding repositories "main udate plf-free" I noticed that in the
    >> console the amount of MB or time remaining did not appear - in
    >> Mandriva 2006PP it did... - so I had no ideas how long the download
    >> would last.

    >
    > With short downloads such as the cz file for plf-free, the download does
    > not last long enough for your software to start displaying the size.
    >
    >> Then the area suffered a power cut - not uncommon where I live...- :-(
    >> ...after that I could not get an internet connection anymore...I tried
    >> to understand the cause but do not have the knowledge to figure it
    >> out...I was sure it had something to do with the download being
    >> suddenly stopped, some .LOCK file somewhere maybe...

    >
    > That problem is more likely to be at your router or modem, and you have
    > told us nothing about either, nor about the nature of your connection.
    > You likewise have not copied and pasted any error messages that appeared
    > when you tried to connect to the internet again.
    >
    >> So I reinstalled Mandriva2008free...

    >
    > If you enjoy attacking piss-ant problems with a 16-lb sledgehammer, be
    > my guest. But doing so will not help you learn how to handle the
    > problem the next time it occurs, if its does indeed occur again.


    Well. I remember it said I did not have any LAN or WAN etc...configured,
    which was not the case...
    I really did not want to reinstall but I did not know what else to do...

    Poor ants!...

    I am connecting wireless with a D-Link box...anyway, I'll try again, only
    I would really be happy ( and it would simplify my task, If I knew how
    many MB or time remaining is left...)

    >> Is there a way to know the duration of the download other
    > > than the console while adding he repositories?

    >
    > Set up your mirrors and then, as root in a terminal window, urpmi --wget
    > --auto-update --auto-select --auto You may get a little better reporting
    > on status, but if the file is small you still will not see the size.


    You mean I should not follow the three steps suggested by EasyUrpmi?


    >> On a totally different level:
    >> ...was I hallucinating or when I installed the first time Googleearth
    >> was listed at Start/Internet/GoogleEarth?

    >
    > Why would one's mind hallucinate something like that? There are
    > occasional problems with the menus in Mandriva but I mostly work from
    > the command line and cannot help on this one. If a menu item or icon on
    > the tool bar goes away that I want, I add a new one.

    What I meant was that after the first installation "I thought" I saw
    GoogleEarth, now I can not even find it in MCC...


    >> ...please bear with me I am at office and writing from a windows
    >> machine using googlegroups...I'll try to use it less and less in the
    >> future...




    > Several of the folks who read this newsgroup killfile all posts from
    > Google, so odds of a reply diminish. But a few will look at almost
    > anything, and a reply from one of them will not trigger the killfile
    > mechanism so eventually most potential respondents will see anything
    > meriting a response.


    See? I set up my Pan newsreader agin at home...

    thanks,
    santo

    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.



  5. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 13:25:40 +0100 (CET), santo wrote:
    >
    > You mean I should not follow the three steps suggested by EasyUrpmi?


    Those 3 steps give you the command line commands to add the selected
    mirrors. Your other option is to use the GUI interface via Mandriva
    Control Center.


  6. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    santo wrote:
    > Well. I remember it said I did not have any LAN or WAN etc...configured,
    > which was not the case...


    To diagnose your problem, we need to know exactly
    what you tried to do, and what the error messages
    were (if any), or what happened (or did not happen).

    At this moment, I still have no idea exactly what
    your original problem was. If the Internet connection
    was not longer configured, use mcc to configure it.
    But I do not know if this was your problem.

    > I really did not want to reinstall but I did not know what else to do...


    That is now history. Learn what to do next time
    something goes amiss.

    > I am connecting wireless with a D-Link box...anyway, I'll try again, only
    > I would really be happy ( and it would simplify my task, If I knew how
    > many MB or time remaining is left...)


    Wireless? Connecting to your ISP wireless? Or connecting
    to another machine on a LAN wireless? This makes a big difference,
    either way. You must tell people what your system is like
    if you expect help.

    >> Set up your mirrors and then, as root in a terminal window, urpmi --wget
    >> --auto-update --auto-select --auto You may get a little better reporting
    >> on status, but if the file is small you still will not see the size.

    >
    > You mean I should not follow the three steps suggested by EasyUrpmi?


    The three steps required by EasyUrpmi set up your
    mirrors, sometimes called repositories. This specifies
    where to get additional software and updates for you machine.

    urpmi --wget --auto-update --auto-select --auto
    assumes you have done this already, and gets any
    updates available. It seems to provide somewhat more
    verbose status reports than the mcc interface, so maybe
    you will get better reporting on file size.

    Not to worry about losing power during a download,
    though. wget will remember what it has downloaded
    and start up again when next you run the above command.
    If the downloaded file is corrupt, the md5sum check
    will spot that, and the corrupt file will not be
    used for an install.
    >
    >>> On a totally different level:
    >>> ...was I hallucinating or when I installed the first time Googleearth
    >>> was listed at Start/Internet/GoogleEarth?

    >> Why would one's mind hallucinate something like that? There are
    >> occasional problems with the menus in Mandriva but I mostly work from
    >> the command line and cannot help on this one. If a menu item or icon on
    >> the tool bar goes away that I want, I add a new one.

    > What I meant was that after the first installation "I thought" I saw
    > GoogleEarth, now I can not even find it in MCC...


    In your menus, look under Internet for Google Earth Install.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 09:08:16 -0500, Jim Beard wrote:

    > urpmi --wget --auto-update --auto-select --auto
    > Not to worry about losing power during a download,
    > though. wget will remember what it has downloaded


    Add --resume to the above options, so a partially downloaded file will
    resume from where it left off.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  8. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 09:08:16 -0500, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> urpmi --wget --auto-update --auto-select --auto
    >> Not to worry about losing power during a download,
    >> though. wget will remember what it has downloaded

    >
    > Add --resume to the above options, so a partially downloaded file will
    > resume from where it left off.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins


    Doesn't wget do that automatically?

    Wget has been designed for robustness over slow or unstable
    network
    connections; if a download fails due to a network problem, it
    will keep
    retrying until the whole file has been retrieved. If the
    server sup-
    ports regetting, it will instruct the server to continue the
    download
    from where it left off.

    Is the --resume option for urpmi also needed?

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  9. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 14:49:21 -0500, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Is the --resume option for urpmi also needed?


    Yes, urpmi will not pass the -c option to wget, unless resume has been
    specified. wget will only auto resume, when it retries, during the
    same execution. On a fresh start, without the -c option, it will
    restart the download, from the beginning.

    At least, without going back, and retesting this, I'm pretty sure that's
    the case.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  10. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 14:08:16 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > santo wrote:


    > That is now history. Learn what to do next time something goes amiss.
    >
    >> I am connecting wireless with a D-Link box...anyway, I'll try again,
    >> only I would really be happy ( and it would simplify my task, If I knew
    >> how many MB or time remaining is left...)

    >
    > Wireless? Connecting to your ISP wireless? Or connecting to another
    > machine on a LAN wireless? This makes a big difference, either way.
    > You must tell people what your system is like if you expect help.


    Yes, I am connecting wireless to another machine on a LAN ...
    Anyway,... I used the "three steps" ; no info on the console so I let it
    there to see what happen and after fortyseven minutes in total "main" and
    "main_update" were added.
    Plf-free took a wink of an eye...

    >>> Set up your mirrors and then, as root in a terminal window, urpmi
    >>> --wget --auto-update --auto-select --auto You may get a little better
    >>> reporting on status, but if the file is small you still will not see
    >>> the size.

    >>
    >> You mean I should not follow the three steps suggested by EasyUrpmi?

    >
    > The three steps required by EasyUrpmi set up your mirrors, sometimes
    > called repositories. This specifies where to get additional software
    > and updates for you machine.
    >
    > urpmi --wget --auto-update --auto-select --auto assumes you have done
    > this already, and gets any updates available. It seems to provide
    > somewhat more verbose status reports than the mcc interface, so maybe
    > you will get better reporting on file size.


    ....OK! I have a confession to make!

    After four years using Mandrake/Mandriva I still do not know/understand/
    am sure/ how this all work.

    :-(

    I thought that adding the repositories was all I needed to do, now you
    say that /after/ adding them I should "...urpmi --wget --auto-update --
    auto-select --auto..."

    ....

    Beats me!

    Please keep in mind that I am a totally ignorant computer user; I got my
    first computer four years ago and started right away with Linux/
    Mandrake_9.1...and many things people might think should be obvious , are
    not obvious to me. I have no idea how the NET works, I do my homework but
    now I am forced to ask ...
    -OK, now that I have the main repository added what ma I supposed to do?
    - and most of all why?...and by the way, do I /have/ to add contrib as
    well?...

    Phew! it is hard to admit a defeat but sort of "liberating" also...
    Thanks for your help...
    santo



    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.



  11. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 06:20:53 -0500, santo wrote:

    > I thought that adding the repositories was all I needed to do, now you
    > say that /after/ adding them I should "...urpmi --wget --auto-update --
    > auto-select --auto..."


    The auto-update is not needed, if auto-select is being used, immediately
    after adding the repositories. Doesn't hurt, but is not needed.

    urpmi.addmedia will create the files in /var/lib/urpmi, for the new repository.

    urpmi --auto-update will check to see if the mirror has had any updates, and
    then update the files in /var/lib/urpmi, if needed.

    urpmi --auto-select will compare each package listed as available in the
    /var/lib/urpmi files, with the version that is installed, and select
    any updates, for already installed packages.

    > -OK, now that I have the main repository added what ma I supposed to do?
    > - and most of all why?...and by the way, do I /have/ to add contrib as
    > well?..


    Contrib has a lot of packages created by users, not by Mandriva. It is
    a good idea to add it, as well as contrib updates, plf (free & non-free),
    plust plf updates (again, free & non-free).

    After adding the main repository, and main updates, you should run
    urpmi --auto-select, to get the various updates.

    While I would expect main repository to be static, given that there is a
    separate main updates repository, that isn't the case. Most updates are
    only in the updates repository, but for some reason, main is sometimes
    updated, as well, including (possibly only) the addition of new packages.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  12. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    santo wrote:
    > Yes, I am connecting wireless to another machine on a LAN ...
    > Anyway,... I used the "three steps" ; no info on the console so I let it
    > there to see what happen and after fortyseven minutes in total "main" and
    > "main_update" were added.
    > Plf-free took a wink of an eye...


    If I remember correctly, main, main-update,
    and contrib are close to 10 MB in size. The
    plf repositories are maybe a few hundred KB.

    Are you on dial-up? If so, we really need to
    know. This will make a big difference in the
    strategy used to get needed updates, as there
    are (at a WAG) maybe 700 MB to be downloaded.

    If on dial-up, you will first need to schedule
    your downloads for midnight to 6 am, and each
    night pick packages that will total about the
    right amount to complete in that time.

    Add to that, you should first update those
    things used in updating your system -- anything
    with a name starting or ending in drak or drake,
    wget and curl, rpm, anything starting urpmi.

    After that, maybe the x11 packages, and then
    applications programs.

    > I thought that adding the repositories was all I needed to do, now you
    > say that /after/ adding them I should "...urpmi --wget --auto-update --
    > auto-select --auto..."


    I know there is an option when installing to have
    the OS alert you when there is an update to be installed.
    Maybe there is an option to automatically do the
    update. Hmmmmm. 47 minutes to download and install
    updates from main and main_updates might be about right.

    Launch mcc and start off as if updating your system
    using the GUI. See how much it says you need to
    update. If it is a few packages, install them.
    If it is a few hundred packages, and you are on
    dial-up, it is time to start thinking.

    > -OK, now that I have the main repository added what ma I supposed to do?
    > - and most of all why?...and by the way, do I /have/ to add contrib as
    > well?...


    main contains the same packages you get on the install dvd.
    It's main purpose is to allow you to install additional
    software without resorting to an install disk.

    main_updates contains updates to the packages in main.

    contrib and contrib_updates contains many of the
    applications programs you have installed on your system.
    You do need them.

    The plf repositories contain software that either is
    proprietary (not available in source code) or that
    may infringe on patents or copyrights in some countries.

    Some audio codecs, video software, and reverse
    engineered drivers falls in these categories.

    Now, with your repositories set up using easyurpmi,
    launch mcc, go to software management, then to
    configure media sources for install and updates,
    and see what mirrors are set up and enabled. If
    that is ok, quit that and go to updates and see what
    you need to update.

    Cheers!

    jim b.


    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  13. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 04:13:45 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > santo wrote:
    >> Yes, I am connecting wireless to another machine on a LAN ...
    >> Anyway,... I used the "three steps" ; no info on the console so I let
    >> it there to see what happen and after fortyseven minutes in total
    >> "main" and "main_update" were added.
    >> Plf-free took a wink of an eye...

    >
    > If I remember correctly, main, main-update, and contrib are close to 10
    > MB in size. The plf repositories are maybe a few hundred KB.
    >
    > Are you on dial-up? If so, we really need to know. This will make a
    > big difference in the strategy used to get needed updates, as there are
    > (at a WAG) maybe 700 MB to be downloaded.
    >
    > If on dial-up, you will first need to schedule your downloads for
    > midnight to 6 am, and each night pick packages that will total about the
    > right amount to complete in that time.
    >
    > Add to that, you should first update those things used in updating your
    > system -- anything with a name starting or ending in drak or drake, wget
    > and curl, rpm, anything starting urpmi.
    >
    > After that, maybe the x11 packages, and then applications programs.
    >
    >> I thought that adding the repositories was all I needed to do, now you
    >> say that /after/ adding them I should "...urpmi --wget --auto-update --
    >> auto-select --auto..."

    >
    > I know there is an option when installing to have the OS alert you when
    > there is an update to be installed. Maybe there is an option to
    > automatically do the update. Hmmmmm. 47 minutes to download and
    > install updates from main and main_updates might be about right.
    >
    > Launch mcc and start off as if updating your system using the GUI. See
    > how much it says you need to update. If it is a few packages, install
    > them. If it is a few hundred packages, and you are on dial-up, it is
    > time to start thinking.
    >
    >> -OK, now that I have the main repository added what ma I supposed to
    >> do? - and most of all why?...and by the way, do I /have/ to add contrib
    >> as well?...

    >
    > main contains the same packages you get on the install dvd. It's main
    > purpose is to allow you to install additional software without resorting
    > to an install disk.
    >
    > main_updates contains updates to the packages in main.
    >
    > contrib and contrib_updates contains many of the applications programs
    > you have installed on your system. You do need them.
    >
    > The plf repositories contain software that either is proprietary (not
    > available in source code) or that may infringe on patents or copyrights
    > in some countries.
    >
    > Some audio codecs, video software, and reverse engineered drivers falls
    > in these categories.
    >
    > Now, with your repositories set up using easyurpmi, launch mcc, go to
    > software management, then to configure media sources for install and
    > updates, and see what mirrors are set up and enabled. If that is ok,
    > quit that and go to updates and see what you need to update.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.


    Thanks guys about everything...it seems clearer now...

    at least I hope...
    :-)
    santo

  14. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > santo wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, I am connecting wireless to another machine on a LAN ...
    >> Anyway,... I used the "three steps" ; no info on the console so I let
    >> it there to see what happen and after fortyseven minutes in total
    >> "main" and "main_update" were added.
    >> Plf-free took a wink of an eye...

    >
    >
    > If I remember correctly, main, main-update,
    > and contrib are close to 10 MB in size. The
    > plf repositories are maybe a few hundred KB.
    >
    > Are you on dial-up? If so, we really need to
    > know. This will make a big difference in the
    > strategy used to get needed updates, as there
    > are (at a WAG) maybe 700 MB to be downloaded.
    >
    > If on dial-up, you will first need to schedule
    > your downloads for midnight to 6 am, and each
    > night pick packages that will total about the
    > right amount to complete in that time.


    As a relatively recent escapee from dial-up, that makes me shiver.
    Dial-up is charged by the second...

    And good luck keeping a modem connection up for 6 hours.

    Is there any easy/automated way of doing this from a CD? -- assuming
    there's some CD image that can be downloaded on a better-equiped PC
    elsewhere first.

    Frank

  15. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi



    >> santo wrote:
    >>> Yes, I am connecting wireless to another machine on a LAN ...
    >>> Anyway,... I used the "three steps" ; no info on the console so I let
    >>> it there to see what happen and after fortyseven minutes in total
    >>> "main" and "main_update" were added.
    >>> Plf-free took a wink of an eye...


    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >> If I remember correctly, main, main-update,
    >> and contrib are close to 10 MB in size. The
    >> plf repositories are maybe a few hundred KB.
    >>
    >> Are you on dial-up? If so, we really need to
    >> know. This will make a big difference in the
    >> strategy used to get needed updates, as there
    >> are (at a WAG) maybe 700 MB to be downloaded.
    >>
    >> If on dial-up, you will first need to schedule
    >> your downloads for midnight to 6 am, and each
    >> night pick packages that will total about the
    >> right amount to complete in that time.


    Frank Peelo wrote:
    > As a relatively recent escapee from dial-up, that makes me shiver.
    > Dial-up is charged by the second...
    >
    > And good luck keeping a modem connection up for 6 hours.
    >
    > Is there any easy/automated way of doing this from a CD? -- assuming
    > there's some CD image that can be downloaded on a better-equiped PC
    > elsewhere first.


    Use urpmi to set up the mirrors on a fast-connection
    machine as if it were your slow-connection machine.

    Add the --no-install option to your urpmi command. In effect,
    "Only download packages, don't install them. After operation, you'll
    find them in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms." (from man urpmi )

    urpmi --no-install --wget --auto-update --auto-select --auto
    will get all updates needed. Burn them to a CD. Take the
    CD to your machine, and copy them to a directory there,
    maybe $HOME/newdir. cd to $HOME/newdir and use the command
    urpmi ./* and everything will be installed.

    Run md5sum on the packages downloaded and then again
    on the packages when in $HOME/newdir. If they do not
    match, that could bollix things.

    If the fast-connection machine is a Winblows machine,
    on your machine use mcc as if you were going to update
    or install, but stop just before installing. Use the
    list of what would be installed as your shopping list.
    Use ftp or gftp or whatever to go to the mirrors
    (/etc/urpmi.cfg will have the list of mirrors, and
    pathnames to the repositories you need as well) and
    use the fast machine to download the packages you need
    that way. If you skip the mcc routine, you may not
    get all packages needed and wind up in dependency hell...

    It is not real easy, but it will work. And a few hundred
    megabytes on dial-up can take hours. Been there. Done that.
    Much prefer fiber to the home, and 10 minutes to download
    700MB of updates after a new OS install.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  16. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:17:17 +0100, santo wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 04:13:45 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> santo wrote:
    >>> Yes, I am connecting wireless to another machine on a LAN ...
    >>> Anyway,... I used the "three steps" ; no info on the console so I let
    >>> it there to see what happen and after fortyseven minutes in total
    >>> "main" and "main_update" were added.
    >>> Plf-free took a wink of an eye...

    >>
    >> If I remember correctly, main, main-update, and contrib are close to 10
    >> MB in size. The plf repositories are maybe a few hundred KB.
    >>
    >> Are you on dial-up? If so, we really need to know. This will make a
    >> big difference in the strategy used to get needed updates, as there are
    >> (at a WAG) maybe 700 MB to be downloaded.
    >>
    >> If on dial-up, you will first need to schedule your downloads for
    >> midnight to 6 am, and each night pick packages that will total about
    >> the right amount to complete in that time.
    >>
    >> Add to that, you should first update those things used in updating your
    >> system -- anything with a name starting or ending in drak or drake,
    >> wget and curl, rpm, anything starting urpmi.
    >>
    >> After that, maybe the x11 packages, and then applications programs.
    >>
    >>> I thought that adding the repositories was all I needed to do, now you
    >>> say that /after/ adding them I should "...urpmi --wget --auto-update
    >>> -- auto-select --auto..."

    >>
    >> I know there is an option when installing to have the OS alert you when
    >> there is an update to be installed. Maybe there is an option to
    >> automatically do the update. Hmmmmm. 47 minutes to download and
    >> install updates from main and main_updates might be about right.
    >>
    >> Launch mcc and start off as if updating your system using the GUI. See
    >> how much it says you need to update. If it is a few packages, install
    >> them. If it is a few hundred packages, and you are on dial-up, it is
    >> time to start thinking.
    >>
    >>> -OK, now that I have the main repository added what ma I supposed to
    >>> do? - and most of all why?...and by the way, do I /have/ to add
    >>> contrib as well?...

    >>
    >> main contains the same packages you get on the install dvd. It's main
    >> purpose is to allow you to install additional software without
    >> resorting to an install disk.
    >>
    >> main_updates contains updates to the packages in main.
    >>
    >> contrib and contrib_updates contains many of the applications programs
    >> you have installed on your system. You do need them.
    >>
    >> The plf repositories contain software that either is proprietary (not
    >> available in source code) or that may infringe on patents or copyrights
    >> in some countries.
    >>
    >> Some audio codecs, video software, and reverse engineered drivers falls
    >> in these categories.
    >>
    >> Now, with your repositories set up using easyurpmi, launch mcc, go to
    >> software management, then to configure media sources for install and
    >> updates, and see what mirrors are set up and enabled. If that is ok,
    >> quit that and go to updates and see what you need to update.



    OK I did that...( it took quite a few days to actually find the courage
    to do that...)

    Main and main_updates are checked

    Now when I go to update ( by the way, I do not "see" what I need to
    update and it does not tell me either...) I get a little window telling
    me to wait " updating medium main_updates"...it stays forever!... and if
    I minimise the windows when I restore it is totally erased ( I believe it
    happens when a program is not responding?..)

    Anyway, these two lines are from the command "ps -el" while updating...

    4 S 0 6818 6607 0 80 0 - 13698 pipe_w ? 00:00:01 MandrivaUpdate
    0 S 0 6827 6818 0 80 0 - 1071 select ? 00:00:00 wget


    given that I have no intention to spend long time in front of a screen
    especially if I am not ebven sure IF the updating is happening or how
    long I'll have to wait I killed 6818 and 6827.

    Now if I urpmi I get the message rpm database locked...
    :-(



    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.

    >
    > Thanks guys about everything...it seems clearer now...
    >
    > at least I hope...
    > :-)
    > santo



    who lives with hope, will die singing...Italian proverb...




  17. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 07:00:59 -0500, santo wrote:

    > Now when I go to update ( by the way, I do not "see" what I need to
    > update and it does not tell me either...) I get a little window telling
    > me to wait " updating medium main_updates"...it stays forever!... and if
    > I minimise the windows when I restore it is totally erased ( I believe it
    > happens when a program is not responding?..)


    Not responding to the xserver, because it is busy elsewhere.

    From "ll -h /var/lib/urpmi"
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 56M 2007-12-12 23:44 hdlist.Contrib (Official2008.0-8).cz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 35M 2007-11-10 01:20 hdlist.Main (Official2008.0-4).cz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 784K 2007-11-09 02:19 hdlist.Non-free (Official2008.0-12).cz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 149K 2008-01-06 17:18 hdlist.plf-free_backports.cz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.3M 2007-12-31 15:20 hdlist.plf-free_release.cz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 41K 2008-01-05 14:13 hdlist.plf-nonfree_backports.cz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.2M 2007-12-27 22:19 hdlist.plf-nonfree_release.cz

    I use systhesis.hdllist, for all of the updates, since I already have the
    package descriptions, from the non-update versions. (I'm on dialup).

    Open a second terminal, and run "ll -h /var/cache/urpmi/partial", and you
    will be able to see what progress, has been made so far.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins
    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  18. Re: Download duration while Easyurpmi

    santo wrote:
    > OK I did that...( it took quite a few days to actually find the courage
    > to do that...)
    >
    > Main and main_updates are checked
    >
    > Now when I go to update ( by the way, I do not "see" what I need to
    > update and it does not tell me either...) I get a little window telling
    > me to wait " updating medium main_updates"...it stays forever!... and if
    > I minimise the windows when I restore it is totally erased ( I believe it
    > happens when a program is not responding?..)
    >
    > Anyway, these two lines are from the command "ps -el" while updating...
    >
    > 4 S 0 6818 6607 0 80 0 - 13698 pipe_w ? 00:00:01 MandrivaUpdate
    > 0 S 0 6827 6818 0 80 0 - 1071 select ? 00:00:00 wget
    >
    >
    > given that I have no intention to spend long time in front of a screen
    > especially if I am not ebven sure IF the updating is happening or how
    > long I'll have to wait I killed 6818 and 6827.
    >
    > Now if I urpmi I get the message rpm database locked...


    First, I would very much like to know if you are on dial-up.
    If not, I want to know how fast your connection is. As stated
    earlier, such things make a great deal of difference, as
    the lists you need to download are in some cases large.
    To show just a few,

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2335045 2008-01-12 23:22
    hdlist.contrib_backports.cz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 56271510 2007-12-12 23:00 hdlist.contrib.cz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13550385 2008-01-12 08:45
    hdlist.contrib_updates.cz
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 1410984 2008-01-10 19:58 hdlist.main_backports.cz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 33138181 2007-12-08 10:44 hdlist.main.cz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9856900 2008-01-13 13:44 hdlist.main_updates.cz

    The above totals over 100 MB, and downloading that may take a
    whole bunch of time unless you have a fast connection. Complaining
    will do nothing, if this is your problem.

    The lines MandrivaUpdate and wget mean that the update
    software is currently using wget to download files.

    If your connection is slow, you best get used to the idea
    of spending a long time updating. Killing the processes
    simply left the lockfile in place. Use locate urpmi
    to find where urpmi keeps things, and use
    ls -laR |egrep 'lock|LOCK'
    while in appropriate places in the file system to find
    the name of the lockfile. Once found, use
    find . -name whateverthenamewas -print
    to get the path. Then remove it.

    If the lockfile has been in place long enough to get
    entered in locate's database, you may be able to find
    it by running locate urpmi
    and looking through the list of stuff returned.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

+ Reply to Thread