control disk cache - Mandriva

This is a discussion on control disk cache - Mandriva ; is there a way to tell linux how much ram it can use for cache and buffers...

  1. control disk cache

    is there a way to tell linux how much ram it can use for cache and buffers

  2. Re: control disk cache

    chris gareau wrote:

    > is there a way to tell linux how much ram it can use for cache and buffers

    you can tune how use it with proc interface and I think also how much but by
    default it use all unused ram so it's the best setup for almost any use.

    --
    Trazione a quattro ruote: insabbiarsi nei luoghi piu' inaccessibili.
    -- Fabio Gruppioni

  3. Re: control disk cache

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 03:43:38 -0500, nero <4news@retesintesi.it> wrote:

    > chris gareau wrote:
    >> is there a way to tell linux how much ram it can use for cache and buffers

    > you can tune how use it with proc interface and I think also how much but by
    > default it use all unused ram so it's the best setup for almost any use.

    For some reason, Chris's article never made it to my newsserver, so I'll
    append my answer here.

    From an article posted here some time ago, I've added the following to
    /etc/rc.d/rc.local
    sysctl -w vm.swappiness=1 # Stop applications from being swapped to disk
    sysctl -w vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50 # Don't shrink the inode cache

    The above will reduce the overall performance of the system, but improvethe
    responsivness for terminal users, by reducing the likelyhood of the actual
    applications, or directory listings, from being paged out.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: control disk cache

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 03:43:38 -0500, nero <4news@retesintesi.it> wrote:
    >
    >> chris gareau wrote:
    >>> is there a way to tell linux how much ram it can use for cache and buffers

    >> you can tune how use it with proc interface and I think also how much but by
    >> default it use all unused ram so it's the best setup for almost any use.

    > For some reason, Chris's article never made it to my newsserver, so I'll
    > append my answer here.
    >
    > From an article posted here some time ago, I've added the following to
    > /etc/rc.d/rc.local
    > sysctl -w vm.swappiness=1 # Stop applications from being swapped to disk
    > sysctl -w vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50 # Don't shrink the inode cache
    >
    > The above will reduce the overall performance of the system, but improve the
    > responsivness for terminal users, by reducing the likelyhood of the actual
    > applications, or directory listings, from being paged out.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    thanx but I have alredy done those tweeks, is there a way to tell the
    kernel how much ran it can use for cache???

+ Reply to Thread