Re: Thunderbird newsgroup message filters - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Re: Thunderbird newsgroup message filters - Mandriva ; On Wed, 02 Jan 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article , TJ wrote: >Moe Trin wrote: >> Scream at your ISP - others are filtering the crap off. As for >> Thunderbird - "get a real news reader". ...

  1. Re: Thunderbird newsgroup message filters

    <477beec4$0$26022$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>, TJ wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >> Scream at your ISP - others are filtering the crap off. As for
    >> Thunderbird - "get a real news reader".

    >Not a chance. First of all, my ISP doesn't provide newsgroups at this
    >time. It's a small, fixed wireless provider, supplying high-speed
    >service to a rural area. The owner says he might provide newsgroups once
    >his company becomes more established, but it's not in the cards yet.

    I can understand that. Running a full blown news server takes a fair
    sized system with possibly significant disk space if you want to have
    any retention (we're talking gigabytes just for the text groups) and
    decent bandwidth. The last I checked, the news server at work had about
    3 Terabytes of disk, and was eating just over 1.5 Gigabytes of bandwidth
    per day, and we don't carry any binary groups.

    There is also the administrative costs (24/7 people aren't free), let
    alone deciding what groups to carry (the official "List of Big Eight
    Newsgroups" that is posted to news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and
    news.lists.misc every month currently lists 2290 newsgroups, but most
    news servers carry ten to fifty times that many groups).

    >That's why I'm using a free Teranews account.

    >Second of all, I get my service for free because I host a relay point.
    >Even if he did provide newsgroups, I'm not about to complain about so
    >trivial a matter and queer the deal.

    There are better news providers - and even if you decided to go to a
    "for pay" system like individual.net in Germany (10 Euros/yr - about
    US$15), you'd find it worth while.

    Old guy

  2. Re: Thunderbird newsgroup message filters

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 20:59:04 -0600, Moe Trin wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008, TJ wrote:
    >>Moe Trin wrote:

    >>> Scream at your ISP - others are filtering the crap off. As for
    >>> Thunderbird - "get a real news reader".

    >>Not a chance. First of all, my ISP doesn't provide newsgroups at this
    >>time. It's a small, fixed wireless provider, supplying high-speed
    >>service to a rural area. The owner says he might provide newsgroups once
    >>his company becomes more established, but it's not in the cards yet.

    > I can understand that. Running a full blown news server takes a fair
    > sized system with possibly significant disk space if you want to have
    > any retention (we're talking gigabytes just for the text groups) and
    > decent bandwidth. The last I checked, the news server at work had about
    > 3 Terabytes of disk, and was eating just over 1.5 Gigabytes of bandwidth
    > per day, and we don't carry any binary groups.
    >
    > There is also the administrative costs (24/7 people aren't free), let
    > alone deciding what groups to carry (the official "List of Big Eight
    > Newsgroups" that is posted to news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and
    > news.lists.misc every month currently lists 2290 newsgroups, but most
    > news servers carry ten to fifty times that many groups).
    >
    >>That's why I'm using a free Teranews account.

    >>Second of all, I get my service for free because I host a relay point.
    >>Even if he did provide newsgroups, I'm not about to complain about so
    >>trivial a matter and queer the deal.

    > There are better news providers - and even if you decided to go to a
    > "for pay" system like individual.net in Germany (10 Euros/yr - about
    > US$15), you'd find it worth while.

    I sit here in my home office in Colorado, using my shell account at an
    ISP in N.E. Ohio, reading usenet (with slrn) via individual.net in Berlin.

    I've been happy as a clam with this since around The Turn Of The Century.

    individual.net : Recommended

    old Guy, too -- first Sys/360 Assembler Language program in Sept., 1966.
    Five years of repairing and modifying _analog_ computers before that.
    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts: